BKs New Car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: BKs New Car

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:08 pm

I don't recall an egregious amount of rev hang in my friend's Jetta, same powertrain I assume, but then my memory may be colored by the fact that I was driving a wholly noncompliant Kia at the time. The Jetta was far easier to drive than my Kia. Friend tried to make me believe it was a sporty rig. HAH!

Speaking only for myself, I feel my red Focus, not the ST, which would have competed pretty directly with both the Kia and the VW as a pedestrian family hauler, was much better than both the VW and the Kia. It was down on power and torque, but I knew exactly where it was and the transmission was pretty good (granted I don't have much to compare it against). Interior space was a different question.

I can understand about a car feeling good during a carefully controlled test drive, but falling on its nose during ownership. You don't get a chance to give it some beans and see if it returns chili or just gas. For what it's worth, the 1.8T and 6 speed found in a Goof is much more lively.

Also, I don't know if you're tall or average, but the 86 twin(lets) [86 (FR-S) and BRZ are a bit tight]. I test drove an 86 and it was cramped even for me, a very average 5'9" 200#. Haven't experienced the Miata in person, maybe when my lease is up.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: BKs New Car

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 pm

How about a long in the tooth Datsun 370Z? Nobody would be able to tell that it was used. They've stayed visually unchanged for the better part of a decade.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7510
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: BKs New Car

Post by potownrob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:06 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 pm
How about a long in the tooth Datsun 370Z? Nobody would be able to tell that it was used. They've stayed visually unchanged for the better part of a decade.
other than the fast n furious body kit additions on later models...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7510
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: BKs New Car

Post by potownrob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:08 pm
I don't recall an egregious amount of rev hang in my friend's Jetta, same powertrain I assume, but then my memory may be colored by the fact that I was driving a wholly noncompliant Kia at the time. The Jetta was far easier to drive than my Kia. Friend tried to make me believe it was a sporty rig. HAH!

Speaking only for myself, I feel my red Focus, not the ST, which would have competed pretty directly with both the Kia and the VW as a pedestrian family hauler, was much better than both the VW and the Kia. It was down on power and torque, but I knew exactly where it was and the transmission was pretty good (granted I don't have much to compare it against). Interior space was a different question.

I can understand about a car feeling good during a carefully controlled test drive, but falling on its nose during ownership. You don't get a chance to give it some beans and see if it returns chili or just gas. For what it's worth, the 1.8T and 6 speed found in a Goof is much more lively.

Also, I don't know if you're tall or average, but the 86 twin(lets) [86 (FR-S) and BRZ are a bit tight]. I test drove an 86 and it was cramped even for me, a very average 5'9" 200#. Haven't experienced the Miata in person, maybe when my lease is up.
MK6 Jetta with the 2.5 (and 1.8T) was actually pretty quick, at least with the 6 speed auto box. I know the manual gearing is odd. One thing about rev hang is you may not notice it right away. When I first got my ‘15 Accord Sport Manuel eye didn’t notice any rev hang, or at least no significant rev hang. It’s later on that I started noticing it and it bothered me. I was abel to mitigate it to an extent bye letting off the gas before pushing in the clutch to shift. Ultimately it made it hard to get consistently smooth shifts driving the car daily. Having a second car that’s Manuel with my main car being auto has to be the ultimate setup (other than having nicer cars) for me so I can get my Manuel fix but don’t have to suffer driving Manuel every day. Also, the Altima doesn’t seem to have any of the rev hang problems the Accord and other newer manuel cars have.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: BKs New Car

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Mine, the Mazda, seems to drop the revs pretty quickly, but then revs the engine back up briefly. It's the oddest behaviour ever, but I think my Focus did the same thing. Something wants to tell me it's related to emissions and properly controlling them.

