Nexen Winguard Sport winter tires

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Nexen Winguard Sport winter tires

Post by watkins »

Nexen is a Korean tire manufacturer that is just recently expanding its European and American product lines. That being the case, the tires are decently inexpensive. I got my set for $129 a tire from Town Fair.

The sport version of the tire was designed for the European market and I would assume the Autobahn. Just by look and feel they are a much sturdier tire than most other winter tires Ive dealt with. The sidewall is sturdy. It must be, considering the V (149mph) speed rating these tires have. I find these to be quite responsive and reassuring to drive with. I can take corners just as fast if not faster than with my bald summer Toyos the car came with.

Now on to the important stuff:

Dry: 5 - Very good traction. Even better considering they are winter tires. Car is surefooted and feels no different than on my old summer tires. Whereas I was scared to go overly fast on the tires I had on the vert, I have no issues with high speed driving with the Nexens on the Viggen.
Rain: 4 - Again, great traction. No, I havent played too much in the wet since putting these on, but from what I did experience they are far more than adequate when it comes to moving water.
Snow: 4 - In today's insanity the car was incredibly easy to control. Undertaking the hill that requires a drop from 5th to 3rd at the legal speed limit (steep bastard) was no issue. I could step the car out just enough and exactly when and how I needed to. Unfortunately, hard-packed snow offers a challenge. Wheel spin is more likely, though still very easily avoided.
Slush: 4 - Best slush driving Ive yet experienced. The tread that makes wet weather driving so simple carries over just as neatly into this more severe weather.
Ice: 3.5 - In the plowed and iced over parking lot of what once was Circuit City, the tires held very well. I had to put some effort into getting the back end to step out. Considering I have the largest ARB one can purchase for Saabs, this is good stuff.
Ride quality: 5 - For winter tires, the ride is downright cloud-like. Thats not to say its perfectly smooth, but it is eons better than most snows.
Road noise: 3 - Not loud, but certainly not quiet either.
Feasibility of sexual encounters: 5 - Secluded winter cabin during a picturesque snowfall? Heck yeah! You can get there when you get there with no trouble.

And a picture:

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Nexen Winguard Sport winter tires

Post by theholycow »

I didn't know that Nexen was a Korean manufacturer, I figured they were just another generic brand relabeling tires produced by other manufacturers. I had Nexen Roadian HT all season LT-series load range E tires on my truck. I was skeptical but they were quiet, smooth, had good traction, and lasted a long time.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I was a bit iffy at first, but so long as the life of the tires is good Ill definitely consider buying more Nexen products in the future.

Apparently the company has made some good technological advances in the 54 years since automobile tire production began:
http://www.nexentireusa.com/page3-1/AboutNexenTire
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

:shock: They decided that their own Korean labor is too expensive so they opened their latest factory in China. I guess quality of life in Korea is going up.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD