2007 Subaru Impreza STI (JDM)

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

2007 Subaru Impreza STI (JDM)

Post by Bawked »

Old time member... checking in after 5? years haha. Still a few names around that I remember from 10 years ago !

Have been carless living in Denmark for the last 3.5 years, riding my trusty pushbike (its a great way to live, got my car fix on work trips to Germany on the autobahn). However recently moved back to NZ, which means that its car and motorbike time again ;)

Bought this subaru as a daily a couple months back, it makes 218awkw (292awhp). Stock turbo, but has a catless downpipe and a tune. Its the JDM version so has the 2L, not the 2.5L which the USDM has.

Actually already looking at selling it though, it's quite a weapon in the mountain passes, but being 2L and 8.9:1 compression its a bit weak down low. My last car was an MIV R32 golf, so looking a something similar (bmw 130i, audi s4). Looking at a speed-triple or similar bike, going to do a tour of the south island with mates this summer.

<3 fwd
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: 2007 Subaru Impreza STI (JDM)

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Old Standard Shifters never die,
They simply fade away.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Welcome back kind sir!! I sure do remember you. That's a nice STI you have there. I know you probably are set on finding a nice German car to replace it, but what came to mind (if it's even possible, can't imagine it not being, but might require modification) was to find a newer WRX engine; not sure if they even had that newer fa20dit engine down under, but it is held in fairly high regard up here, other than having even headers (i think that's what's even on them) which leads to a rather quiet engine stock. how did you like denmark? i have been interested in checking out copenhagen and other parts. i'd imagine it's not like amsterdam where you don't need to speak dutch to get by. i know some dutch and german, so i'd imagine learning some danish wouldn't be too hard, though i always run into some problem while learning the germanic languages (like the declensions for german and the weird pronunciations in dutch, and word order in both...).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm Old Standard Shifters never die,
They simply fade away.
hopefully, this is true. would love to see certain old members resurrected in here...(knot tinton)...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:31 am i'd imagine it's not like amsterdam where you don't need to speak clutch to get by.
Fickset!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:37 pm
potownrob wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:31 am i'd imagine it's not like amsterdam where you don't need to speak clutch to get by.
Fickset!
If someone does not speak clutch, then they wonder why there are two brake pedals.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

potownrob wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:31 am Welcome back kind sir!! I sure do remember you. That's a nice STI you have there. I know you probably are set on finding a nice German car to replace it, but what came to mind (if it's even possible, can't imagine it not being, but might require modification) was to find a newer WRX engine; not sure if they even had that newer fa20dit engine down under, but it is held in fairly high regard up here, other than having even headers (i think that's what's even on them) which leads to a rather quiet engine stock. how did you like denmark? i have been interested in checking out copenhagen and other parts. i'd imagine it's not like amsterdam where you don't need to speak dutch to get by. i know some dutch and german, so i'd imagine learning some danish wouldn't be too hard, though i always run into some problem while learning the germanic languages (like the declensions for german and the weird pronunciations in dutch, and word order in both...).
Maybe the new Subaru WRX has the FA engine? To me those cars are a bit "eh" haha My subaru being a JDM has equal length headers, and yeah the sound isn't great. I kinda just want something bigger and non-turbo, the lack of downlow power and response I really miss.

I'm going to do a motorbike tour the South Island of NZ with some friends in January, so I'm also looking for a bike currently to add to the stable. That should take care of my speed thrills :D

Denmark (Copenhagen in specific) was a super nice place to live, if not a bit expensive. There is a very good work life balance, so you have lots of time to do your own thing. Denmark also has a rich history, which is something NZ doesn't really have. I learned some Danish while I was there, it's actually grammatically a very easy language... the difficulty is with the Pronunciation. But if you know Dutch and German, it would be rather easy, since they have most of the additional sounds. But yea, a lot of expats there complain that Danes just answer back in English, so they never get a chance to speak it. They are super happy though if you take some time to learn their language though.
<3 fwd
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

They simply fade away.
I wonder if they will ever fade back :o ?!
<3 fwd
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Bawked wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:01 pm Maybe the new Subaru WRX has the FA engine? To me those cars are a bit "eh" haha My subaru being a JDM has equal length headers, and yeah the sound isn't great. I kinda just want something bigger and non-turbo, the lack of downlow power and response I really miss.
yeah, the newer (2015+ in the states) has the FA20DIT, which is said to be much better than the older 2 litre turbos, and much more efficient than the ej25 in the USDM STI or the one in the last gen regular WRX. maybe one of the ej25 engines would be more ideal for your application; the one from our last gen WRX was said to be very good and not much less potent than the STI engine.
I'm going to do a motorbike tour the South Island of NZ with some friends in January, so I'm also looking for a bike currently to add to the stable. That should take care of my speed thrills :D
that sounds like fun. never ridden a motorbike but uber jelly of friends who go on rides in good weather.
Denmark (Copenhagen in specific) was a super nice place to live, if not a bit expensive. There is a very good work life balance, so you have lots of time to do your own thing. Denmark also has a rich history, which is something NZ doesn't really have. I learned some Danish while I was there, it's actually grammatically a very easy language... the difficulty is with the Pronunciation. But if you know Dutch and German, it would be rather easy, since they have most of the additional sounds. But yea, a lot of expats there complain that Danes just answer back in English, so they never get a chance to speak it. They are super happy though if you take some time to learn their language though.
yeah, did a couple of lessons on duolingo last night and the pronunciation of danish seemed to be the hard part so far. i've heard that swedish (and probably norwegian?) are written closer to how they sound. danish seems like dutch where the words sound different from how they look, at least to me. the grammar so far seems easier than even dutch, and much simpler than standard high german. the danish talking back in english is like in amsterdam. if it's like in the netherlands, people speak less english outside of the major cities though, nicht wahr?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Bawked wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 pm
They simply fade away.
most of them probably will not :cry:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

They simply fade away.
Only one I know of that faded back, and that with some help (Oh wait, he had a bride also, so two faded back, but she never drove a stick so....)
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:47 pm
They simply fade away.
Only one I know of that faded back, and that with some help (Oh wait, he had a bride also, so two faded back, but she never drove a stick so....)
WAIT, did you just do that because it's halloween (or going to be soon for you midwesterners)??

life, it seems, will fade away...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

NO, NO, NO!

First, You push in the clutch

THEN you drive the stick

and Last, you give it some gas as you let out the clutch, but hold the stick right there so it can't jump out.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Somehow that does not look like the kind of guy you would want to be in the same woods with. Not even going to ask what might be in that bundle.
Stick shiftin since '77