Race Driver:GRID for XBOX 360

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Race Driver:GRID for XBOX 360

Post by mesaboogie18 »

This is by far my favorite racing game. Everything about this game is cool. The title screen music alone made this game worth buying. The demo was great and I played it quite a bit in anticipation for the actual game to come out.

Graphics/Sound 10
The graphics are amazing. The cars are beautiful and lifelike. The scenery is gorgeous and it has somewhat real time weather effects in the 24 hours of Le Mans races where each hour actually passes in 1 minute, making it the 24 minutes of Le Mans. Still, it's cool to see the sun set and rise. The attention to detail put into the design of the cars is great. The interiors of the cars are amazingly detailed as well. The tachometer, speedometer, and boost gauge, etc... move in real time in relation to your speed. The interiors are incredibly detailed, down to the color of the instrument panels and gauges when your headlights are on. The sounds that the cars make are pretty convincing and with surround sound speakers, you'd swear that a Shelby GT just flew past you. The raspy exhausts from the Nissan Sylvia's sound just like those blasted kids with 240's and coffee cans next door.

Gameplay 10
Like I said, the title screen music is great and it plays until you race. You get to choose a name for yourself and a country of origin. One very cool thing about this game is that you can choose a name to be called by and the people in the game call you by your name verbally. Every time I cut on the game and it starts up, the nice lady in the game says to me "Hello Daniel, your car is ready and waiting." I love it! The menus are pretty neat to navigate through as well. The types of races are diverse and all are pretty fun. There's circuit racing, touge, drift, rally, etc... My favorite so far is drifting which is waaaayyyy better than in the Need for Speed games. The coolest in game feature has to be the helmet view. You actually sit in the cockpit of the car and you can watch as the driver shifts each gear for upshifts and downshifts and steers the car. You can make the driver look to his left or right to see the cars on either side of you. There are other views of course, but this one is the best. Gran Turismo 5 has the same view, but I love the way it is used in this game. It's more realistic than Gran Turismo in the sense that if you crash your car, you will destroy it, and every bit of damage adds up. There's no running head on into a car and then bouncing back and going your merry way. If you crash too many times, it gets to the point that your car won't steer left or right anymore. You get a real sense of speed when you're going 200+mph in the super cars. Understeer and oversteer are accurately portrayed especially when drifting. The races are fun and not frustratingly hard, nor are they boring. Oh yeah, another neat feature is the rewind feature. Say you're in first place on the last lap of a long race and you've got one more sharp corner to make and some douche in a Lamboraghini Murcielago is right on your @$$ and you make the turn too wide and he zips in front of you and wins. That sucks right? Well you can rewind up to that point and give it another go until you make the turn correctly, up to 5 times depending on difficulty. Or let's say you crash your Dodge Challenger SRT-8 and total it, you can rewind and save yourself a trip to the Dodge stealership with a check for $70,000!!! There are so many cool aspects to this game. It's a blast.

Overall
This game is definitely worth buying if you're into racing games or cars in general...which every single of you on here are :wink: Just download the free demo and give it a whirl. The title screen music is seriously catchy and somewhat addicting. This is one of my favorite XBOX games for sure, right behind Call of Duty 4.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Re: Race Driver:GRID for XBOX 360

Post by Bawked »

Graphics 8/10

The graphics are good, but blurring was waaaay over done. Still gives the game the fast paced style needed for an arcade, but at times you wish there was less blur so you could see where you are going. Other than that graphics are very good, at the top of racing game graphics.

Gameplay 7/10

It is fun, very fun. But to be honest the fun factor wears off rather quickly, drift mode is crazy.... its like your rear wheels have diesel squirter's going at em all race... traction doesn't exist. You can tho link some insane although "unrealistic drifts"... this is the mode i enjoyed the most as once you have the hang of the "simple" drift physics you cn have tons of fun. But after a few laps it does become tiresome.

Overall 7.5/10

The selection of cars is awesome and the events give the game nice variance, for a few days anyway but son this game will be back in the case until a raining day when u stumble upon it again
<3 fwd
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

GRID is awesome. i loved it, and i'm sure i'll pick it up again some day when i'm not totally hooked on a new game (i have trouble playing more than one game at a time, currently on Fallout 3). i found it a nice balance between arcade and strict simulation. lots of fun, great graphics, great gameplay.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It was a nice game. I do find myself going back to Forza 2, but not GRID.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650