V-TEC finally makes sense

All things photo, moving or not.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

V-TEC finally makes sense

Post by LHOswald »

i found this video of how V-TEC works and even though i knew how it works, a visual and oral explanation makes it sOOOOO much easier to understand. enjoy

also, when it says that vtec kicks in at 4500 RPMs, thats not always true. it depends from motor to motor and i think you can even change it in certain systems so it kicks in lower or higher up the engine speed
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: V-TEC finally makes sense

Post by FDSpirit »

Can't see the vid from the phone. But yeah, VTEC varies from motor to motor. I believe in my car it kicks in between 5500-6000rpms. Its awesome. My car pushes my face back when it kicks in :lol: . It really is a great thing. Just that these ricers give it a bad rep.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Yeah as much as I love to joke about it, it really is pretty awesome.

1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Hondas are brilliant, fuel efficient grocery getter which rpm activated race cams and hell even some have double wishbone suspension.

<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

zomfg people are finally getting it.

now you understand why anybody who knows anything about cars likes honda. they are race cars dressed up as grocery getters. just a little civic with better suspension than a 911. engine with more agressive cams than what most big blocks run. same engine that starts first crank and idles perfectly smoothly at 700 rpm and doesnt need to be at 1500 just to stay running. and how many other engines besides B series VTEC make 100hp/liter stock natural aspirated. not very many
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

If only Honda made a V8. Nice low-down torque with the screamy up-top VTEC.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

You haven't felt anything until you feel a boosted VTEC trying to rip your arms off with torque steer. MEAN :twisted:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

six wrote:You haven't felt anything until you feel a boosted VTEC trying to rip your arms off with torque steer. MEAN :twisted:
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

permabanned wrote:same engine that starts first crank and idles perfectly smoothly at 700 rpm and doesnt need to be at 1500 just to stay running.
What engine requires a 1500 RPM idle?
What engine wouldn't idle smooth at 700 RPM?

I'm not saying they don't exist, I seriously don't know what engines are like that...I'm used to the 500RPM idle of American V8s, and frankly the 800RPM idle in my VW seems excessive.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

I Heart Torque

yumm 830hp 1017ft/lbs

I do want a vtak daily driver though. For when I start modding the shit out of the goat. Gonna keep it n/a as long as possible.
Last edited by ColJessip on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

theholycow wrote:
permabanned wrote:same engine that starts first crank and idles perfectly smoothly at 700 rpm and doesnt need to be at 1500 just to stay running.
What engine requires a 1500 RPM idle?
What engine wouldn't idle smooth at 700 RPM?

I'm not saying they don't exist, I seriously don't know what engines are like that...I'm used to the 500RPM idle of American V8s, and frankly the 800RPM idle in my VW seems excessive.
any engine with enough cam to where you have to keep it alive by giving it a lot of rpms.

this is basically what would happen if you took a VTEC engine and constantly ran it in VTEC. it would idle like this, because race cams dont like to idle

and everyones favorite youtube video. this is what happens when you put a massive cam in something and dont raise the idle up. its probably 1 rpm above where it would just not idle. so you raise the idle up so you have a resemblance of idle

turn the volume up

EDIT: even better one. that same cam, better video of the car barely staying alive at probably 1200 rpm idle

ok this one isnt tuned, no wonder it cant even stay running.
Last edited by permabanned on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

oh, and the black corvette is the prime example of what a corvette should be done. its one of americas 2 world class sports cars, the other (ford GT) is plain badass, and the corvette gets the reputation of the old grandpa driving his automatic C5 to the golf course, never getting over 35mph

a corvette should be fast enough to where any flooring of the gas results in instant neck sprain and seat ripping off the floor
it should be loud and obnoxious
it should be slammed.
it needs enormous drag radials on it, not like they are gonna hook worth a shit.
a corvette needs to be riced the f**k out everywhere. if you dont 60 foot every light and dont do a pull down every road, your driving a corvette wrong.

i hate LS sound because it just sounds so shitty and raw and just plain garbage, but that corvette, i like. if i heard a corvette doing a 8000 rpm pull in real life with a loud exhaust like that, id probaby bust a nut in my pants.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Forgot the CTS-V
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

which LSs and mods have you been listening to Ash

modulars all sound very smooth and refined, and have that sound tahts coming thru a long big hollow metal pipe. theres a lot of echo and reverb in the sound, especially the 4 valves. even with agressive cams, modulars still sound refined and smooth.

LSs sound like unfiltered, no bullshit, rough, crude raw power. when its coming from a mullet wagon, i hate it. when its coming from a black Z0sex revving to 9k on a dyno and pegging my headphones and giving me headache, i love it. LS sound is very distinctive though, for a pushrod engine. no other pushrod V8 sound even close to it. its that barky sound at idle and screaming at high rpms.

granted, exhaust setup makes a lot of difference. having mufflers at the back makes the exhaust much barkier and more raw sounding than having mufflers in the middle like on a mustang. thats why mustangs have the hollow pipe sound, because of the echoing in the tailpipes, and the S197 mustang sound like shit, because they dont have anything to echo in
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

permabanned wrote:the corvette gets the reputation of the old grandpa driving his automatic C5 to the golf course, never getting over 35mph

a corvette should be fast enough to where any flooring of the gas results in instant neck sprain and seat ripping off the floor
it should be loud and obnoxious
Ugh. That reminds me...yesterday I was on the freeway in a short traffic backup behind some kind of accident (the first backup I've seen on my commute this year, I think), and there was a late model Corvette in front of me. After the traffic cleared, he was just moseying along, lazily accelerating, and I was wondering how he even does that. With 1/3 of his horsepower (and almost the same weight) I was in 5th gear accelerating much faster uphill...having to pass him on the right really annoyed me.
a corvette needs to be riced the f**k out everywhere. if you dont 60 foot every light and dont do a pull down every road, your driving a corvette wrong.
Nothing I'd ever call "riced the f**k out" should ever be done to a Corvette. If you're just talking about driving fast...it might make sense to at least accelerate harder than most.

On another forum someone posted a video of a C4 being destroyed for Cash For Clunkers, and the ensuing discussion was composed of two factions:
- "OMG they clunkerified a Corvette! That's awful!"
and
- "The C4 is an underpowered piece of crap that should never have been called a Corvette and is worthless"

That got me thinking...since their market value is low enough to get clunkerified, they don't have a huge amount of horsepower, they should still have decent torque from idle, plenty of people report 30mpg without trying, and they have a manual transmission with the kind of gear ratios I like...how about a C4 for my next economy car! I bet I could average 35mpg in one.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD