R.I.P. Mazda 3

All things photo, moving or not.
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze

R.I.P. Mazda 3

Post by camera_man »

Well, there's no other way to say this, but last night I totaled my car. Went for a cruise to relieve some stress, which included a really nice, twisty dirt road. I've driven this road MANY times before, so I was familiar with it. Well, on the sharpest corner in the road, I approached at ~40 mph. I began to brake for the corner, and the rear end broke loose from the weight transfer. I wasn't trying to induce a slide, so it caught me off guard. Yes, I realize that I was simply going to fast in the first place, but hindsight is always 20/20. I corrected the fishtail the first way, but the car flicked the other way and then back once again. By that time, there was not enough time (or grip from my all-seasons) to save the slide, and the car skidded off the road, hitting a tree head-on. It then pivoted around that first tree and hit another tree to the driver's side of the car.

I walked away from the accident with nothing more than a sore chest from the seat belt. The car, on the other had, is totaled. The impact was just inside the driver's side headlight. The tree hit the front end of the frame, pushing the entire front sub-structure of the car to the passenger's side by a few inches. It then slid along the engine, crushing the rest of the driver's side of the hood up to the windshield. The engine was shoved back, the front passenger half-shaft was broken, the transmission was snapped from the engine (the shifter was not connected to anything), the entire frame was bent, the front left tire blew out, and the rear driver's-side door is crushed in. Oh, and the airbags went off.

I'm waiting now to hear back from the insurance company, but there is no doubt in my mind that it will be totaled.

Now, pictures:

Here's where the car hit the second tree...

Right in front of the strut tower (next to the destroyed fuse box) is one of my headlights...

So, I'm supposed to leave for break at the end of this week, and the timing for this is horrible (if there can be a good time to total your car). In addition, I now need to find a new car. Combine this with a difficult few weeks at school, life sucks right now.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: R.I.P. Mazda 3

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Sucks to hear that man :( I've been in your position before (albeit with a crappier car) but I understand your grief completely. The worst thing about an accident is that life just keeps going on regardless. Glad to hear you're ok, and good luck man.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Man, that sucks. At least you weren't hurt.

Last time I checked, the depreciation on your car is about as good as it gets, so at least it shouldn't be a massive financial hit.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

:( That sucks dude. Gald you made it out okay.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

That looks pretty bad. You're lucky there wasn't any intrusion into the cabin.
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

damn. that mazda did well on the impact. I was hoping that it would be the fault of a stupid driver cutting you off or something like that, but it wasn't :(. I hate situations like this.ugh.

I hope some luck comes your way! Best wishes dude.

wait.. pink airbags.. seriously?
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter

Post by camera_man »

Warner wrote:Man, that sucks. At least you weren't hurt.

Last time I checked, the depreciation on your car is about as good as it gets, so at least it shouldn't be a massive financial hit.
I will owe a $500 dollar deductible on the insurance regardless. It they value it higher than the loan value of the car, I will get the difference. If it's lower, the gap insurance with the lease company will cover the difference and I will walk away.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter

Post by camera_man »

Caramel wrote:wait.. pink airbags.. seriously?
Yeah, that was actually one of my first thoughts after the impact (among many other things.

Thanks to everybody for the good wishes. I hope this situation turns out alright. I'm mostly just pissed at myself for doing something stupid.
Last edited by camera_man on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Speaking of airbags...not to perpetuate the grief, but wasn't the acrid smell just about the worst smell in your life? It sure was for me. :(
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter

Post by camera_man »

^^^ Yeah, I forgot about that! I was really surprised how bad it smelled. It's still on my clothes a day and a half later (well, the clothes I was wearing, I've changed since).

After the impact, I was in such disbelief as to what happened... as a matter of fact, I still am.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

I understand the feeling of disbelief. When I smacked into the guardrail at the Ravines (really twisty road here) I kept telling myself to wake up from this stupid dream. Didn't happen. :/
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter

Post by camera_man »

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Never happened though. Only thing I woke up to was a wrecked car.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
buster
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Prius

Post by buster »

All I can say is - you walked away from what sounds/looks like a very hard hit. So all is cool...
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter

Post by camera_man »

Exactly. I'm just thankful that I walked away with no injuries. Could have been a lot worse.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

NOOO!!!! At least you have your health. A testament to how safe the Mazda3 is.

So, what now? Think your insurance money is enough for a nice downpayment on a Mazdaspeed3? 8)
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT