Dkaz’s rides

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: New rides

Post by DKaz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Lol... it's more a jock strap than anything.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage

DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: New rides

Post by DKaz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Installed a short shifter kit!

Image
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage

DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: New rides

Post by DKaz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Anyone like my April Fools joke?
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: New rides

Post by bk7794 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 am

Image
2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 5 Speed
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed - Sold
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: New rides

Post by DKaz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 pm

I had two victims this year. :mrgreen:
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage

DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by DKaz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi, I’m back. Still have the Mazda 3 which is my wife’s, coming on 8 years with 176k km (110k mi) on it. Have had a number of second cars and motorcycles along the way, sometimes both at the same time. Three other minivans, a 1/2 ton SUV, a manual hatchback, 3 scooters, 3 motorcycles, Now I’m back to the car I traded in for the 3 (not the exact same one), an 09 Mazda 5 GS. I was looking for a second gen GT with the 2.5L and 6MT but for $1500, I could love this one too. Needs new shocks which are on order plus a new windshield.

Here are some photos, it was a little dirty when I picked her up, haven’t had any time to clean it yet.

Image

Image

Image

Image

First task on the way home, picked up a chest freezer from Costco. The footprint is the exact same as the Mazda 3 but space wise it packs a good punch.
Image
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11048
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by Rope-Pusher » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 pm

"I love a vehicle that's being well utilized", said the man that wunce loaded 27 yards of sod into his Vega GT Hatchback and then drove it the 5 miles home riding on the suspension bumpstops.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1671
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by ClutchFork » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 pm
"I love a vehicle that's being well utilized", said the man that wunce loaded 27 yards of sod into his Vega GT Hatchback and then drove it the 5 miles home riding on the suspension bumpstops.
Surprised it didn't end up like this guy's car.
Image
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11048
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by Rope-Pusher » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm

No, is had sod rolls up front in passenger's footwell, on passenger seat, in rear seat footwells, and with rear seat folded down laying on load floor all the way to back of front seats, so weight was more evenly distributed than in the photo you showed.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1671
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by ClutchFork » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm
No, is had sod rolls up front in passenger's footwell, on passenger seat, in rear seat footwells, and with rear seat folded down laying on load floor all the way to back of front seats, so weight was more evenly distributed than in the photo you showed.
Ah, smart, or at least not half as dumb as the guy with the load of wood.

Back in the 1980s I had a econo F150 4.9L with 5 speed OD and 2.43 (somewheres thereabouts) rear end. That thing was NOT made for work. Anyway, we cut down a healthy (read very green and heavy) Siberian elm, maybe 10-inch diameter tree. Put all the wood in back to level with the bed sides. That thing had automotive radial tires and the differential case was sitting only a couple inches or so off the ground! We should have an overloaded pickup truck thread with photos. Might be a real hoot. One thing about an overloaded pickup. They steer like a barge. Front end wanders all over the place.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by DKaz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 am

I put about 2,200 lb of cinder block in my old Mazda 5 lol.

I've been averaging 27.5 MPG on my current 5 vs. 25 MPG on my old 2007. They did something in 08 to squeeze an extra 2 or 3 MPG out of the engine and while I was skeptical at first, the numbers are showing it. Not far off from the wife's Mazda 3 which has a better engine and weighs 500 lb less.

I replaced the rear shocks with KYB Gas-A-Just and engine oil with Amsoil XL 12,000 mile oil. Rides a lot better although I think I need to tackle some bushings and possibly end links to tighten it up even further. Oil, I hate doing oil changes and it's even worse on the 1st gen Mazda 5. The oil filter hole in the undertray doesn't line up with the oil filter, meaning I have to completely remove it to change the oil. Once a year oil changes? Sounds excellent to me.

Image
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11048
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by Rope-Pusher » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 pm

DKaz wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 am
I put about 2,200 lb of cinder block in my old Mazda 5 lol.

I've been averaging 27.5 MPG on my current 5 vs. 25 MPG on my old 2007. They did something in 08 to squeeze an extra 2 or 3 MPG out of the engine and while I was skeptical at first, the numbers are showing it. Not far off from the wife's Mazda 3 which has a better engine and weighs 500 lb less.

I replaced the rear shocks with KYB Gas-A-Just and engine oil with Amsoil XL 12,000 mile oil. Rides a lot better although I think I need to tackle some bushings and possibly end links to tighten it up even further. Oil, I hate doing oil changes and it's even worse on the 1st gen Mazda 5. The oil filter hole in the undertray doesn't line up with the oil filter, meaning I have to completely remove it to change the oil. Once a year oil changes? Sounds excellent to me.

Image
Myself and the vast hoards of members visiting daily are rejoicing in the fact that you ended your suspension of posts and started your posts of suspension. Yes, new dampers, bushings, tie-rod ends, ball joints, etc. sure can make a vehicle ride quietly and smoothly, if even a bit more sportingly.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by DKaz » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:21 pm

It's been a little quiet here lately unlike my suspension system, I figured I should contribute something. It's sad that after a short lived revival around the start of the last recession, the manual transmission is dying at an even quicker pace.

Yea I'll just replace it all, well eventually. There's also a spot of rust visible in the rear fender. I'm considerring nipping that in the bud and keeping the car for as long as I can.

Oh and we still have the 3 which is my wife's car. I recently upgraded the head unit with an Eonon unit that runs Android and supports Apple Carplay, and finally got her the backup camera she's been asking for since forever. She still loves the car and sees no reason to get something newer, especially now that I put some of the latest tech into her car.

Image

Image
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7564
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by potownrob » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:46 am

wow, unholy blast from the past!! glad you're doing well and still rocking the mazdas. everytime eye consider a mazda, something happens to take me away. someday, i shall finally have one!! it's funny (and possibly telling) how a lot of canadians rock the FWD cars, while wee muricans are afraid to not have AWD or 4WD. of course, some of you guys up there (in certain provinces) are required to rock the winter tires in the winter, while we don't have any such rules, at least knot here in the northeast. been looking into early cx-5s to replace my 07 altima, but prices on the AWD models are too high, at least in my general region. also have my eye on earlier 2nd gen cr-vs with the Manuel, but they are rare apparently...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11048
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by Rope-Pusher » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:29 am

DKaz wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:21 pm
It's been a little quiet here lately unlike my suspension system, I figured I should contribute something. It's sad that after a short lived revival around the start of the last recession, the manual transmission is dying at an even quicker pace.

Yea I'll just replace it all, well eventually. There's also a spot of rust visible in the rear fender. I'm considerring nipping that in the bud and keeping the car for as long as I can.

Oh and we still have the 3 which is my wife's car. I recently upgraded the head unit with an Eonon unit that runs Android and supports Apple Carplay, and finally got her the backup camera she's been asking for since forever. She still loves the car and sees no reason to get something newer, especially now that I put some of the latest tech into her car.

Image

Image
Especially when you provide your own labor, for the price of one or two new car payments you can do a lot of maintenance and/or upgrading on an "Experienced" vehicle. With the average age of vehicles on US roads being 11.5 years, it's quite evident that many people intend to drive their vehicle until the wheels fall off.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDKCal8QqEY[/youtube]
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Post Reply