BlackBerry 8900 Javelin

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

BlackBerry 8900 Javelin

Post by AHTOXA »

After some deliberation and trying out a few other phones I picked up the BlackBerry. I'm glad I did.

Overall Rating 4.75/5

Appearance and functionality:

Very sleek and no eyesore to look at and it functions as good as it looks. What else is needed? Integration is awesome. Your personal email, GPS, internet radio, apps, facebook and other social sites, work email, Instant messaging (AIM, ICQ, BB messaging, Google talk MSN) are all in one place. Facebook notifications, IM notifications, email and other new messages can all be accessed though one folder where they are filed and visually separated. This completely eliminates jumping between applications to retrieve and reply various messages.

The phone has a regular 2.5 mm headphone jack and comes with stereo wired earpiece with mic. With free BB applications streaming music and even local FM stations are a click away.

Customization is also quite extraordinary, which is typical of BlackBerry. Anything can be customized from the number of beeps for incoming notifications to which calls (people) you wish to make exceptions for when the phone is in quite profile. In this case, the phone will ring for that number regardless.

One feature that does stand out is the hi-res screen. You may call it HD if you like. Videos are crisp and as sharp as ever. The speakerphone is also loud and sounds really crisp. No complaints.

If you are like me and a touch-screen phone isn't for you - you'll love the new BB. I cannot do with a touch-screen because I need a tactile keyboard that gives me feedback. Otherwise I'm typing all over the place on the touch-screen and it takes me longer because I have to backspace like every other input.

The only sole reason I didn't give this phone 5/5 is because of lack of 3G. While this is somewhat of a drawback, GPRS/EDGE is still fast enough and at home and other places I use Wi-Fi regardless.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Re: BlackBerry 8900 Javelin

Post by ihartmacz »

Sweet phone! Looks a lot like the Bold that Verizon will get on May 13th. Sounds like the HSDPA/UMTS isn't in your area yet.

The Palm Treo that I got from Verizon is nice; maybe I should review it.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

ihartmacz wrote:Sweet phone! Looks a lot like the Bold that Verizon will get on May 13th. Sounds like the HSDPA/UMTS isn't in your area yet.

The Palm Treo that I got from Verizon is nice; maybe I should review it.
Lulz!

I love hearing cellular terms... I remember back when every other word out of my mouth at work was phone related.

NEVER buy an LG Shine... I HATED those calls. All warranty replacements. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Blackberry calls were never that bad, but DAMN a few of them were EPIC pains in the ass.
Had to transfer at least two people to RIM because I couldn't for the life of me find what they needed to know.

It looks sleek though, man.
Me like.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

comingbackdown wrote:NEVER buy an LG Shine... I HATED those calls. All warranty replacements. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
For a cheap cheap phone, the Shine is actually very nice. More functionality and better features than nearly every other phone Ive played with in the price range. Only issues are physical. The buttons are not particularly easy to tell by feel, which makes stealth texting difficult, and the nub control just kinda sucks.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I've been put off from LG's a long time ago working at the old job. Many models of their phone had higher-than-average rate of problems and issues. Many of those were recurring.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Theyve definitely increased in quality. I remember how bad they used to be.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

One I see now are fairly crappy as well.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

My bad experience was based solely on CDMA LG phones. T-Mobile doesn't even carry any LG phones.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

The Shine had random issues where it would shut itself off very, very often, take AGES to boot back up, and then do it again. Over and over and over and over and over. Once it started, there was no stopping it, period. They tried everything that a consumer could do, no luck. I think they were totally shot once they did that.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I have never once heard of or experienced that problem
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

watkins wrote:I have never once heard of or experienced that problem
I did. I got that call all the time working for AT&T. Repeated instances. About every other call I took for somebody with a Shine was that particular problem.
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0

Post by Zexel »

I'd say 2/3's of the Shine's we sell get returned. Customers keep telling me the battery life sucks balls. But I agree that the "nub" control is awful. When the slider is closed, it's hard to go up in the menu without sliding open the phone. I personally liked the controls on the European version of the Shine much better.
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

The worst LG phone ever is the enV2...

The worst PHONE ever is the Samsung Glyde. That phone is utter bullshit.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Zexel wrote:Customers keep telling me the battery life sucks balls.
Yes, yes it does. This will last a weekend on one charge if I never use it. A day max if I make a few calls and text a couple of times. My old Motorola would go a whole long weekend on a single charge with a few calls and texts a day.

I have to say though, the Shine has one amazing redeeming feature in the camera. The flash has the option to be turned on and left on. This thing is so amazingly bright that it brings the using-your-phone-as-a-flashlight thing to a wholly unobtainable level for 99% of phones out there.
ihartmacz wrote:The worst PHONE ever is anything made by Samsung
Fixed
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

I personally always liked the Blackjack II.

Agreed on the Samsung phones though. I never liked those either, and even though I worked for AT&T, I was never a fan of the HTC phones.