2001 Mitsubishi Eclispe Spyder GT

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Re: 2001 Mitsubishi Eclispe Spyder GT

Post by Tinton »

permabanned wrote:ofcourse its bad

3000gt is way too heavy, thus its a bad car, even if it does look stunning
acclaims and whatever the hell their rebadges are, they are all for old people
minivans dont have a place in this discussion

this discussion is about how the only eclipse that should ever be purchased is a 1st or 2nd generation. if you buy anything else you are a poser because you want an eclipse but dont want to deal with the DSM. the sole reason you buy a DSM is because you know you can take what a terrible hackjob it is (courtesy of mistubishi and previous owners) and make it into a car that runs most of the time. o and 1000hp capable engine and endless aftermarket doesnt hurt much either

id definitely rock a DSM, but its either 4g63 or GTFO
The only true Eclipses are 89-99 models. 2000+ are all heavier, FWD-only, and aren't turbocharged. One of these days I'd like to have a 90-99 Eclipse GSX (210 hp turbo AWD) but they suck for reliability and I don't need more unreliable cars.
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Mits Evo MR

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

This is why you needed to buy a GTS or a 2005 Spyder GT like mine. I would change a few things if I were writing a review of mine.

The 6G72 in mine (when it was stock) came with 210hp @5750rpm, and 205ft-lb torque at 3750rpm. The powerband is fatter due to MVIM (Mitsubishi's Variable Intake Manifold- i.e. variable intake runners with butterfly valves), and 10:1 compression pistons. The gears in the transmission were slightly more aggressive than the ones with the base model V6.

The car has only a little understeer for a front wheel drive car, and turns in decently. Acceleration was decent (much better after ECU reflash). Strongest area in powerband was midrange, which is not surprising because that is the area that had to be messed with the least when it was tuned. From the factory it is lean at the bottom and gets rich as hell at top-end.

Has very smooth clutch and shifts very smooth but there is a little more notchiness than I would like. Short Shifter and ES bushings improves this great (CHEAP mod!!!)

Only problems I have with mine is that cars made after mid 2001 (not sure if your's falls in this category) were all switched to california spec emissions. Mine has two pre-cats and a main cat that choke exhaust all to hell and make smog legal headers utterly impossible. The car, like most convertibles, was a bit heavy from the factory (curb weight on mine was 3270 ish lbs) but I managed to trim a bit of weight in the form of lighter wheels, lighter exhaust, and removal of the spare tire and jack for playing at the drag strip.

*****NOTE TO TUNERS*****
The 6G72 is not a crappy motor but when it comes to being compared to the 4G63, it gets a bum rap because of the fact that it replaced a legendary, albeit unreliable in many cases, motor. I have nothing but love for the 4G63 as long as it is a 6 bolt, but the increased reliability and smoothness (find a V6 smoother than a 6G72 and I'll be amazed. Nissan VQ motors dont come close...), was a much needed breathe of fresh air. I actually like the fact that Mitsubishi decided to have a larger displacement 2 door and a turbocharged AWD beast that is the Evo. I would, however, not complain if they made the Eclipse AWD, RWD, or at least put in a Limited slip differential.

There are some tuning possibilities for the 6G72 in the way of superchargers. Most turbo kits are unreliable and iffy. The problems with boosting the 6G72 is the fact that the temperatures made by turbochargers wear down the engine a little bit, due to a staggered cam setup that causes one bank to get worked a little more, and an already high compression ratio. A company called Ripp makes a centrifigul supercharger kit consisting of a Vortech V-5 blower that makes 295hp (flywheel) on 6psi with Stage 1. With proper tuning these engines have handled up to 15psi. However, it is recommended that a new clutch, headers, LSD, and other things are also installed, so this is not a cheap platform to modify. It can be done but that is why it gets screwed over by the 4G63 because that was a motor that could make tons of power for very little money.
2010 Evo X MR- Rally Red :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3863366
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

Yes, the 6G72 is a very smooth motor!
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
l-x-t
Junior Standardshifter

Post by l-x-t »

Does anyone know if I am able to fit in a a 2003 eclipse GTS intake manifold into a 2001 eclipse GT?
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Mits Evo MR

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

Yes. It can be done. Go on to club3g.com or eclipseforums.org and search through their past posts. Be careful not to ask questions without searching for the answer yourself, cuz they get pissed real quick.
2010 Evo X MR- Rally Red :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3863366