2001 Mitsubishi Eclispe Spyder GT

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

2001 Mitsubishi Eclispe Spyder GT

Post by ihartmacz »

Performance: 7
Handling: 8
Practicality: 8
Reliability: 6
Cost to own: 4
Feasibility of Sexual Encounters: 2

Performance: The GT has a 3.0 24-valve SOHC engine, that is similar to the 2.5L V6 found in the Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Avenger, Dodge Stratus, and the Chrysler Cirrus.

This power plant makes 200hp and similar amount of torque.

Starting second is as easy as starting in first gear in my car. Very good engine, loves to rev and rev and sounds smooth and controlled while doing so. Engine sounds very good to listen to.

Handling: Good. Steering is tight and direct. Steering is not overly heavy and feels on your side.

It's no 3000GT but it really does take a corner, you need to be careful with the gas as it is eager to get wheelspin if you're in second.

Practicality: Pretty small with the convertible. Not a lot of trunk room, there is enough room for two people, but the back seat is very tight.

Reliability: The car is pretty reliable when taken care of. The transmission, clutch and starter went out on it before 80,000 miles, but I believe that to be the fault of some race-happy kid - not Mitsubishi.

Cost to own: Returned 22mpg in town frequently. He's claimed as high as 30mpg on the highway when keeping it to 65mph. Parts aren't very cheap, and has a tight engine bay - timing belt would be a nightmare.

Feasibility of Sexual encounters: This car is good for picking up chicks, not for laying them inside. There's a high console in the middle and not much room. Kissing and soft making out if about all you're going to be doing.

Like I said before, when cruising we would see a lot of women doing the same, and we would often get looks from them. People smile a lot and people seem to get out of the way of it.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: 2001 Mitsubishi Eclispe Spyder GT

Post by permabanned »

gay.

only true eclipses are 1st and 2nd gens. if you buy an eclipse thats not a DSM, your buying communism. 3rd and 4th gen eclipses are like tiptronic, you want an eclipse but you dont want to deal with a DSM.

its kinda pointless having one if its doesnt turn you into a mechanic
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

Reliable DSMs are communism?

The first and second gen DSMs (Lazer, Talon, Eclipse, 3000gt, Stealth, Mirage, Summit (not LHS Vision)) should be reliable cars. The 6-bolt motor is a good one, and the transaxles are good, too.

It's all the little electrical things that go wrong, and the interiors fall apart after a while.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

Japan = democracy
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

WORST ENGINE EVER

I should know. Ive been working on one for almost two months
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Alright, I'll be the 1st one to say it. How the hell can you review all these cars? You most likely don't own them, and if you have owned them previously, how the hell do you remember all the details?
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

^ lawl hes a millionaire havn't u googled him yet??
<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

no such thing as a reliable DSM.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

Tinton wrote:Image
**The broken timing belts were recalled by Chrysler in 1991 or 1992. The affected vehicles need an updated tensioner**

View these videos I put on youtube for details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwecE8OOLU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q5xaUm0Kto

If you think this is a bad engine, then the 3.0L in the Chrysler minivan, spirit, acclaim and 3000gt are bad. They're basically the same with different heads.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

ofcourse its bad

3000gt is way too heavy, thus its a bad car, even if it does look stunning
acclaims and whatever the hell their rebadges are, they are all for old people
minivans dont have a place in this discussion

this discussion is about how the only eclipse that should ever be purchased is a 1st or 2nd generation. if you buy anything else you are a poser because you want an eclipse but dont want to deal with the DSM. the sole reason you buy a DSM is because you know you can take what a terrible hackjob it is (courtesy of mistubishi and previous owners) and make it into a car that runs most of the time. o and 1000hp capable engine and endless aftermarket doesnt hurt much either

id definitely rock a DSM, but its either 4g63 or GTFO
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

permabanned wrote:ofcourse its bad

3000gt is way too heavy, thus its a bad car, even if it does look stunning
acclaims and whatever the hell their rebadges are, they are all for old people
minivans dont have a place in this discussion

this discussion is about how the only eclipse that should ever be purchased is a 1st or 2nd generation. if you buy anything else you are a poser because you want an eclipse but dont want to deal with the DSM. the sole reason you buy a DSM is because you know you can take what a terrible hackjob it is (courtesy of mistubishi and previous owners) and make it into a car that runs most of the time. o and 1000hp capable engine and endless aftermarket doesnt hurt much either

id definitely rock a DSM, but its either 4g63 or GTFO

The 4G63 is defiantly a bad-ass motor, but really, 1,000hp? I'm good enough with cars that I think a 1g or 2g DSM is an okay choice.

I guess if you want a really shitty car you can get the non-turbo 3g Eclipse - you know the one with the Neon engine with a leaky bedplate. Or you can spring and get a turbo DSM that will walk the crank when you're turning.

Yes, the 3000gt is heavy, but it's f**k nice! I've driven a VR-4 but not enough to review it.

I've actually had enough of cars with 4-cylinder power plants. My Mazda pisses me off because it doesn't have enough balls. Unless the car is is turbo'd it won't be my next car unless it has at least 200hp.

I don't give a shit about gas anymore. My Mazda is awesome because I just got 400 miles in my last tank and it costs me <$30 to fill it up now. I don't have anything to show for it, though. It's not exciting enough.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

gas is under 2 dollar a gallon, i wouldnt care if i was driving something with a sherman tank engine (18 liter DOHC V8) and getting half a mile to the gallon.

6 bolts dont crankwalk, 7 bolts do. its a common swap to put a 6 bolt engine in a 2nd gen DSM.

block is cast iron, its amazing the power these little shits can hold. AMS built a 1063hp, 630something torque 4G63 for the ricer magazines engine building challenge.

natural aspirated 4 cylinder cars a a waste unless they are either built for all motor or boosted. NA stock 4 bangers are useless.

fast forward to 1 minute into it, and dont mind the obnoxious JDM music that will make you want to ram your head thru your monitor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ksflubIoI

and the best thing is, those cars are street cars. why not make 1000hp when you can use it. AWD FTW, and you can bet they will light up all 4 tires when the turbo spools
another good one. this one was a the modified mag a few months back when he was making 800ish awhp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LFWYd6No7Q
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

Yeah, 7-bolt DSMs are gay.

I do need an 18L DOHC V8 in my life.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

and the best part, the 18 liter twin cam v8 tank engine was back in WW2. it was a ford too, went in sherman tanks.

twin cam v8s in 1940s, way to go ford. i dunno what crossed their minds to go back to pushrods after poking around with the superior twin cam technology, but o well.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr