2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L Automatic

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L Automatic

Post by ihartmacz »

Performance:
Handling:
Practicality:
Reliability:
Cost to own:

Performance:

With it's 3.7L SOHC V6 with 2 valves per cylinder, it is strong in the mid ranges. It has 210 horsepower and 237ft-lbs or torque and it can gallup to 60 in around 8 or 9 seconds. It provides an exciting grunt up to about 4,000RPM, but after that, you should just stop trying.

After all, shouldn't you have just gotten the Jeep with the 4.7L engine that this one was based off of. Simply put, this engine is literally just the 4.7L v8 with 2 missing cylinders... There's even an HO 4.7L V8.

The transmission is a 4-speed autobox that doesn't like shifting at all. You can floor it and get a satisfying downshift from the Chrysler built 545RFE, but when you lift off the gas from WOT you get a slow up shift and the engine continuing to sing at 5,000RPM and no appearance of a shift.

There is a 5-speed manual available.

One thing I wonder is why Chrysler didn't use the already well-proven, 3.8L V6 engine that it has had from the minivan line. That engine has more power in the best range for an off-road vehicle.

Just an FYI: Keep up with maintenance, especially oil changes! There are 3 timing chains!

Handling:

I know this is a more off-road type car, but the steering is heavy for that - saying that, though, it's not sporty. The steering is numb and extremely vague, it seems that Chrysler has masked that by not assisting the steering that much - the way it is setup is appalling.

Body roll is prevalent in slow (15mph) corners and the whole car makes you feel as though it won't do what you want it to do.

From the factory, you cannot drive in a straight line. it's very difficult, and you have to make constant changes with steering wheel to make the cops behind you think that you're not drunk. Pulls strongly to the right, dealer says it's just the way it is.

Practicality:

It has a well designed hatch for easy loading, and the seats ALMOST fold flat. You can pack quite a bit into the Liberty.

Making out is quite easy in the passenger seat, and can be accomplished in the drivers seat, but is difficult due to the steering wheel position.

Lots of room and easy to become comfortable. Seats are supportive if not a little firm, but I like them.

Reliability:

The only thing that has gone wrong with the car is the battery, which was replaced with a better one after a life of 4 years from the Mopar battery.

Recall for the ball joints also, that's it.

Cost to own:

All I can say is that the 3.7L V6 is VERY thirsty. It constantly returns about 9-11MPG.

Summation:

I hate the Jeep Liberty, it's the least satisfying car to drive, EVER. Very utilitarian but it's hard to get along with.

I have driven a 2007 and it was a bit better as it was a Luxury model.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L Automatic

Post by AHTOXA »

Nice review. I think you forgot the actual ratings on top.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

My brother had one of those for a while. It was pretty good overall, it was comfortable and got a futon home (disassembled), never tested it out off road though. The window switches are really annoying though (who the F puts them in the middle?!)
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

euro cars put them in the middle. companies trying to emulate euro cars do too (chrysler, a few chevys)

I've driven them a tiny bit at work and I can't stand the sitting position. the gas pedal is straight forward from the center of the seat with the transmission hump to the side and the other pedals fit accordingly. this results in your lower half being pointed slightly left while your torso/head point straight ahead. I was just awkward feeling after 2 minutes in it every time.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Saab, for one.
breakd0wn88
Junior Standardshifter

Post by breakd0wn88 »

My girlfriend drives one of these, her entire pay check goes to filling this car with gas...very thirsty indeed
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

The 3.7 is a poorly designed engine.

Fires evenly.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"