1994 Isuzu Rodeo

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

1994 Isuzu Rodeo

Post by ElectroGhandi »

4 door SUV (5 if you count the tailgate?)
V6, 5 speed manual, 2WD :(
Mint green (one of 2 acceptable colors for this car, the other being silver. The black Rodeos wouldn't be half bad if they didn't ship with mandated pink interior. *barf*)

Ride and handling - 5
Fuel economy - 3
Reliability - 4
Fun - 5
Practicality – 4
Style - 5
Power - 4
Overall - 4.5

Ride and handling
I am infatuated with the feel of truck frames. More specifically, compact truck-based SUVs, like this Rodeo. This car feels tough and ballsy when you drive it, or even just ride in it. The high ground clearance and the shallow floor creates a sense of power. The Rodeo handles pretty well for an SUV. The last thing you will feel when driving this truck is bloated.

Fuel Economy
You can't win in this category when you have a truck-based SUV. Sure, you could get a Honda CR-V and get crazy gas mileage, but the Rodeo isn't a CR-V. Gas mileage isn't terrible, comparatively, but it certainly isn't stellar. Sorry, I don't have any numbers here. I don't feel like calculating them. :)

Reliability
As with all Japanese cars, this thing will run forever. Now, is it as trouble free as my Nissan Sentra? No. The Rodeo has had some electrical issues, most notably the windows refusing to go back up after you put them down. We've had to deal with this recurring issue many times. But all cars have problems, you just deal with them and move on. For a 15 year old truck, I'd say it's been pretty good.

Fun
Rodeos are really fun. :D Even though this is only a 2WD model (grrr), you can use it for outdoor fun. It has a trailer hitch so you can tow a boat. Ample cargo space provides reason to carry your "items" such as bear carcass. In addition to what you can do with it, it's just a really run car to drive. The engine noise is a magnificent pseudo Detroit Diesel sound. I simply love this car.

Practicality
If you are looking for a compact SUV, the Rodeo is very competent. The tailgate is pretty cool. You swing the external spare tire assembly to the left, the tailgate to the right, and prop open the rear window. Then, you can fold the rear seats down to give you more cargo space. You can even totally remove them. The Rodeo is also very inexpensive compared to other SUVs in its class. Right now, you can get a Rodeo from the same era as mine (1992-1997) dirt cheap. Like $1,000. A newer Rodeo won't be more than $6,000. Unfortunately, the Rodeo isn't made anymore since Isuzu has ceased selling consumer vehicles in the US. It's sad, I know. I used to have a 1991 Trooper. :D

Style
You'd have to be crazy not to think the Rodeo is attractive. It holds its charm even in its old age. If you are driving a 15 year old Mercury Sable, it's not gonna look good. A 15 year old Rodeo will still gather street cred. But you have to judge the appearance for yourself.
Note: that isn't my Rodeo, it's a stock photo.

Power The Isuzu's V6 is actually an Isuzu model, replacing the GM V6 in earlier Rodeos. It's not a monster engine, but it's plenty peppy in traffic and very able in towing boats. The 5 speed manual probably helps here; I've heard automatic Rodeos are sluggish, like my automatic Isuzu Trooper. Oh well, I win. :D I *really* wish I had a 4WD model though.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo

Post by theholycow »

Until I read "The Rodeo handles pretty well for an SUV", I forgot that my wife's Rodeo lives up to its name. Trying to keep it in the lane is like riding a bull. My full size pickup is sportscar-like by comparison. If you want excitement, her Rodeo delivers it in basic smooth pavement cruising at the speed limit.

If you've got the same V6 as she does, the manual transmission makes all the difference. Hers is awfully slow. The engine seems to be a slouch, but the automatic transmission is awful. It doesn't like to shift, up or down. It probably wastes a lot of power. It doesn't even have a dipstick (most automatics do, you're supposed to check occasionally).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

theholycow wrote:Until I read "The Rodeo handles pretty well for an SUV", I forgot that my wife's Rodeo lives up to its name. Trying to keep it in the lane is like riding a bull. My full size pickup is sportscar-like by comparison. If you want excitement, her Rodeo delivers it in basic smooth pavement cruising at the speed limit.

If you've got the same V6 as she does, the manual transmission makes all the difference. Hers is awfully slow. The engine seems to be a slouch, but the automatic transmission is awful. It doesn't like to shift, up or down. It probably wastes a lot of power. It doesn't even have a dipstick (most automatics do, you're supposed to check occasionally).
What year is your wife's Rodeo?

Automatic Isuzus are really crappy, and my old Trooper was underpowered to start with. :/
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I absolutely hate these things
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

ElectroGhandi wrote:What year is your wife's Rodeo?

ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

watkins wrote:I absolutely hate these things
Rodeos?

theholycow, yeah, I believe the 2000 Rodeos are totally different cars than my Rodeo.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ElectroGhandi wrote:
watkins wrote:I absolutely hate these things
Rodeos?
Yes. All Isuzu SUVs for that matter. I always have.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

great review.

i've always loved isuzus, especially the rodeo, amigo, and the vehiCROSS/vx.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

vedran wrote:great review.

i've always loved isuzus, especially the rodeo, amigo, and the vehiCROSS/vx.
Yeah, the last few Isuzus like the VehiCROSS and the Axiom were just too extreme with their styling and Isuzu was forced to just rebrand GMs (Ascender and i-series trucks) until they just gave up. So sad.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I've never seen a rodeo, but my buddy held a hoe down for me.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:my buddy held a hoe down for me.
What were you doing to her?

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

That would be found on the Hoe Down threads
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Update on my bitchery:
I had to drive the wife's 2000 Rodeo today, and I may be driving it for a few days, a few weeks, or possibly quite some months ahead. The instability is not quite as severe as I remembered, but it still does not make me feel confident nor is it pleasant for me to drive. Complaints about the throttle, engine, ride, and the automatic transmission remain.

I have to give it credit for getting the interior layout 30% correct, though. The window sill is nominally correct in its placement so my left arm can be reasonably comfortable. That is of extreme importance for me. Vital, even.

The center armrest is behind the front seat and not above my leg, which makes it worthless, the steering wheel needs to be telescoping if it's going to be so close to the dash, and the stalks are hiding behind the wheel so I can't see how to operate the accessories.

If I was buying this vehicle as a beater, I could make the interior work ok for me by hacking the center armrest. As it stands I might see if she'll let me put something on top of the armrest to make it usable.

Edit: Where's the thread with pages and pages of bitching and discussing its instability? I just realized this wasn't that thread.

ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

The center console is useful in mine. I frequently rest my right elbow on it. Overall, the interior in mine is very utilitarian, but pretty unique. My dashboard is a shelf 8) Just wish my seats were better.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

It sounds like the '94 was a whole lot better than the 2000.

If it had a manual transmission and I never drove on the highway I probably wouldn't notice the center armrest deficiency as much.