Macintosh OS 10.6 Snow Leopard

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Re: Macintosh OS 10.6 Snow Leopard

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I do not see the point of netbooks. The way I see it, either your mobile device fits in your pocket or it doesn't. So you're going to have to get some sort of carrying case for your 10" netbook, right? So why not get a proper 15" computer?
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:Tiger was a great OS...

...for PowerPC computers.
If you've got an Intel Mac, you have no excuse not to have Snow Leopard.
But in all seriousness, Leopard runs like shit on a 1.25GHz PowerPC processor.
There's not really a compelling reason to upgrade, unless you absolutely love the new Exposé or something. OpenCL and GCD promise improved performance, but current apps don't take advantage of that yet. The reasoning to upgrade is basically...its $30, so why not?

The annoyances have outweighed the "improvements" for me. For example, if you have it set to require password on screensaver resume, it now require a password when you resume from display sleep too. That's highly annoying, especially if you have it set to display sleep in like 5 mins to save battery power. They also changed Automator's "Filter Finder Items" action so that it no longer has the option to filter by "does not include". Also, the "New Folder" action now errors out if the folder already exists. Leopard's Automator would use the existing folder if it exists, or create a new one if it doesn't. I used Automator to batch resize images in Leopard, and now I can't recreate that workflow in SL. I don't know if they are bugs or intentional changes, but annoying as hell. The biggest disappointment of all: still no hot GPU swapping for the unibody MBPs with dual graphics cards. People assumed it was some sort of limitation in Leopard, and would be fixed in SL, but no...

All that plus the random HDD activity that lags the computer, slower Spotlight, slower app performance (mainly MS Office) has made me regret upgrading. I'd revert back to Leopard if I didn't have to wipe and reinstall everything. :evil:
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

ElectroGhandi wrote:I do not see the point of netbooks. The way I see it, either your mobile device fits in your pocket or it doesn't. So you're going to have to get some sort of carrying case for your 10" netbook, right? So why not get a proper 15" computer?
I would venture to guess a lot of netbook buyers have a desktop PC as their main computer. A netbook gives them the portability they want to maybe take to class and take notes, or take on a trip somewhere. They don't need a full-on laptop because they have the desktop for main use, so a full laptop would be a waste of money. Although there are some low end laptops that come close to netbooks' prices....I guess at that point the portability/hype of the netbook wins over. I don't see the point of a netbook for someone who already uses a laptop as their main computer though.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Large screen laptop is the way to go. Netbooks are pretty damn stupid for what I want and need to use a computer for, but there are so many dumb people out there who can barely figure out how to use a word processor. The less theyre capable of f*cking up, the better. Netbooks minimize the stuff-f*ck-upping quotient of computer ownership.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

watkins wrote:Netbooks minimize the stuff-f*ck-upping quotient of computer ownership.
It's the indirect result of netbooks minimizing what you can do at all.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Direct, not indirect. If people can do something, someone will f*ck it up. The only way to stop this is to remove things.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

TWO buttons on a mouse? WHAT?!?!?! People can never handle something as complex as this!
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Im too lazy to make the picture, so you can imagine:

MADNESS? THIS IS APPLLLLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Yeah, if Apple made a car, it would be gorgeous, only come in white, and have one pedal for brake, gas and clutch.
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

RITmusic2k wrote:Yeah, if Apple made a car, it would be gorgeous, only come in white, and have one pedal for brake, gas and clutch.
Well, white, black, or titanium. And for a small charge you can have it custom engraved. :lol:
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

And it will be smaller than the competition, but Apple fanatics will see that as a feature. And it will generally only accept fuel from Apple gas stations. Other cars can fill up there too, but they need a special adapter.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Nah, with the Apple car it can turn right and left at the same time, and Apple will claim that it turns right better than the Windows cars can :P
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought 'Car95' or 'CarNT', and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five percent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single 'general car default' warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say 'Are you sure?' before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the 'start' button to shut off the engine.
Oh, and:
Snow Leopard has a fatal bug that deletes all a user's data. To trigger the bug you log into the Guest account and then log back into an admin account. A number of users are reporting that all settings are reset and most of the data gone. Apple is aware of the bug and is working on a fix. In the meantime it is suggested that a non-administrative account be created with the name Visitor or something similar and be used instead of the Guest account, which is a special built in account which wipes all of its settings clean upon logout.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

mtheis wrote:Oh, and:
Snow Leopard has a fatal bug that deletes all a user's data. To trigger the bug you log into the Guest account and then log back into an admin account. A number of users are reporting that all settings are reset and most of the data gone. Apple is aware of the bug and is working on a fix. In the meantime it is suggested that a non-administrative account be created with the name Visitor or something similar and be used instead of the Guest account, which is a special built in account which wipes all of its settings clean upon logout.
Not quite. The bug is only if you had a Guest account enabled in Leopard, then upgraded to Snow Leopard. After the upgrade, if you log into your Guest account, then log out and log back into your main account, your stuff is gone. But it still doesn't happen to everyone that has done the above...not really sure what triggers the bug.

If you didn't have a Guest account in Leopard, then it doesn't affect you. If you did a clean install (erase and install) of Snow Leopard, then it doesn't affect you. If you bought a new Mac that already came with Snow Leopard pre-installed, then it doesn't affect you.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT