Logitech G27 Racing Wheel for:PC, PS2, PS3

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Logitech G27 Racing Wheel for:PC, PS2, PS3

Post by FDSpirit »

This is the first gaming wheel I have ever purchased. Before next gen consoles became better than the arcade, I spent my time playing Initial D in the arcade. Now, if anyone knows, that game is far from realistic, but being able to control pedals, a shifter, and pedals makes up for it. I bought this wheel from Best Buy for about 250. This isn't the original price and it varies depending on where you go. I got lucky and found it online for sale 8) . The force feedback is insane! It moved the desk I had it attached to. I had to attach it to our table to make sure it stayed put :lol: .
Anyway, my camera is MIA, but here's a picture of it off the internetz which shows a few good angles of the wheel and other stuff.

Value:4/5- The price is steep. But, if you love driving games, this is as good as it's gonna get before the price gets even more insane. It comes with everything you need. Paddle shifters, LED lights which act as a shift light once they hit the red portion, programmable buttons(16 IIRC), a shifter! And let's not forget the most sought after piece of the pie.....a third pedal!!!! The holidays are here, have some folks pitch in :wink: . And you can also get a racing seat to go along with it, but that is going a little overboard IMO. Just youtube it.
Quality:4/5-The pedals are metallic and they don't feel cheap. The wheel is wrapped in leather and it too doesn't feel like they skimped out on it. My only complaint so far about the quality is the shifter. It feels like it's a little too light. I didn't expect it to be like an actual car, but I'm afraid I'm going to break it sometimes. But they apparently hold up well.
Ease of Use:5/5- If you're using a gaming console, it automatically maps the buttons and they can be checked via the control option screen. PC I can't really speak for. But either way, it's a steering wheel. I'd hope the people on this site would know how to operate one. :lol:
Feasibility of Sexual Encounters:1/5- Most women like the idea of men driving real sports cars. But hey, not all women are the same.....
Overall:5/5- I really think for any ps3, ps2, and PC owner who loves getting the most they can out of a driving game, this is a must buy. I'm sure now that I've purchased this wheel, Murphy's Law will make sure that it's cheaper for everyone else.

If anyone has anymore questions, I'll try to answer them as best as I can :)
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Re: Logitech G27 Racing Wheel for:PC, PS2, PS3

Post by eggwich delfiero »

I'm super jealous, kinda hate you right now. :twisted:

Okay, I'm over it. :P

Congrats, man. I have heard nothing but great things about the new racing simulators, and totally want to buy a new system (and a tuner, and new wheels, etc. etc.). I know you're a PS3 guy, so that means you're waiting on Grand Turismo 5, correct?

If you weren't already married to the PS3 and were starting a fresh videogame relationship, would you go with PS3/GT5 or Xbox/Forza Motorsport? I haven't played either. I heard NFS:Shift was really good, too; so much better than earlier Need For Speed games that they shouldn't even have the same name.

I sold my wii and have sold off most of the games, planning to buy a new system, but I already blew the money on a new bicycle. Still, someday soon, I hope to buy a new system, one of those games, and that very wheel. Any advice appreciated.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

i don't have questions, but i do have some answers. some bad, some good.

good: there is a mod for the shifter. i've seen it on youtube. having used a G25, the shifter is light enough to shift with your nose and it won't indent it past a millimeter. im not sure how tough the mod is, but the guy demonstrated the tension on the shifter with a rubber band before and after, and the difference is dramatic.

those pedals are nothing short of amazing. don't even think of trying to play with this wheel in a computer chair, because if that thing has wheels, whenever you try to brake (especially heel toe) it will push you back and you'll be holding on to the steering wheel to make sure you don't throw yourself across the room. that brake pedal has some serious tension to it. on the g25, there is also a mod where you can (im not sure if its glued or double sided taped or something) put a piece of plastic the exact size of the pedal on the brake, and it allows the brake to be completely flush with the gas pedal when its all the way down. the reason you ask? easiest heel-toe downshifts evarrrr. the g27 is superior to this because the brake and clutch pedals are raised above the gas pedal, making it easier to heel toe, but when the brake is all the way down, it still doesnt give enough clearence, and people still mod them for tighter specifications. on the g27 you can also move the pedals 1\4 inch left or right by loosening up a simple allen wrench screw, moving it over and tightening it back up.

the g27 is superior over the g25 in that the gearing that the motor attaches to for the force feedback is now helical cut, not straight cut. the straight cut gearing (just like in a real car) is very loud and the vibrations are teeth rattling. now the stronger made, helical cut gearing of the g27 is much quieter and there is less vibration.

bad: the G27 has almost nothing over the G25. the G27's more programmable buttons on the steering wheel make it very nice for more toggles on the fly instead of taking your hand off the steering wheel and finding them on the shifter. the LED lights on the top of the steering wheel? useless. currently NO games support it but it appears that logitech is throwing out a software developer kit and giving it to the developers of major racing sim games so that they can update their games so it will accept the LED RPM function. it would be a very nice feature, but since it doesn't work yet, its useless.

the shifter on the g27 is firmer and quieter than the g25, but it is still very easy to push. still requires a mod to feel like anything close to being real. on a good note, they eliminated the sequential shifter mode for the shifter to allow the H pattern shifting to be much easier. they have the paddle shifters anyway, so its not that big of a lost.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Thanks for the comparisons of the 2 wheels. I did try driving in my PC chair for some reason when I first got it :lol: :lol: :lol: . It is weird sitting down and getting adjusted to the pedals since the pedals in my car aren't on the floor. But yes, they are nice and have VERY good response. I didn't know much about all the mods and such until I joined this site. I picked up GT5 Prologue to tide me over. I'm loving it right now. I'm gonna buy my FD and drive that soon :twisted: . I looked around on the options and didn't find anything for clutch support :cry: . NFS Shift supports it but get this, you can still shift without pushing the pedal. WTH?
eggwich delfiero wrote:If you weren't already married to the PS3 and were starting a fresh videogame relationship, would you go with PS3/GT5 or Xbox/Forza Motorsport? I haven't played either. I heard NFS:Shift was really good, too; so much better than earlier Need For Speed games that they shouldn't even have the same name.
I can't really say since I haven't really played FM a lot. I did have the 2nd one when I got my 360, and I liked it for the 1 hour I played it. That's not a stab at the game, I've never liked playing racers without a wheel, thus the reason I always played them at the arcade. FM3 looks nothing short of amazing, but I really couldn't say which one I'd prefer. It's a win win situation in terms of either game. But this wheel would've easily leaned me towards the PS3.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

The clutch pedal is kinda a gimmick, it isn't that brilliant... doesn't have enough travel or feel.... but it's better than none. The shifter is quite average as well. But it's the best wheel at the moment.... the act labs pedal and shifter are better.

Its fun playing a racing sim tho, but a setup for the wheel and stuff would make it way better
<3 fwd
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

haven't tried the G27 but if it's like the G25 it's a really solid wheel. The only thing it lacks is a pressure sensitive load cell brake pedal. Some of the fanatec porsche wheels have that. with the regular potentiometer brake it's really hard to be consistent on the brakes. There are mods to add a load cell brake or swap the pedal sets for the G25/27 though.

I have the logitech momo force which retails at 100, got it for ~60 and it's decent but my main gripes are the brake pedal (less resistance then the G25) and shifter position)

btw, if you guys are serious enough be using a $250+ wheel, you should check out sims like iRacing. It's truely a step up from crossover sims like Forza, grand turismo, etc.
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

FDSpirit wrote:I looked around on the options and didn't find anything for clutch support :cry: . NFS Shift supports it but get this, you can still shift without pushing the pedal. WTH?
l2google. :)

the only lame thing about GT5: Prologue is that you have to (at the start of every race) when its showing you the sequence of the side-road camera of the cars doing the warm up lap, hit the triangle button on the shifter. this initiates clutch support. your welcome btw
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Sweet. Thanks!
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

how is it now that you have clutch support? (if its really good we'll never hear from him again)
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Flippin' suhweeet!
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

ra64t wrote:btw, if you guys are serious enough be using a $250+ wheel, you should check out sims like iRacing. It's truely a step up from crossover sims like Forza, grand turismo, etc.
you mean Gran Turismo? and the best racing sim i've played (with the G25) is Life4Speed. i haven't yet played GT5:Prologue with the G25 (how did i know about the clutch button you ask!? YOULL NEVER KNOW MUHAHAHAHA) so i can't attest to that as of yet. L4S is a damn good game though. try to bounce your engine off the rev limiter and do a clutch dump in 5th gear...your clutch gets glazed and now whenever you go past half throttle it instantly slips. you stall out like its your business in that game (every car is max boosted so its hard as FUX to launch correctly) and trying to launch in dirt without spinning your tires is like trying to learn how to drive stick in real life when your 12.....fcking difficult\annoying
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

the only non sims i've played with my wheel was pro street once on ps3 :lol: and shift on pc but shift is utter rubbish with a wheel... its an improvement but still made for a controller not a wheel.
<3 fwd
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I took off all the assists on GT5P and its soooo frustrating :lol: . Gah, using the Suzuki Cappo is sooo much fun, but man, that car loves to slide. As far as sims go for PC, its a no go for now, but I'll keep the listed titles in mind :)
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

LHOswald wrote:
ra64t wrote:btw, if you guys are serious enough be using a $250+ wheel, you should check out sims like iRacing. It's truely a step up from crossover sims like Forza, grand turismo, etc.
you mean Gran Turismo? and the best racing sim i've played (with the G25) is Life4Speed. i haven't yet played GT5:Prologue with the G25 (how did i know about the clutch button you ask!? YOULL NEVER KNOW MUHAHAHAHA) so i can't attest to that as of yet. L4S is a damn good game though. try to bounce your engine off the rev limiter and do a clutch dump in 5th gear...your clutch gets glazed and now whenever you go past half throttle it instantly slips. you stall out like its your business in that game (every car is max boosted so its hard as FUX to launch correctly) and trying to launch in dirt without spinning your tires is like trying to learn how to drive stick in real life when your 12.....fcking difficult\annoying
you mean Live For Speed? haha. yeah I agree it's a great. In terms of the physics modeling I think it's among the most realistic, maybe the best. I also really like the advanced data acquisition you can view for your submitted hotlaps (speed, steering, throttle, brake positions, g-forces, etc.) all overlayed against anyone else's lap. However I haven't played it since I started iRacing. Where iRacing has the edge is in super realistic models of real world tracks, and a well organized hosting/racing structure.
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

iRacing is bull you have to pay a monthly fee.... I hate those kinds of things. I like to pay a one of fee and then be able to play whenever.
<3 fwd