Book Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Book Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain

Post by jomotopia »

The Art of Racing in the Rain
by Garth Stein
http://www.garthstein.com/arr/

This book is fantastic. It's about a semiprofessional race car driver and is "written" by his dog, Enzo. Everything is from the dog's perspective. It's a great story about love, life, struggles, heartache, and happiness. It's very well written and a fun and easy read.

I first heard of this book on Monday on IWSTI.com. I bought it on the way home from work that day, and stayed up until 1AM reading half of it that night. Then last night I stayed up until 2AM to finish it (consequently I am a zombie today). I could not put it down. I don't think I've ever finished a book so quickly (though I came close with Marley & Me which is longer).

Anyone who loves dogs will love this book. Anyone who likes racing will also like it, but you don't have to be into racing to thoroughly enjoy the book. It is the backdrop, not the heart of the story. I highly recommend it to anyone. I expect it will be one of the few books in my life that I read more than once.

Rating: 5/5
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Book Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain

Post by LHOswald »

only books ive read that i will continue to read for a long time again and again are fight club, fallen angels, inside delta force, the last true story ill ever tell, a clockwork orange and the artemis fowl series
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Patrick Dempsey is supposed to be starring in this movie at some point in the future. Considering he races for Mazda, he is a fitting character for the dog owner.
Been driving stick since March of 2009
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

they're making a movie of this!? awesome! :mrgreen:

i just hope they maintain the "from the dog's perspective" aspect of it.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Hmmmmm. I'd consider picking this up. I'm not much of a reader outside of school(minus online reading). What section of a book store would I look for this? I like manga, but those books are expensive, so I no longer buy them :lol: .
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

it's a novel so it will be in the fiction section.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I was about to come in here and ask you all these questions about actually racing in the rain :lol:.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If ENNY of you maroons actilly knew how to read and had actilly read this book, you would know it is about "The Race of Artesians", held yearly in Zagreb, Croatia. Twelve indentedly prepared race cars, all painted in primer white, start the race on a dry, but threatening day. As the race progresses and the predicted rain falls, powdered tempera paints come to life and the cars end the race covered with swirling patterns of color, much like the famous Croatian Easter eggs
Image. The cars are raced with autistic co-drivers who direct the drivers toward the appropriately colored puddles of paint needed to achieve the artist's intent. After the race, the cars are auctioned off for charity and typically displayed in the lobbies of businesses that bid for them.

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:If ENNY of you maroons actilly knew how to read and had actilly read this book, you would know it is about "The Race of Artesians", held yearly in Zagreb, Croatia. Twelve indentedly prepared race cars, all painted in primer white, start the race on a dry, but threatening day. As the race progresses and the predicted rain falls, powdered tempera paints come to life and the cars end the race covered with swirling patterns of color, much like the famous Croatian Easter eggs
:lol: Where did you get that cockamamie story? The Race of Artesians is a race to see whose spring/well water moves fastest.

Somebody doesn't know how to spell.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Where did you get that cockamamie story?
I am too embarrass touché that I made it up, so let me say that I was plowing a field in Northern Minnesota and the plow unearthed some gold tablets and the story was written on them in a languish that only I could comprehend and I felt it was my Dog-chosen duty to spread the word of this amazing event and not let others be misplumbum by some blaspheming author's attempts at humor from a dog's perspective.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

i was just gonna' welcome jomo back when i realize a bot made this into a zombie thread. sorry jomo.

but these bots are getting very sophisticated, to the point where i can't tell if it's a non native english speaker or a bot; instead of being wildly off topic they're atleast vaguely on topic.

which also made me realize that rope's alice in wonderland posts don't seem too dissimilar from the bots'. the difference being i'm usually smarter than the bot.

i wouldn't mind giving the book a read though.