MkIV GTI 1.8T and VR6

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

MkIV GTI 1.8T and VR6

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Here is my review of my current vehicle along with a comparison of my friend's VR6. Both are great cars and a blast to drive.

Performance Score-4
Both the 1.8T and VR6 have a plethora of power straight from the factory. The 1.8T makes 100hp per liter of displacement with it's turbocharged and intercooled four cylinder engine. The VR6 makes 200hp with it's 2.8 liter "R32 Jr." VR6 engine. The delivery of power is very different between the two. The VR6 has instant power and lots of torque from a standstill and pulls through all gears...even 6th gear on the highway. The 1.8T gets it's power in a less civil way. Acceleration from a standstill starts off normal enough until the turbo spools up and the car takes off. The tires are easier to spin in the 1.8T than the VR6, possible b/c the 1.8T has available torque at 1,750 RPMs. There is a bit of a weight advantage for the 1.8T, but only by 100 lbs. or so. The 1.8T doesn't pull quite like the VR6, but it does the job...especially after a chip. I tested out the 5 hour REVO chip demo that had only "mild" boost and it was ALOT faster than the VR6. Then again, it had an extra 20hp and 45 lb/ft of torque with the chip. So in a drag race with the two, it comes down to the driver. With a chip however, the 1.8T will out accelerate the R32. The 1.8T's 5 speed isn't silky smooth, but it feels nice. It's a little clunky and misses 3rd gear from time to time, but it's notchy and sporty. The VR6's 6 speed on the other hand is as smooth as a baby's buttocks. The clutch action is enjoyable on both cars. It grabs just right. Not too high and not too low. As far as how the engine's sound, they are both very quiet in stock form. You can hear the turbo whistle, but the stock air box mutes it a bit. The VR6 with an aftermarket exhaust sounds like sex. Oh, did I mention that the first generation Audi TT shares the Golf's platform and the 1.8T's motor? Yep. 8)

Ride/Handling Score- 5
Handling in both cars is fantastic. You can take corners rather quickly with these cars. The 1.8T isn't as nose heavy as the VR6, so it might handle a bit better, but I couldn't feel too much of a difference. Like I said, both cars are a blast to drive. Stopping power is great in these little cars. Traction control helps out but at the cost of acceleration. As soon as the computer senses that the wheels are spinning, it restricts the power applied to the front wheels. It's great for wet weather and you can always cut off the traction control when it's time to race. :twisted: Road noise isn't too bad in the MkIV. The ride is pretty smooth, but with 17 inch rims and low profile tires, it's not granny car smooth.

Tunability Score- (1.8T) 5 (VR6) 2
This is where the difference is made rather clear between the two. With about $2000 worth of modifications, you can bump the 1.8T from 180hp/174lb/ft tq up to 240hp/260lb/ft tq. Put $2000 into the VR6 and you're lucky to get 200BHP. A $500 chip alone will bump the 1.8T up to 200BHP and 240lb/ft torque. It's very easy to get power for cheap from the turbo motor. The VR6 however will always sound beastlier after you've done Intake and exhaust. There aren't a lot of options for tuning the VR6 for cheap though.

Interior Quality Score- 5
The interior is fantastic. The 1.8T has soft, yet supportive buckets up front. The seats have a cool pattern in them too. The VR6 come equipped with leather and it's comfortable as well. The VR6 comes with a few more goodies than the 1.8T, such as a computer that monitors fuel economy, miles until empty, etc...and it comes with heated seats. The interior is pretty upscale for a compact car, but then again, VW gets it's parts from Audi, and the Golf is cousins with the A3 and it shows. The rear seats are pretty small and you can get a little clostrophobic since the rear windows don't roll down. It's definitely not a baby-making back seat, but it will do. The hatch area is pretty spacious, though not as spacious as my Elantra GT's hatch. The sunroof is great b/c you just have to turn a dial and it will open automatically. The remote is nifty b/c it's a switchblade key. The alarm is not too sensitive, but in a good way. You can rock the car back and forth and it will not go off. Open it without the key and try to start the car however, and the alarm goes off and the engine's immobilizer kills the engine. The gauges light up a nice blue color with red needles, while everything else (radio, climate controls, etc...) light up red.

Style Score- 5
These are cute cars. Yeah I said it. Cute. Or so I've been told by girls. It might not be manly to drive a "cute" little car, but chicks dig cute cars. Mini Coopers are cute and you all know that you'd love to own one. So all macho-ness aside, these are nice looking cars. They look good from any angle. They aren't plain econoboxes. These are hot hatches for sure. The fender well bulges are muscular and the overall design is sleek. The interior is sporty as well. Some might not like the hatchback style, but I love it. It's the typical hatchback shape, much like the Mazda3, Mazda Protege 5, Honda Civic hatch, etc...It's not as mean looking as the MkV from the front, but it's not a bad looking car. These are sleepers for sure. They look like Golf's, but when the stoplight turns green, they don't chug along like Golfs. Yep. Cute. Man, I need a beer.

Fuel Economy Score-( 1.8T) 4 (VR6)3
I average about 24mpg with my 1.8T with mixed driving (that includes driving like I stole it). That's only 3 mpg less than my Elantra. The VR6 isn't quite as good, but it's not too bad. I'm not sure what my friend averages, but I'd assume it's around 20mpg. Premium fuel is recommended for both cars.

Reliability Score- (3)
These are VW's, not Hondas, so the reliability isn't expected to be great. I've heard that VW's can live forever, but they require lots of maintenance and fixing. The electrical problems are supposedly pretty bad. Case in point: The interior lights don't turn on when you open the driver side door. They cut on when you open the passenger side door, but not the driver side. Both our cars do this and sometimes, the light works. The key fob doesn't always unlock the passenger side door. It was a simple fix: I just had to manually unlock the passenger side door and the key fob worked again. I've only had my car for a month, so I can't vouch for the reliability just yet. My friend has had his VR6 for about 8 months and it runs fine. A few battery issues, but it runs smoothly. We'll see about the reliability.

Practicality Score- (5)
These cars are practical hot hatches. You can carry lots of beers and dead hookers in the hatch AND blow unsuspecting cars off the road. Good fuel economy, great performance, and cargo room to spare, what else could you ask for? Well...maybe a bigger back seat. But for my needs, it's very practical.

Feasibility of Sexual Encounters Score 1 *With sunroof open* 5
If sex in the car is a high priority for you, then this car will certainly dissapoint. The back seat is tiny. If both front seats are pushed all the way forward, you may be able to do the dirty, but like I stated earlier, this is no baby making back seat. Sex in the front seats would be an impressive feat seeing as how the sunroof takes up a bit of space...wait! If you open up the sunroof, then you have TONS of space up front for sex! Maybe sex in the GTI is feasible afterall...if you don't mind your lady friend's head bobbing in and out of the sun roof for some to see. Road head is probably the farthest you will get in the GTI....but b/c you'll have a turbo or VR6 power on tap, you may not be able to contain yourself when she's containing you...so it's best to park and play. :wink:

Bottom Line
These are awesome cars. My favorite car that I've owned so far for sure. I haven't driven a more enjoyable car yet. When it comes down to it, both the 1.8T and VR6 are pretty equal. I prefer the 1.8T b/c of the tunability and the fuel economy, but the VR6 is a great choice as well, especially if you prefer N/A. Both cars can hold their own. Afterall, it was the GTI that started the "Hot Hatch" craze. VDub in Zaaa Hooowwwzzeee! 8)
Last edited by mesaboogie18 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Re: MkIV GTI 1.8T and VR6

Post by ColJessip »

Plausibility of sexual encounters?
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Re: MkIV GTI 1.8T and VR6

Post by mesaboogie18 »

ColJessip wrote:Plausibility of sexual encounters?
How could I forget? Fixed. :wink:
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"