freebie: 93 Plymouth Sundance

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
jory543
Master Standardshifter

freebie: 93 Plymouth Sundance

Post by jory543 »

I got this cream puff for free the other day. It's a 93 Plymouth Sundance 2.2/auto, fairly base model car other than the autotragic/rear defrost and the A/C has already been deleted. It needed an alternator so I swapped the one out of my Laser into it and it runs awesome. It has a small fuel leak that I will have to address but other than that it's in good shape mechanically. 201k and still running strong but the body shows every mile of it. This is going to be my new bomber, I could really care less about how it looks. No need for me to worry about messing it up! It would be sweet if I put my Spirit's drivetrain in this, 500 pounds lighter and a shorter wheelbase FTMFW!

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: freebie: 93 Plymouth Sundance

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Awesome. I'm assuming you won't be driving the van anymore now right? I remember you posted a few weeks ago how much you missed driving a small, nimble car. Well, this isn't an Elise, but hey, better than the van :lol: Sweet find!
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

Yep the van will be getting parked and only used to tow/haul stuff when needed. Even though this has 200 less ft/lbs and 100 less hp than the van it feels much snappier and no fear of going upside-down on high speed curves! Not to mention all the gas I'll save... It has fairly new shocks and brakes so it drives good. Best xmas gift ever :D
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Driving a beater is cool.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I wish I had a beater that I could just drive without caring about. I get too paranoid doing stuff in this car because I don't want anything to happen to it.
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

So it warmed right the heck up today to around 50, and I was up at 6 AM because I slept like crap. So I made another trip to the junkyard and got a good alternator. Only one out of the three I tried were good, maybe because most were buried in snow or maybe the Denso alternator is sh!t.

Anyway that's fixed, I patched the fuel leak and replaced the sending unit as well. I thought the car came with a free 1/2 tank of gas but when it ran out while idling I knew the sender was bad. 6 bux gave me 1/4 tank WOOT. I drove it around a bit and it drives good. The front end will need some work though, sounds like both wheel bearings are worn and the power steering doesn't work. It's empty according to the dipstick, hopefully all it needs is some fluid because I don't feel like replacing pressure hoses and screw buying a new one for over $50.

I got brand new lift shocks for the hatch from the junkyard for $6 plus I loaded my pockets with most of the smaller stuff I needed. Hood latch, hatch lock with key, brand new set of plug wires and the stereo plugs.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Alright, how much did you pay for it?
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

like $50 worth of parts and I have a reliable economical DD.
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

So yesterday the driver side balljoint separated on me. Busted the axle shaft too, good thing I got spares. So after getting it towed home I started working on it. On top of fixing the balljoint and axle I fixed the front motor mount bracket, the exhaust and a couple other things. The front mount was held in with only one bolt and the motor was flopping around pretty violently. All that movement broke my exhaust too so I got a piece of pipe and fixed that. I had some new sway bar bushings laying around so I threw those on.

No need for a balljoint press after all :mrgreen:

The advantages of FWD are clear. :shock: