hello all

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Re: hello all

Post by SteveUK »

I wouldn't say that a Vauxhall/Opel Astra was beautiful, but it's not that bad looking.

One thing about it though, it is the standard Police panda car here.
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2001 Saturn SL-1

Post by s4turn »

SteveUK wrote:I wouldn't say that a Vauxhall/Opel Astra was beautiful, but it's not that bad looking.

One thing about it though, it is the standard Police panda car here.
well that i do know, but you have to understand the Astra looks VERY different over here and extremely out of place and unique, aside from looking quite like the focus hatch there is no other car available here that I believe is truly European in design like the Astra.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

hockeystyx16 wrote:for 8 grand you can have anything you want
For less than that even. Both of my cars were under 8k. My Subie was 7k, and my Saab was 6K
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

Image i wouldnt waste money on an econopile if you got 8 grand. you can easily get an Ls1 car or a roundbody mustang GT or an earlier new edge GT if you look, and the list goes on and on. for 8 grand, get a car that you would enjoy being in, not some plastic econobox
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

s4turn wrote:well buying from a private seller would require me to privately sell my car because i cant trade it in :lol: but i was thinking bout that anyway. how do you deal with loans and such when selling your car privately? or buying one from a private seller? oh and wannabe i didnt realize long links bothered you that much :lol: ill keep that in mind for future posts :roll:
Always sell or buy cars privately, it'll save you tons of money. If you trade your car in you will never get the market value, the dealership has to make their profit so they'll lowball you like hell.

With private sellers, you have to have the money up front. Get a loan through your bank and hand the guy the cash. You can try and make a deal with the guy but most likely someone else will come along with cash in hand and drive away.
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter

Post by s4turn »

well how reliable is your saab? and how is it gas mileage wise? My dream car was a 9-5 back until my sister dumped the sl1 on me. i know it takes premium petrol. but my trip is gonna be about 500 miles round trip 5 times a year from cleveland to buffalo. i need a fun car, good mileage, and reliable. the mustangs are not too reliable ive heard. i was also looking at a 2002 oldsmobile aurora (northstar?) v8. 18 mpg city though but i like the body, interior, and reliability.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

My base 9-3 gets 27mpg mixed, with mixed spirited and sedate driving. On highways at cruising speeds of 75-80mph you can easily get over 33mpg. And it can run with no problem on 87 octane, just avoid WOT. I run 89 usually, though now that I have a paycheck I might get premium.

Saabs are incredibly reliable, and have the most comfortable seats of any car ever made, I believe even Clarkson agrees with that. Also, the online Saab support and tuning community is massive, bigger even that a lot of ricer communities. Most areas of the country also have a Saab club. I, for example, am in the New England Saab Association.
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter

Post by s4turn »

wow so i can buy one with 80000 miles (9-3 SE 2000) and be just as satisfied if i bought an 02 avalon XLE with the same miles or a '99 Solara? Ive just heard the GM fudged them over, and looking at carsurvey.org alot owners talk about its poor reliability. heres an example:

Serpentine belt broke at 47,000 miles.

Timing chain replaced at 47,000 miles.

Turbo replaced at 56,000 miles.

DI electronics replaced at 57,000 miles.

Balance chain replaced at 58,000 miles.

Water pump replaced with the balance chain.

Head gasket replaced with the balance chain.

i might go with a high end toyota, lexus, or acura with around 80K. I have a friend with a '98 Acura CL i believe with 150K Miles and the thing has never had a problem, also a nice car.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

nobody asked me for my opinion, but im a jerk so ill give it anyway. dont get some wrong wheel drive, get a proper car if you got 8 grand to spend

100 miles around you, uner 8 grand and under 100k miles

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... ardist=114 faux 5.0 cobra, but still very nice. terminator rims, gt40 intake, msd ignition, nitrous. 8 grand

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... cardist=22 4.6 NPI stang, at least you can have same rims as me :lol:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... page=thumb new edge GT here you go

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... page=thumb t3h LT1 Z28

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... page=thumb another LT1 Z28

if you look on more local sites (cleveland tuners, etc, craigslist) you can score tons of New edge GTs and LS1 cars. if you have 8 grand to spend on a car and end up with some pile like a civic or a camry you should drive it off a cliff with you in it
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

s4turn wrote:wow so i can buy one with 80000 miles (9-3 SE 2000) and be just as satisfied if i bought an 02 avalon XLE with the same miles or a '99 Solara? Ive just heard the GM fudged them over, and looking at carsurvey.org alot owners talk about its poor reliability.
Ah, thats your problem. In 2000, GM took over full ownership of Saab. The DIC (Direct Ignition Casette) is a common issue with every Saab, but its inexpensive and a DIY. So DIY in fact that its right on top of the engine secured by only four screws and a small wiring harness. Hell, mine went just a few months ago.

I actually recoment a 99 9-3 or a NG900. New generation 900s are fantastic cars. 2000+ Saabs need a bit more regular upkeep, but if theyre kept in good shape there should never be a problem.
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter

Post by s4turn »

ok ok i dont want a fight guys. thanks for your help i will look into those, im just not a mustang guy :wink:
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/

Search. I don't have a clue what kind of car you want.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

s4turn wrote:oh and wannabe i didnt realize long links bothered you that much :lol: ill keep that in mind for future posts :roll:

they put the page all out of whack, and i gotta scroll to the right to read the rest of the words...

and then i fugeddaboutit (reading the rest) and leave...:P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

s4turn wrote: I have a friend with a '98 Acura CL i believe with 150K Miles and the thing has never had a problem, also a nice car.
great car and very reliable. 160k+ on the clock here and still running strong. i abuse the hell out of it and the only repairs i have done is a clutch change at 155k and the normal belts/oil changes.

avoid the 3.0, although faster than the 2.2/2.3CL, the only available transmission for it is auto which has a defective design. v6 honda + auto tranny = failure.

the CL is not the fastest car around but can be made to look quite nice and somewhat quick (F series block is awesome for turbo, H22 is easily swappable [same mounts])

another great thing about it is that there aren't too many on the roads (at least around here) which is always good

good luck with your search
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter

Post by s4turn »

thanks for the help. Turns out the redesign of the Astra is happening in 2010, so I might wait and buy one on my way out of college. Also, if anyones interested, back when Saturn was "a different kind of company, a different kind of car" they manufactured all Saturn SL1, SL2, SW2, SC1, and SC2's in Spring Hill Tennessee. Turns out that that as of right now, with GM's restructuring and the falling dollar, all of the new 2010 Opel/Vauxhall/Saturn Astra production worldwide will move to the Spring Hill Plant. The GM plant was supposed to make the Traverse, a lambda based crossover SUV, there but with those sales even falling, GM seems to be trying to solidify Saturn as the premier small car brand in the US. Im very happy about this because it means that Saturn, which besides the poor GM quality of the car i have, is going to once again be reborn, and if you were ever a Saturn owner you know that feel good feeling. Hell, there used to be yearly homecomings where saturn owners would bring their cars to spring hill and eat hotdogs and talk with the people who built their cars. Just though id share that with you, because it seems to be very interesting in terms of the economy as well as the future of America car manufacturing.