New Member/Driver!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Re: New Member/Driver!

Post by Nychold »

Welcome aboard! Depending on how much you're looking for (price wise), you might want to consider a 2002-2004 Celica GTS. Yeah, it's a Toyota, but it at least has some attitude in it. 170 HP, 2800 lbs, 6 speed. The thing flies, compared to the everyday Toyota beaters (aside from the Corolla XRS, which is the exact same thing). And I don't know why people bagged on Honda so bad. They do have one good car for performance...the S2000. But those will be pretty expensive.

Can't vouch for Subaru, but people like them a lot around here.

Stay the hell away from Nissan though, especially their newer stuff. Just about every one of their newer engines has some kind of crankshaft/camshaft position sensor recall, and all they do is reprogram the ECU to 'cope' with it. You'll have to replace the actual sensor, at cost. :roll:

No matter what any of us say, though, test drive the car in an auto (if possible) to see if you like the way it handles. If you do, pick up the stick. It'll handle better. :D
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

welcome to the forums.

being that you're looking for a 4cyl car with good gas mileage that is somewhat sporty, make sure that you look into what kind of fuel it takes as well. you don't want to get raped at the pump.

when i think of performance, i definitely don't think of honda (aside from the nsx). some of the quicker, more affordable hondas with impressive handling that i can think of are the latest gen civic si and last gen prelude. they aren't the fastest when starting from 0 but once they get going, they're lots of fun

good luck with your search
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Nychold wrote:Stay the hell away from Nissan though, especially their newer stuff. Just about every one of their newer engines has some kind of crankshaft/camshaft position sensor recall, and all they do is reprogram the ECU to 'cope' with it. You'll have to replace the actual sensor, at cost. :roll:
Just the newer models, nothing against the 240SX, right? :P
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

In general most newer cars are crap... Toyota don't make the mr2 and supra nemore, Nissan pulled the 350z out of its ass after the awesome 300zx, honda well.... yea nsx i guess was ok :p, subaru... just look at the latest STi :? etc, etc... All the awesome cars are getting replaced by worse versions and good cars have been scraped so that the companies can pump out more econoboxes..
<3 fwd
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

And yet there are some brands getting better. Like Saab. Look at the new 9-3 and shoot yourself if you find it unattractive. The thing is a monster.
Granted I like the older ones better because theyre easier to moddify and work on, but thats not the point. Saab has always, and still continues to produce damn nice cars.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

hockeystyx16 wrote:thats below the belt dude
Seconded.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Soulwound
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Honda Civic Si, SSM

Post by Soulwound »

I'm going to be a counter-point to the Honda Haters of SS and say I absolutely love my 2004 Civic Si. I will say, though, all the other trim packages are pretty much craptacular.

Also, welcome to the insanity!