Casio G-Shock GW-7900B (watch)

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B (watch)

Post by AHTOXA »

So I needed a watch that I can wear while I'm biking, swimming, camping, hiking and various other outdoor activities. Often times I don't take a cellphone with me, and if I do - it's to have the time. This isn't very practical because I need to worry about it not getting exposed to the elements and staying charged. I decided to buy a watch that I can use everywhere and not worry about it being dirty, dusty, wet or muddy. In comes the G-Shock. These are known to be tough, rugged and very durable.

This particular model is solar-powered. There's an internal rechargeablle battery that will last 9 months if the watch isn't exposed to light, so I don't have to worry about running out of juice even if nuclear fallout hits. With normaly daily exposure to light the battery is continuously charged to capacity. There will be no battery replacement needed for the life of the watch, no matter what the usage conditions are.

Time-keeping is atomic. The watch receives a signal every night updating the time and date. This is useful because I never know when the clock has to be adjusted for DST.

Otherwise standard features are present: countdown times, stopwatch, alarms, world clock and so forth. There's a fucntion that displays the state of the tide and moon. This isn't the most useful feature out there, but I believe this watch received it since it's a part of the Rescue series and is aimed at being distributed to the Coast Guard and other marine services.

Practicality: 4/5

It's a bulky watch, however is very light and feels great. It's very comfortable and (surprisingly) the band causes no itch. This is my first ever digital watch with a non-leather or a non-metal band. I've always thought of them being cheap, but being older and wiser, I understand that it's a tool and every tool has its purpose. You won't wear it to fancy dinners, client meetings at work or what not, but it's great for everything else. My primary pupose for it is being a watch I can use for outdoor sports and activities that I partake in, and for that it serves well.

Durability:5/5

I figured out why I wasn't a watch guy before. It's because every watch I've ever had I've broken somehow. The most recent watch that I had and liked met its end in a pool about 4 years ago. Even though it said that it was water resistant to about 100 feet, I came out of the pool and the watch had lots of water accumulation on the inside of the crystal.

This G-Shock is water resistant to 20 bar (200 meters). I've worn it while jetskiing this weekend (and flying off the jetski a few times at speed), while skin-diving (not same as skinny-dipping) in a lake this weekend and in the pool at the hotel. It's done great.

FOSE -unaffected.

* I originally bought a different G-Shock but didn't like it as much. Couldn't ready the analog dials very well at night, even with illumination. Returned it for this watch.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-7900B (watch)

Post by ColJessip »

Those watches are work horses.