I work daily on getting smooth shifts without being herkyjerky, but that's part of why I like it so much. Gives my mind something to focus on. Though it got a bit annoying today driving through spaghetti junction.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: BKs New Car

Post by bk7794 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:10 am

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 pm
How about a long in the tooth Datsun 370Z? Nobody would be able to tell that it was used. They've stayed visually unchanged for the better part of a decade.
Funny, my coworker mentioned it. I'm curious how their throttle response is etc. I've also thought of a mustang ecoboost/v6. I don't have enough cash for a v8. Though I've seen their(mustang) rev hang to be pretty awful as well

I'd probably go used.
potownrob wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

MK6 Jetta with the 2.5 (and 1.8T) was actually pretty quick, at least with the 6 speed auto box. I know the manual gearing is odd. One thing about rev hang is you may not notice it right away. When I first got my ‘15 Accord Sport Manuel eye didn’t notice any rev hang, or at least no significant rev hang. It’s later on that I started noticing it and it bothered me. I was abel to mitigate it to an extent bye letting off the gas before pushing in the clutch to shift. Ultimately it made it hard to get consistently smooth shifts driving the car daily. Having a second car that’s Manuel with my main car being auto has to be the ultimate setup (other than having nicer cars) for me so I can get my Manuel fix but don’t have to suffer driving Manuel every day. Also, the Altima doesn’t seem to have any of the rev hang problems the Accord and other newer manuel cars have.
Yeah, this is what happened to me. I was literally driving it home right after I took delivery...I noticed the rev hang and was like oh shoot...I forgot about that. Even my old Volvo wasn't this bad.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: BKs New Car

Post by bk7794 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:16 pm

So, I was driving it in a somewhat spirited manner (revving to 3k instead of 2.2k) and holy crap the rev hang. By the time I would shift into the next gear and look down the revs would only be a few hundred lower than where it started. In some instances, it was higher...Please tell me all new cars are not this bad. If that's the case then no wonder why the manual is pretty much few and far between.

I feel the reason why its so bad on this car is because of cost. They probably had to meet emissions requirements and instead of designing a way to meet the emissions properly they decided to just program a computer fix for it!

Also, some tips on how to test drive a car would be great. On the test drive it really wasn't that bad. Then again..the AC was on now that I think of it...I just don't want to seem like I'm being an A hole and beating on the car during the test drive. I guess an A hole I would have to be.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3317
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: BKs New Car

Post by IMBoring25 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:36 pm

I would guess it's related to leading with the fuel and following with the throttle plate in order to keep the engine from going momentarily rich as the power demand lessens, and it could be tuned more appealingly but the CAD jockeys don't appreciate the importance.

The newest Mustang I've driven is my mom's '14 V6, and I don't discern any noticeable rev hang.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: BKs New Car

Post by tankinbeans » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:27 pm

Mine tends to do a quick blip between gears, but it's nothing I have any issue with. Then again the first manual I drove regularly was the Kia, so my perception could very well be skewed.

I tend to get what I'd loosly characterize as wobbly shits, but that's all my own timing. Gives me something to concentrate on.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7510
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: BKs New Car

Post by potownrob » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 am

tankinbeans wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:27 pm
I tend to get what I'd loosly characterize as wobbly shits, but that's all my own timing. Gives me something to concentrate on.
dont let rp see this post... :|
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7510
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: BKs New Car

Post by potownrob » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 am

bk7794 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:16 pm
So, I was driving it in a somewhat spirited manner (revving to 3k instead of 2.2k) and holy crap the rev hang. By the time I would shift into the next gear and look down the revs would only be a few hundred lower than where it started. In some instances, it was higher...Please tell me all new cars are not this bad. If that's the case then no wonder why the manual is pretty much few and far between.

I feel the reason why its so bad on this car is because of cost. They probably had to meet emissions requirements and instead of designing a way to meet the emissions properly they decided to just program a computer fix for it!

Also, some tips on how to test drive a car would be great. On the test drive it really wasn't that bad. Then again..the AC was on now that I think of it...I just don't want to seem like I'm being an A hole and beating on the car during the test drive. I guess an A hole I would have to be.
Rev-hang defeated with AC on, hmmm....time to crank that AC!! :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7510
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: BKs New Car

Post by potownrob » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 am

bk7794 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:41 pm
Yes, looks just like that. But it's black. Its handsome thing but just devoid of any feel. It felt nice on the test drive..the radio is also balls in it. I need to get it updated.
tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:11 am
I feel your pain. If it's the same manual as was in the 2011 2.5 Jetta I GET IT. Two overdrives effectively hide any power that exists and you're not going to pass anybody unless you're in 3rd, or more likely 2nd, especially since the car is hhhhheeeeeaaaaavvvvvyyyyy.
lol more like 5 overdrives. Even first. You know what sucks the most though, the gas pedal. I hit the gas and like something different happens everytime. And the rev hang. Oh lord the rev hang. This is exactly why the manuel is dying. In order to get a fun manual in 2019 you need to look at a sports car.

