2008 Giant Trance 1

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

2008 Giant Trance 1

Post by AHTOXA »

I feel that I have a decent amount of time on this bike to write a good review.

Trance 1 is second in Giant's XC/Trail lineup starting from Trance 0 to Trance 4. Trance 0 is top of the line and Trance 4 is entry-level for this model. Higher end model will have better components and may be lighter as well due to different materials used for frame construction sometimes.

Overall Performance - 4.5
Weight - 4
Components - 4.5
Suspension effectiveness - 5
Handling - 5
Climbing - 4

I have done a lot of research when I was looking for a bike. I walked into a bike shop in the city with an intention of looking at another bike. However, my eyes caught this and I had to give it a shot. I rode it around and it was great and everything I needed. When I found out that this was a close-out (being an '08 model sold in mid '09) I couldn't pass it up. With a regular retail sticker of $2300-2400 I picked it up for just around $1800 and could not be happier.

Overall handling is superb. It is nimble and tossable with little effort. I find that with proper suspension and tire setup it is easy to toss it into a hard turn and not eat dirt as the result. It will eat most any terrain and being more of a trail bike than an XC bike helps when the going gets rough. Technical, fast, rocky descends are stable with little hop from the rear end. Brake modulation is very good with hydraulic Hayes Strokers. I was also pleased to see that stock this bike came with Kenda Nevegals front and back. I was dead-sure that I was going to take off my Panaracers from the Specialized but these are performing great and perhaps even better than the Panaracers when it comes to wet rocks or logs.

I have recently decided to weigh in my bike. It seems that with an XL frame it came in at just 27 lbs. With this size of frame I can't complain. This is actually lighter than my hardtail was believe it or not.

Component set is working out well so far. Nothing too fancy: XT front, Sram X9 rear with WTB speeddisk wheelset, DT swiss hubs and spokes, raceface cranks, BB, seatpost, stem and handlebars. Fox FFloat II rear shock and Fox RL front both air with rebound adjust. So far no issues aside from a weight popping noise that I started to feel through the crank but it's very subtle. Will see what develops and go from there, I suppose.

The suspension on this bike is truly awesome. I have read a lot of good things about the Maestro floating pivot on this bike and compared to my friend's bike (he's of similar weight and sets his suspension to ride in similar manner on the same course) there's less bobbing when pedaling yet when it's needed it's just as effective at keeping traction.

My only real gripe with this bike is seemingly light front end when climbing. As opposed to the hardtail it seems a little more eager to lift the front tire off the ground. Surely, it was a matter of adjustment and weight placement and it's nothing that I can't adapt to but it was giving me some issues on the first few rides on it. Then again, FS bikes are hardly ever better climbers than hardtails. But then again, the added traction that full suspension gives you is a huge benefit and worth giving up a bit of climbing ability.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: 2008 Giant Trance 1

Post by watkins »

That weighs less than a single one of the winter rims Im getting.

Sex possibilities?
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

watkins wrote:Sex possibilities?
Remove seat from post?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a