My first car, 04 corolla S

All things photo, moving or not.
warrenm87
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 04 Corolla S

My first car, 04 corolla S

Post by warrenm87 »

Hey guys, I found this forum just trying to find out what battery I need to put into this thing. She *is* a standard.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: My first car, 04 corolla S

Post by potownrob »

welcome to the SS :D :!: :!:
nice car :!:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Welcome.

Look on the battery label for a "group" number. According to autobatteries.com, your car uses a group 35 or group 26R battery. Alternatively, you could measure it with a tape measure.

Also look for a Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating. Try not to get one with a lower CCA rating than your current one.

Finally, pay attention to whether the terminals are on the top or the side. They are probably on the top.

Walmart or any auto parts store can sell you a variety of batteries that will fit.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Nice!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
warrenm87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by warrenm87 »

YAY! No new battery needed, just had to use higher throughput jumper cables it seems.

So, I'm driving again.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Do you know why the battery was flat? If it wasn't merely flat but has failed then it will be dead again soon and will still need to be replaced.

As said above, you can bump start if necessary to get somewhere important (like the store that sells batteries). If you're on a hill it's really easy, just roll down the hill and dump the clutch in 3rd gear (or reverse if you're rolling backwards), then stomp the clutch back down after it kicks the engine over.

It's harmless for the engine (same as using the electric starter) and harmless for the clutch (less wear than a typical stop sign/red light). The rough jerk is a little tough on engine mounts and CV joints but nothing to worry about unless they're already failing.

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

And don't forget to put the key in the ON position. People usually leave that step out. It's probably the most important. And I use 2nd instead of 3rd. Works all the time for me.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, I might use 2nd if I'm getting a buddy to help push. It'll jerk harder but will work at a lower speed.

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:Look on the battery label for a "group" number. According to autobatteries.com, your car uses a group 35 or group 26R battery. Alternatively, you could measure it with a tape measure.

Also look for a Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating. Try not to get one with a lower CCA rating than your current one.

Finally, pay attention to whether the terminals are on the top or the side. They are probably on the top.
The terminals are reversed. Hence the "R" in 26R. GM is the only company that uses side posts. Dumb f*cks.
Not to plug or anything, but Autozone has the best battery warranties and significantly longer-lasting batteries than most other retailers.

And of course, welcome!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Although the location on the side is a pain in the butt, I do like side posts for the easy threading in instead of the hacky clamp system used on top posts.

I learned something new today...I didn't know about the R thing.

watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Well theyre reversed compared to a standard 26 series. There is also 24 and 24F. F is R. Yeah... :?
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

paul34 wrote:damn man, do you ever use your extensive battery knowledge as a pick up line?
This may come as a shock, but thats a negative.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

watkins wrote:
paul34 wrote:damn man, do you ever use your extensive battery knowledge as a pick up line?
This may come as a shock, but thats a negative.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I think what you actually mean is

http://instantrimshot.com/
warrenm87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by warrenm87 »

Ehhhh, I know *exactly* why the battery died. Push-on cab light after a late-night run for mcdonalds. First and last time I'll ever make that mistake.

The bumpstart was my next try but I really didn't want to try it when I found out the car was dead, was heading out to a resturant.

Thanks for all the advice though! This place is a treasure-trove of helpful people.