I'm a single man now so I might look at a Miata or BRZ siblings.
NC Miata would
Be nice, and they can be had fairly cheap these days...we must meat up soon to drive each other’s rigs. Eye must resist the urge to drive the cloud there instead of the beast... :?

Edit: yule like the beast. it’s like polar opposite of the Passat - quick, fast when you want it to be, no rev-hang, aggressive gearing, handles fairly well, decent stock radio...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: BKs New Car

Post by bk7794 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:34 pm

IMBoring25 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:36 pm
I would guess it's related to leading with the fuel and following with the throttle plate in order to keep the engine from going momentarily rich as the power demand lessens, and it could be tuned more appealingly but the CAD jockeys don't appreciate the importance.

The newest Mustang I've driven is my mom's '14 V6, and I don't discern any noticeable rev hang.
Ah good word good word.

So the Mustang was pretty decent? I've thought about getting a 11-14 v6 Mustang.
tankinbeans wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:27 pm
Mine tends to do a quick blip between gears, but it's nothing I have any issue with. Then again the first manual I drove regularly was the Kia, so my perception could very well be skewed.

I tend to get what I'd loosly characterize as wobbly shits, but that's all my own timing. Gives me something to concentrate on.
I'm curious how Mazda is. Especially with their "zoom" zoom" mantra.
potownrob wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 am
bk7794 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:41 pm
Yes, looks just like that. But it's black. Its handsome thing but just devoid of any feel. It felt nice on the test drive..the radio is also balls in it. I need to get it updated.
tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:11 am
I feel your pain. If it's the same manual as was in the 2011 2.5 Jetta I GET IT. Two overdrives effectively hide any power that exists and you're not going to pass anybody unless you're in 3rd, or more likely 2nd, especially since the car is hhhhheeeeeaaaaavvvvvyyyyy.
lol more like 5 overdrives. Even first. You know what sucks the most though, the gas pedal. I hit the gas and like something different happens everytime. And the rev hang. Oh lord the rev hang. This is exactly why the manuel is dying. In order to get a fun manual in 2019 you need to look at a sports car.

I'm a single man now so I might look at a Miata or BRZ siblings.
NC Miata would
Be nice, and they can be had fairly cheap these days...we must meat up soon to drive each other’s rigs. Eye must resist the urge to drive the cloud there instead of the beast... :?

Edit: yule like the beast. it’s like polar opposite of the Passat - quick, fast when you want it to be, no rev-hang, aggressive gearing, handles fairly well, decent stock radio...
So BAD!
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4026
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: BKs New Car

Post by tankinbeans » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:10 pm

I've not driven the new turbo charged Mazda6 with 225hp/310tq (250hp when using 93). Common complaints on the enthusiast boards is that the NA 2.5 is slow, but I don't think it's necessarily true. The base engine is class competitive in terms of horsepower and, for the year I have, in front of the back in terms of fuel mileage. At 3200 pounds give or take it's pretty light. With all 186 torques coming in at a fairly low 3250 RPM it doesn't take much to get going. Even when at a power disadvantage coming from a light I can get pretty far ahead of everybody simply by paying attention.

I don't ask for too much out of my car and the Mazda delivers. Even with the absurdly large wheels, the ride doesn't seem to suffer. Then again my perspective may be off because I've never had a "driver's car" and so expect a certain amount of movement while underway. Another complaint about Mazda is they're supposedly loud, but I don't notice anything egregious from mine; my friend's 2017 Fusion on the other hand sounds like you're driving through a windstorm if you even so much as think about tredding on the accelerator.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: BKs New Car

Post by bk7794 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 pm

I've honestly thought about just going way old school and getting an old Mustang or something from the 80s-early 00s. Or perhaps a Challenger from like late 2000s. I'd be curious how they were. I'm glad this VW was cheap enough. I'm sure I'll take a bath on it but it's just unbearable. The rev hang makes it pretty much unbearable to drive.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

Post Reply