Plantation

All things photo, moving or not.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Plantation

Post by Tinton »

That's my garden this year, more pics to come, once I actually get to work :wink:.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Plantation

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tinton wrote:Image

That's my garden this year, more pics to come, once I actually get to work :wink:.
Lookin' good - shall we call you Chauncey? Death to the infidel bunnies!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Tinton
Master Standardshifter

Post by Tinton »

More pictures, as promised:

Tomatos:

I've got 6 tomato plants: 2 are cherry tomatos, 3 are bush goliaths and the last 1 in the center is a "lemon" hybrid. Nah it doesn't make tomatos that taste like lemons :roll: it makes tomatos that ripen to a yellow color instead of red. I can't wait to try one, but it'll be a few more days before any are ready.

Eggplants:

Those are my eggplant plants, I've got 2 of them. So far I've gotten a few small eggplants off them (like the 1 in the picture) and there's like 10 currently growing, so hopefully I'll have lots of eggplant soon. Yeah, they look weird and have a funny name but if you salt them to leech the bitter out and fry them they're f*cking delicious :mrgreen:.

Zucchini:

Those are my 2 zucchini plants, they're huge :mrgreen:. I've looked at pictures online and its hard to find anyone else growing some with larger leaves/stems. Of all the plants in the garden they've grown the fastest and they've produced the most fruit so far. I've already gotten 3 grocery-store-size zucchinis off of them and 2 giants that I'm not even sure how to eat.

Squash:

Those are all my squash plants, I think there's about 8-9 of them. When I bought them Home Depot only had them in packs of 9, and I didn't want to throw any out, so I just ended up planting them all. They are doing pretty well but not as good as the zucchini plants, they've produced some fruit already but its been kinda small (only about the size of what you get at the grocery store). I know I planted them too close together but I can't bring myself to kill any, lol. In the first picture, at the bottom you can see 2 other plants too. I didn't get close-up pictures of those but 1 is a thai hot pepper plant (hottest in the world, supposedly like 3x hotter than a habanero) and the other is a tabasco pepper plant. I know I planted them too close to the squash but I had an open area in the garden right there and I wanted 2 more pepper plants :P.

More coming.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter

Post by Tinton »

More:

Cajun Bell Pepper:

That's my cajun bell pepper plant. It hasn't grown much since I got it, but its produced like a half dozen peppers. I've considered picking all the peppers and flowers off it to see if the plant will grow any bigger. BTW, before I got this plant I had never had a cajun bell pepper, they're really good :mrgreen:. They taste exactly like a bell pepper....except they have a little bit of a kick to them. They're about as hot as hot banana peppers.

Red Hot Chili Pepper:

That's my red hot chili pepper plant, as you can see it has a few small peppers on it already. None have ripened to the red color they're supposed to, but I've tried 1-2 anyways. They're real hot :mrgreen:. 1 pepper is good to eat with a salad or maybe with mexican food.

Hot Banana Pepper:

I've got 2 of these plants but I only got 1 picture. A couple weeks ago they produced like 4-5 peppers but they haven't made anything since, besides a couple small peppers that'll be ready in a couple weeks. The peppers that I harvested a couple weeks ago were good though, like 7-8" long and very hot.

Jalapenos:

Those are my 2 Jalapeno pepper plants. They haven't produced anything so far but as you can see, they have like 4-5 almost-ripe peppers on them and like 20 more that'll be ready in a couple weeks.

Cayenne Peppers:

That's my cayenne pepper plant. It makes some pretty hot peppers but I've been disappointed with what its produced so far, the hot banana peppers and cajun bell that I've tried were hotter. I think they have to ripen or something before they get really spicy.

My Dad's upside-down tomato plant:

That's my Dad's tomato plant, he planted it at the same time I planted all my stuff and so far it hasn't produced any ripe tomatos yet. The planter is interesting but its kinda hard to maintain and the plant doesn't get enough sun.

That's about it, there's more plants in my garden but I don't have pictures of them all :P. Besides whats in the pictures I have 2 habanero pepper plants (haven't made any peppers yet), 2 poblano pepper plants, and a strawberry plant.

