Manitou 13 Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Manitou 13 Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Post by Standardshifter »

Overall: 4.0/5.0

Was finally convinced by friends to get a kayak, and wanted to start off with something cheap, light and small to see if I liked the whole closed deck canoe thang. Wanted a kayak that could handle fitting through narrow rocky channels, could turn fairly quickly, but also was decently fast given the size and price range I was looking for. The canoes are reserved for camping, so I didn't much storage space. Also wanted something that I didn't have to worry too much about scraping up, so plastic hull material it was. Same goes for a rudder or skeg, wanted my first kayak to be as simple as possible.

Ended up with the Necky Manitou 13. Good choice for what I wanted. Fast in the flats (5 mph average over miles is fairly easy), light (43 pounds) and fairly cheap ($550 at the time). Decent-sized cockpit opening means it is fairly easy to get in and out of, right inbetween a full rec kayak and ocean kayak in terms of the opening's size. Stabiliy is good especially considering the speed, and if you edge it, it can turn very quickly. It is certainly a step up in terms of performance versus the shorter full-on rec kayaks you can buy. I'd put it into the "performance recreational class" of kayaks.

Downsides? The combing is a little sharp on the inside when it comes time to carry, but it isn't too big of a deal. The seat has a few too many adjustments with a number of straps which are more of a pain than they are worth but again not too big of a deal. Also, it doesn't have a forward bulkhead, so float bags would be a must for any real ocean paddling.

If I had to do it over again, I might have stepped up to the Manitou 14. A bit bigger, a little faster, with a forward bulkhead, safer in open sea conditions and has enough storage space for weekend overnighter. And only a few pounds heavier. However, it was significantly more expensive, and has a skeg, something I at the time I wasn't sure I wanted, and something that can break/jam down the road.

Will certainly be keeping the Manitou 13 for lazy afternoons on the river, and some Class I/Class II NE races come spring. Definitely recommend folks that are fit and want to get into kayaking to start off with this class boat at a minimum.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Re: Manitou 13 Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Post by Bawked »

i've only been kayaking a couple of time but its pretty fun tbh, paddling against the current for hours is a REALLY good workout (don't ask.... we were trying to reach waterfall) :?

those old wooden kayaks btw suck, i used a newer plastic one after and wow it was so much quicker and easier to control, it was an open top one.
<3 fwd
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Manitou 13 Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Post by watkins »

I love kayaking. Ive done both ocean and lake, and both are great. Id love to be able to get more experience/time to go in the future.