Got my new (used) wheels today!

All things photo, moving or not.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Got my new (used) wheels today!

Post by AHTOXA »

Any dedicated winter tire will always be better than any all season tire on ice and snow.

Paul, the a cture you posted are NOT winter tires. Zero siping.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

AHTOXA wrote:Any dedicated winter tire will always be better than any all season tire on ice and snow.

Paul, the [pi]cture you posted are NOT winter tires. Zero siping.
They came up under a google search for snow tires. Anyway, the snow tires I used to run 30+ years ago were very chunky treaded like that, and they were not very good on ice, but then maybe no tire would be good on ice in the light rear end weight pickup truck. Anyway, it looks like there are some nice winter tire options out there, but to do the most good need 4 of them regardless of which wheels drive the vehicle. Not likely to do it, too much storage space and hassle for the mild winters we get here. Maybe worth it in Minnesota. If I did it, I would not use the old wheels, they are pretty rotten, would get more wheels like I just got.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Detroit has decent winters as did Chicago. Texas winters are what I would call 'mild'.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:But Googling snow tires shows they are far more advanced today.
This.

As mentioned, there's siping. There's also different rubber compounds. And, in my recommendation, there are metal studs that dig into ice like claws. Around here they're only legal during the winter.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

You are right, very nice tire selections for winter, not sure the legality of metal studs in Michigan.

Here she is in all here police wheel glory with shiny center caps:

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The center caps really help a lot.

I looked it up. In Michigan, studded tires are permitted but only with rubber studs. So lame. I would probably end up running winter tires all year, though I might keep two sets of wheels and tires so I could put on fresh ones before winter and finish wearing out semi-worn ones in the summer. (That's approximately what I do anyway, except I have to pull the studs out.)
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:The center caps really help a lot.
Yeah my wife did not like them until I put the chrome caps on.
I looked it up. In Michigan, studded tires are permitted but only with rubber studs. So lame. I would probably end up running winter tires all year, though I might keep two sets of wheels and tires so I could put on fresh ones before winter and finish wearing out semi-worn ones in the summer. (That's approximately what I do anyway, except I have to pull the studs out.)
Newer tread is the way to go for winter for sure. You have a great idea with the two sets of wheels. I'm not planning on going that route, but it is smart.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i'll put it to you this way (billy mays here!!): my firestone winterforce tires are studdable, but i don't run them with studs. from what i've read, studdable tires aren't designed to do well on ice without studs, while studless tires usually are designed to do okay on ice without studs. these tires without studs handle ice way better than any all-season tire i've used. they're not perfect by any means, but they're plenty good for my needs. if i lived where i had to drive over sheets of ice all day, i'd probably stud them or find a better tire for ice.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

So should I do this :lol: :

Here is why I wanted to get rid of the wheels (besides their being ugly, cheezy, fake fancy):
Pretty serious rot, eh?
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote: So should I do this :lol: :
that would be awesome, 8 or 10 foot bed in a ranger FTW :D
my only question: which set of wheels gets the power?? :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: my only question: which set of wheels gets the power?? :twisted:
Front axle gets power, else have to go around it to second axle. Bad on turns I suspect. They have this on some motorhomes (rare), second axle is called a "tag axle" I guess because it tags along for the ride?
Stick shiftin since '77
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

InlinePaul wrote:
potownrob wrote:huh?! how do you figure that?? my ancient (according to tony) firestone snow tires perform lightyears better on ice than any highly rated all-season tires i've run, despite the firestones not being highly rated for ice. they are actually amazing, and a hoot to drive on snow and ice.
How ancient? The image in my mind of snow tires is from about 30 years ago. Something more like this:

Those aren't going to be any better on ice, maybe worse that regular tires. But Googling snow tires shows they are far more advanced today.
Goodyear Wrangers, if Im not mistaken. Definitely not snow tires at all.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote:Goodyear Wrangers, if Im not mistaken. Definitely not snow tires at all.
What for are they? Look like the kind of tires I would get in the 1970s, like tractor tires.
Stick shiftin since '77
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Mild off road tires. Factory tires on higher trim Jeep Wranglers.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote:Mild off road tires. Factory tires on higher trim Jeep Wranglers.
Guess I never knew what a snow tire was unless they were styled like off road tires back in the 1970s? No wonder they didn't work well on ice.
Stick shiftin since '77