Here's a couple more pictures of my plantation 8) , just to see how it fits into the yard and everything:

Background:

As you can see, the yard is pretty big and I can make my garden much bigger next year :mrgreen:. Anyways, here's some history on it. I marked the plot and pulled up the grass back in March when it was still cool and over a couple of weeks I tilled, added more topsoil, and put on a layer of mulch. Then about a month after that, in late April, I planted everything you see. The plants grew a bit in May and its only been over the past 2-3 weeks that they've really produced. I've never made a garden that's been this successful before :mrgreen:. At the last two places I tried this the soil was rocky clay and there were trees overhead so it was difficult getting full sun. Apparently this yard at my Dad's place used to be part of a farm, its nice and level and the soil is dark and "loamy". Not only that, there's no trees in the yard either so my plants get a full 8hrs+ sun every day. Maximum amount of sun + good soil + good watering = healthy, productive plants :mrgreen:. Oh yeah, my plants have natural pesticide and the best pollination I've ever seen, too. The yard is infested with ants and they crawl all over the plants but they don't actually harm the plants, from what I've seen they just clean all the pests off and eat them. Also, before my Dad put down grass pretty much the entire yard was clover (bees like clover), I think someone nearby has a bee hive because there's always a crapload of different bees/other pollinating insects in the yard. So all those things combined have let me produce my best garden of all time :mrgreen:.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter

Post by Tinton »

Here's what I've harvested so far:

That's not all of what I've gotten, just what was in the vegetable tray in the fridge.

Tomatos:

I just picked those yesterday, they're all perfect (no scuffs or holes from bugs or anything) and the exact same size as what you find at the grocery store. They taste better though cause they're vine-ripened :D.

Zucchini:

I picked that big zucchini yesterday and that smaller 1 this morning. The smaller 1 is a little bit bigger than what you can find at the store, its 14 ounces. The bigger 1 is a full 34 ounces though, its a giant. I'm planning on making it into stuffed zucchini for dinner tonight :mrgreen:.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I half expected a black scarecrow
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

For some reason i thought this was going to be a different type of garden...But hey it looks like its going well and whats better than Homegrown..
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:I half expected a black scarecrow
Word.

Why is it that anything I plant is doomed to a speedy death? No matter whose directions I follow and how hard I try whatever I plant will die. So far the only exception is a rose bush bought from WalMart, which appears to be surviving, but all I did was dig the hole and shovel the dirt back in.

Once I tried to grow a garden like that. I tilled, then trucked in a dumptruckload of loam, then enough super-quality bagged topsoil to add a couple more inches. My corn, lettuce, and whatever else I planted (this was like ten years ago) never grew. Forever after, it sure was the greenest patch of weeds in that field, though!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Tinton
Master Standardshifter

Post by Tinton »

theholycow wrote:
Word.

Why is it that anything I plant is doomed to a speedy death? No matter whose directions I follow and how hard I try whatever I plant will die. So far the only exception is a rose bush bought from WalMart, which appears to be surviving, but all I did was dig the hole and shovel the dirt back in.

Once I tried to grow a garden like that. I tilled, then trucked in a dumptruckload of loam, then enough super-quality bagged topsoil to add a couple more inches. My corn, lettuce, and whatever else I planted (this was like ten years ago) never grew. Forever after, it sure was the greenest patch of weeds in that field, though!
I've tried growing corn before and it didn't work out. I think the plants only grew like 3 feet tall and they just died :lol:. So corn is tricky to grow. And I know what you mean, I can't grow plants from seeds to save my life but I can grow plants I buy from home depot or whatever. Getting the seeds to germinate right and weeding the garden without picking out the new seedlings are my biggest problems. I'm good with growing immature plants though. If you want to start out with something easy, you should just grow squash and green beans. With either of those you just plant the seeds and in a month or 2 they're full grown. Peppers are a bit harder to grow because they like to get sunburnt and they get stressed real easy, and tomatos get diseases/pests real easy, so they're not for beginners.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter

Post by Tinton »

Nah I'd go for a scarecrow with a KKK hood on it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A few years back, I my garden was the pride of the neighborhood. There is a horse racing track a three miles South and they sent the manure to the mushroom farms 8 miles North of here. The mushroom farmers composted the manure and used it to grow mushrooms in. After they were done with a crop, they would clean out the beds and sell the used composted manure for $5 a trailer or truck-load. I often limped back home with a borrowed pick-em-up riding on the suspension bumpstops, manure heaped up to the top of the cab. I spread it a foot deep in my garden and then let the neighbors come by and take away the rest. Funny part was, you had to rake through it for horseshoes and syringes and wherever pieces of it fell off the sides of the wheelbarrow and on the lawn, mushrooms would grow!

My corn and sunflowers grew taller than me and my wife entered the zucchini in the State Fair and took third place for size.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"