Hello, new member here, wanted to say hey!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
ntwknick01
Junior Standardshifter

Hello, new member here, wanted to say hey!

Post by ntwknick01 »

Well, I'm Nick and I just wanted to tell everyone about me and about my new car. Its been quite a journey to get this car, lemme tell you. Anyway, I just learned how to drive stick about 3 weeks ago. I'm still not very good at it (the whole getting rolling from first thing.), and you can definitely expect me to be asking a BUNCH of questions. Anyway, about 2 months ago, I crashed my first car. It was an auto 1997 civic, 51,000 miles on it. They totaled it. Just this past weekend we went and bought a new car...ANOTHER 97 Civic. This one is a coupe, standard, with an APC cold air intake, full catback exhaust, 17" rims, all that fun stuff. (I'll post pictures ASAP). Anyway, about 2 weeks ago my mom started e-mailing the person who was selling the car, Gordon. Eventually he told my mom that if we wanted to set up an appointment, we would have to talk to his mom in Halifax because that is where the car was. Right after that E-mail, my grandfather went into the hospital and we were not able to contact his mom. The friday after we recieved the E-mail, my mom DID call his mom. His mom told us some horrible news. Gordon had died on wednesday. He was in boston, riding his bike, and was clipped by a taxi, then run over by a cement truck. I dont know how his mother could go through that. She told us they might put it up for auction as a benefit for Gordon, but she would email us and let us know. This seemed to be the perfect car for me, and it was about to fly out the window. I definitely understood though, as my mother would have probably done the same thing, and I did not blame her at all. Well, she E-mailed us back, and said we could come look at it. We did. And now it is sitting in my yard. And I am pretty much ecstatic. :D
.....That kinda went longer than I wanted, but I had to tell that story to someone. Anyway, thanks for listening, and I'll make sure my next post is shorter :lol:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

Hey there, Nick. Good to have you aboard!
Damn. It's really unfortunate that the guy was killed... what a way to go. Well, at least his mother was still willing to sell to you.

Hope you enjoy the 'new' ride! Ask any questions!
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Re: Hello, new member here, wanted to say hey!

Post by Nychold »

ntwknick01 wrote:His mom told us some horrible news. Gordon had died on wednesday. He was in boston, riding his bike, and was clipped by a taxi, then run over by a cement truck.
:shock: Of all the ways to go... :(

Anyway, I'm glad you got a car you liked, and keep it up. Starting from first still bugs the crap out of me, but I've heard that, in time, you'll get it. ;)

Welcome aboard. :)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
magnus_1986
Master Standardshifter

Post by magnus_1986 »

Hey welcome to the site, Nick!

FIrst I used to start from 1st fro muscle memory and couldn't get perfect launches always because of the different engine temperatures, inclinations, desire for initial velocity and a whole lot of other facots...

Then I learned to clutch up till a little beyond the FP, appy a little bit of gas and then balance the gas pedal and the clutch as per the situation...

Hope that helped

EDITS: DOUBLE NINJA EDITS! HAIIIIII YAAAAA!
Do not try to find 3rd, for you may not always reach it. Just go up and let it reach you!
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Good to meet ya, Nick. Welcome to the site. :mrgreen:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar