The Neverending Probelem UPDATED: drag racing stuff from wed

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

The Neverending Probelem UPDATED: drag racing stuff from wed

Post by hockeystyx16 »

im not good at these speeches before i post up the pics, so ill cut the crap and get right to it.

this is going in. been sitting in the corner of the garage since late march

this is whats coming out

here lemme take that out of there for you

2 or 3 hours after i started, this is extrocated

i spent a grand total of a couple minutes tearing out the gray firewall insulation and washing the engine bay before i got bored of that

clutch stuff

this is where i was torquing my flywheel on and the socket slipped and i slammed my index and middle finger on my right hand on teh base of the picker. words couldnt describe the pain. my index fingernail is still black, i couldnt bend those 2 fingers for a few days.

but because i didnt have time to waste bitching about it, the next day i had my game face on and i was so into getting this done that i forgot to take pics Image but its just a regular straight up engine swap, nothing special besides AC delete. i rolled into the TT hangout monday night after i was done and my friend was like damn your done already zomfg.
Last edited by hockeystyx16 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Re: The Neverending Probelem 56k go play with yourself

Post by hockeystyx16 »

but because a swap that went so smooth and effortless couldnt be without a f-up, as soon as i filled it up with gear oil it started pissing it out the intermideate shaft axle seal. good thing is that i didnt have to take off the downpipe to take the intermediate shaft out, i was able to snake around the pipes and the subframe. tuesday after work i put in a new axle seal and it was done. then i had all the shenanigans with the starter and the fuel pump and that gay garbage, but its all done, car runs great pulls hard, yada yada yada, knock on wood.

i got a nice paycheck today, about twice what i expected so i treated myself to quiznos and a trip to harbor freight where i got an engine stand, a die grinder, a baller 200something piece die grinder bit and crap set, some other stuff i cant think of. as always, you walk in there and leave 100 dollars emptier, but i got what i needed to tear down my engine and what ill need to try my hand at porting heads and intake.

TEARDOWN

engine on the stand.

intake and valve covers off. no sludge (my right foot does that to engines) but obvious very high mileage. odometer reads 116 but its probably more like 216. i got the car in detroit, so that wouldnt surprize me. i dont care really

me taking off the oil cooler. it was a hot one today, i was sweating rivers as you can see

i didnt get that far today, back bank cam pulley bolt doesnt want to cooperate, its asking for full 150psi of air gun tomorrow.

i will update this as i go, obviously
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I wish I had your mad engine pulling skills. Good job.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
SonyAD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by SonyAD »

DOHC v6. Nice midrange engine. There's some varnish underneath the valve cover though.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

its not a V6, its an I3. geo metro status. :lol:
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
SonyAD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by SonyAD »

Aaah The Suzuki Cthulhu.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

whyd you switch?

Looks like it's time to take the heads to a machine shop and have em' make it new again :shock:
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

JackBauer wrote:whyd you switch?
the engine i had in my old probe ran great, pulled hard and didnt burn any oil. the engine in my new probe didnt pull as hard and burned oil like a refinery. only cost me the cost of an oil change and gear oil and the axle seal for the whole swap, woot for low buck engine swaps
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

roman, my car drinks oil almost spend more on oil than gas :lol: ... meh prolly throw a turbo engine in some day if i find one cheap
<3 fwd
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i didint care about the oil, 5 quart jug is 7 dollars at walmart. ther eal problem was the smoke. it smoked when i was accelerating hard, it smoked when i rev matched, it smoked a lot after i got back on the gas after a long engine brake. it was embarrasing to drive my car the way i drive my car because every downshift id leave behind a cloud of smoke
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

got a lot done today. started around 5ish and got the whole top end taken off. head bolts were a bitch, it took a while to think up a way to get them off without tipping my engine stand over. air gun got 3 of them out, theres 8 in each head, so sitting there hammering away at them with the gun wasnt gonna work. but i got them out. stupid torque to yield bolts

cams and lifters out

heads off

shortblock with some foamy spongy crap in the valley. still dont know what it is, i just vacuumed it out

the bumpsticks

bottom end. 2 piece block, splits at the crank. as you can see, its a de facto 4 bolt main even tho it doesnt have separate main caps

i couldnt find a 10mm and a 8mm 12 point sockets to get the rods and the bottom girdle taken off, so i called it a day, and will ahve to hit up harbor freight or sears tomorrow for those 2 sockets to finish tearing it down.

pistons looked surprizingly fresh but theres a lot of piston to cylinder wall clearance. almost looks like someone was in there, bored the block and used stock pistons. never heard any piston slap and this engine lived thru my driving for 4 and half months, so whatever. ill have to mic the bores to see if its been bored or not. im hoping not, so i can bore it 20 over and have a true round bore for my boost build

thats the progress for now
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

man. the first time i read your thread title I really thought you just had horrid spelling :P
SonyAD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by SonyAD »

Some sludge in the engine. Show us the pan.

Can't be as much clearance as I saw on a smart 3 cyl. Like 1~1.5 mm play between piston and cyl. sleeve.

And the oil pickup.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

the pan is very clean, there isnt any of the gooey sticky tar kind of sludge in the engine at all, its all just the oil deposits burned onto everything from high mileage. if you run your finger across the bottom of the oil pan it wont pick up anything.

its a clean engine internally, but its obviously high mileage. i still havent checked the vin on the block to see if its the engine that originally came in my white probe, at this point it wouldnt matter at all, but seeing how dark the deposits are on the engine internals id say it has around 200k miles on it. that would also extplain the excessive oil burning too.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

You should drop a 3.0 Duratec engine in there! There used to be a 3.0 Probe here in Lincoln NE on craigslist. A lot of people do that with the Contour, too.

Are the duratecs just Mazda V6s or are they Ford Engines?
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"