BKs New Car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: BKs New Car

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:08 pm

I don't recall an egregious amount of rev hang in my friend's Jetta, same powertrain I assume, but then my memory may be colored by the fact that I was driving a wholly noncompliant Kia at the time. The Jetta was far easier to drive than my Kia. Friend tried to make me believe it was a sporty rig. HAH!

Speaking only for myself, I feel my red Focus, not the ST, which would have competed pretty directly with both the Kia and the VW as a pedestrian family hauler, was much better than both the VW and the Kia. It was down on power and torque, but I knew exactly where it was and the transmission was pretty good (granted I don't have much to compare it against). Interior space was a different question.

I can understand about a car feeling good during a carefully controlled test drive, but falling on its nose during ownership. You don't get a chance to give it some beans and see if it returns chili or just gas. For what it's worth, the 1.8T and 6 speed found in a Goof is much more lively.

Also, I don't know if you're tall or average, but the 86 twin(lets) [86 (FR-S) and BRZ are a bit tight]. I test drove an 86 and it was cramped even for me, a very average 5'9" 200#. Haven't experienced the Miata in person, maybe when my lease is up.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 pm

How about a long in the tooth Datsun 370Z? Nobody would be able to tell that it was used. They've stayed visually unchanged for the better part of a decade.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima

Post by potownrob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:06 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 pm
How about a long in the tooth Datsun 370Z? Nobody would be able to tell that it was used. They've stayed visually unchanged for the better part of a decade.
other than the fast n furious body kit additions on later models...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima

Post by potownrob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:08 pm
I don't recall an egregious amount of rev hang in my friend's Jetta, same powertrain I assume, but then my memory may be colored by the fact that I was driving a wholly noncompliant Kia at the time. The Jetta was far easier to drive than my Kia. Friend tried to make me believe it was a sporty rig. HAH!

Speaking only for myself, I feel my red Focus, not the ST, which would have competed pretty directly with both the Kia and the VW as a pedestrian family hauler, was much better than both the VW and the Kia. It was down on power and torque, but I knew exactly where it was and the transmission was pretty good (granted I don't have much to compare it against). Interior space was a different question.

I can understand about a car feeling good during a carefully controlled test drive, but falling on its nose during ownership. You don't get a chance to give it some beans and see if it returns chili or just gas. For what it's worth, the 1.8T and 6 speed found in a Goof is much more lively.

Also, I don't know if you're tall or average, but the 86 twin(lets) [86 (FR-S) and BRZ are a bit tight]. I test drove an 86 and it was cramped even for me, a very average 5'9" 200#. Haven't experienced the Miata in person, maybe when my lease is up.
MK6 Jetta with the 2.5 (and 1.8T) was actually pretty quick, at least with the 6 speed auto box. I know the manual gearing is odd. One thing about rev hang is you may not notice it right away. When I first got my ‘15 Accord Sport Manuel eye didn’t notice any rev hang, or at least no significant rev hang. It’s later on that I started noticing it and it bothered me. I was abel to mitigate it to an extent bye letting off the gas before pushing in the clutch to shift. Ultimately it made it hard to get consistently smooth shifts driving the car daily. Having a second car that’s Manuel with my main car being auto has to be the ultimate setup (other than having nicer cars) for me so I can get my Manuel fix but don’t have to suffer driving Manuel every day. Also, the Altima doesn’t seem to have any of the rev hang problems the Accord and other newer manuel cars have.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Mine, the Mazda, seems to drop the revs pretty quickly, but then revs the engine back up briefly. It's the oddest behaviour ever, but I think my Focus did the same thing. Something wants to tell me it's related to emissions and properly controlling them.

I work daily on getting smooth shifts without being herkyjerky, but that's part of why I like it so much. Gives my mind something to focus on. Though it got a bit annoying today driving through spaghetti junction.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport

bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:10 am

tankinbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 pm
Funny, my coworker mentioned it. I'm curious how their throttle response is etc. I've also thought of a mustang ecoboost/v6. I don't have enough cash for a v8. Though I've seen their(mustang) rev hang to be pretty awful as well

I'd probably go used.
potownrob wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

MK6 Jetta with the 2.5 (and 1.8T) was actually pretty quick, at least with the 6 speed auto box. I know the manual gearing is odd. One thing about rev hang is you may not notice it right away. When I first got my ‘15 Accord Sport Manuel eye didn’t notice any rev hang, or at least no significant rev hang. It’s later on that I started noticing it and it bothered me. I was abel to mitigate it to an extent bye letting off the gas before pushing in the clutch to shift. Ultimately it made it hard to get consistently smooth shifts driving the car daily. Having a second car that’s Manuel with my main car being auto has to be the ultimate setup (other than having nicer cars) for me so I can get my Manuel fix but don’t have to suffer driving Manuel every day. Also, the Altima doesn’t seem to have any of the rev hang problems the Accord and other newer manuel cars have.
Yeah, this is what happened to me. I was literally driving it home right after I took delivery...I noticed the rev hang and was like oh shoot...I forgot about that. Even my old Volvo wasn't this bad.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold