Phone Review - AT&T Pantech Slate

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Phone Review - AT&T Pantech Slate

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

So my contract is just about up with AT&T. For the past 2 years, I've had a Pantech Slate.

It has served me well, and I am nearly 100% sure I'm switching back to Tmo for the Nokia E73 Mode. As you can tell, I like flat faced phones. I got this phone because I wanted the sleekness of a smart phone but I really didn't need data or anything. This is basically a normal text/call/picture phone in smart phone guise.

Call quality - 8/10 - The phone has a very nice earpiece. I can hear calls very clearly at almost any time and the person on the other line has had no trouble hearing me. The volume for the earpiece is on a rocker switch on the left side of the phone. When held up to my face, the earpiece and mouthpiece are well located.

Reception 6/10 - To be honest, the reception frankly blows sometimes. I'm not sure it's the phone or AT&T, but if I'm not in a wide open area, I rarely get more than 1 or 2 bars. At UIC, which is near the heart of downtown Chicago, I completely lose reception in some of the buildings. Although, when I went to Wisconsin over the summer, I had nearly full bars the whole time. Must have been because the area was pretty open. Sometimes I get people telling me that they didn't receive my texts and it's really annoying since I mainly communicate by text messaging.

Durability - 9/10 - This phone is an absolute tank. I've dropped it countless times on numerous surfaces (including dropping it on a spinning belt in my engine bay - that took a small chunk off my battery cover) and it still works wonderfully. None of the keys have any paint flaking off; they are near perfect. The only minor niggles I have is that the screen has a million tiny scratches (but then again, what 2 year old phones don't?), the silver bar between the up directional arrow and the Pantech logo has rubbed off and is now a copper color, and the tips of the up and down directional arrow buttons are very very slightly worn. Barely able to tell unless you're really trying to find it

Text messaging - 7/10 - This phone was advertised as a text messaging phone, and it performs that task admirably. I text quite a lot, and the keys are well spaced and are easy to use. The spacebar is the length of 4 normal keys, so it's really hard to miss when you need to text quickly. The only reason I am giving this a 7 instead of 9 or 10 is because it can only hold about 225 (1 page) messages, and that is combined with the SIM card. This is extremely frustrating when you're near capacity and you have typed out a long multipage text, only for the phone to tell you that there is not enough space left anywhere to store it in the out/sent box after it's sent. You can't even save it as a draft, so you have to cancel the text, delete some old ones, and completely rewrite it. I really, really hated that sometimes.

Interface - 8/10 - The interface is very simple and easy to use. I got the hang of it in no time, everything is layed out nicely and someone with no prior experience can pick it up quickly.

Camera - 5/10 - If there's anything that really lets this phone down, it's the utterly horrible 1.3 MP camera. Even in full daylight this camera only takes mediocre pictures. Anything less than that, and you can forget it. Here's a link to one of the best pictures (quality wise) I was able to take with this phone:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/ ... Noble1.jpg
Granted, it's not absolutely terrible, but this is in really good lighting and me holding my hand very steady

FOSE - 7/10 - This phone makes girls want you. Bad. Lots of girls have told me that this phone looks really good and they want me inside them (One of these statements may not be true)

Overall - 7/10 - Even though this phone is obsolete, it held up great over the past two years and other than some of the reception and small memory size issues, it never really let me down. I always got compliments on how good it looked, everyone loved this phone. It get's a well deserved 7/10.
Last edited by 94Corolla5Speed on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Phone Review - AT&T Pantech Slate

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, where is FOSE? Rules are rules, man.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Done and done.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

They wanted you inside then or the phone?

Strangely I'm thinking of "call me" video by blondie.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

There's only one girl who's told me that they wanted me inside them :lol:

But then again, that's a better track record than some people.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

....you should not count the children. Perv.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Says the guy who's dating a woman 14 years older than him :lol:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Obviously. That's how he knows about it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

watkins is gonna be really pissed when he finds out you're dating his girl...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

and sleeping with his mother as well.

Wait, this was a what review?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Phone review, before you shat all over it. But it's the SS way.