Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Mikeys2k5
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Acura RSX-S

Post by Mikeys2k5 »

Well, I have been lurking around the SS forums for a while, and looks like a great resource for driving and cars (two things I love). I found it while searching a how to on driving a manual transmission, because unfortunately I had nobody I know to teach me. The videos were great, and the forum posts have also been helpful.

Recently, a good friend of mine came home from school and got a new car (2007 Toyota Corolla 5spd), and I did get some time in a large parking lot getting the hang of shifting.

So, now I think I am ready to take the plunge and purchase a car with a little more personality, aka a manual transmission. I currently drive a 2002 Acura RSX with an automatic transmission, and it has been good to me, takes corners well, but it is getting up their in miles and has its share of quirks.

Anyways, just wanted to share a bit about myself and say hello! I will probably post a ton of questions in the near future, so be prepared!
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

Welcome. A manual tranny will be a great update for your RSX.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

BRING ON THE QUESTIONS!!!

Post by potownrob »

Get a 5 speed RSX!!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Mikeys2k5
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mikeys2k5 »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I am considering a 6spd RSX-S as a possible car, as a friend of mine works at a dealership that has one in stock. They are asking way too much, but I know how much they have into it so I think I could talk them down a little. :twisted:

The thing is, I don't know if I want another RSX. They are great cars, pretty quick and very nice, but there are so many cars to choose from. I could get a low milage Mustang GT (02-04) for pretty cheap around here, so that is another one of my options. I could also go with a new Civic, which would be slower than an RSX-S or a Mustang, but would come with a full warrenty, and get insane gas milage.

I am not a ricer by any means either, the only mod I have on my RSX is an aftermarket armrest and an MP3 capable stereo. If I got an RSX-S, I doubt I would mod it any, because it has a better stereo already, and my armrest would just pop right in. As far as a mustang goes, I would probably leave it alone for a while too.

Decisions are hard :shock:
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

Dude trust me, I'm not saying the RSX is a good/bad car, But DON'T get the same car again. You don't get to own that many different cars in your lifetime, so spice it up a bit.

And Welcome to SS!
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I wouldn't recommend a mustang, unless you want to put some money in it to make it a worthy drivers car.

The v8 probably isn't as bad, but my V6 lacks in just about every area.

There are better cars you can get for the same money as a GT, that are just as fast, and handle even better. I'm not going to name any, as I may get flamed for one of my possible suggestions. :twisted:
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

eaglecatcher wrote:I wouldn't recommend a mustang, unless you want to put some money in it to make it a worthy drivers car.

The v8 probably isn't as bad, but my V6 lacks in just about every area.

There are better cars you can get for the same money as a GT, that are just as fast, and handle even better. I'm not going to name any, as I may get flamed for one of my possible suggestions. :twisted:

yes, you deffinatly wouldnt want to mention the Twin Turbo Nissan 300zx. that wouldnt go over very well... the whole Twin Turbo Nissan 300zx thing.
Badmojo
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Badmojo »

The RSX-S is nice, but used ones tend to be expensive because people associate Honda/Acura with reliability. You also have to be careful because the RSX is popular with the younger drivers - so they're more likely to have been driven hard.

You could really live life on the wild side... get a manual car with rear wheel drive!
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
Mikeys2k5
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mikeys2k5 »

Badmojo wrote:The RSX-S is nice, but used ones tend to be expensive because people associate Honda/Acura with reliability. You also have to be careful because the RSX is popular with the younger drivers - so they're more likely to have been driven hard.

You could really live life on the wild side... get a manual car with rear wheel drive!
Yeah, I have noticed that they tend to be a bit expensive. The good news, though, is that I know all the mods that people do to them, so I can look out for the signs that they have been modded if I decide on another RSX.

I would love a RWD car, but they seem to be non-existent these days, or only available in luxury sports cars. Any suggestions?
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

Mikeys2k5 wrote:I would love a RWD car, but they seem to be non-existent these days, or only available in luxury sports cars. Any suggestions?
How about an RX-8, S2000, or 350Z? The RX-8 should be comparable to the RSX-S
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
Badmojo
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Badmojo »

Yeah, Mazda overestimated demand for the RX-8, so you should be able to find one cheap. The gas mileage sucks though! :lol:

You could look at roadsters - MX-5, Solstice and Sky are RWD.

I think it depends what your priorities are: handling, straight-line performance, practicality, gas mileage, reliability, luxury, price, etc.
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
Mikeys2k5
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mikeys2k5 »

Badmojo wrote:Yeah, Mazda overestimated demand for the RX-8, so you should be able to find one cheap. The gas mileage sucks though! :lol:

You could look at roadsters - MX-5, Solstice and Sky are RWD.

I think it depends what your priorities are: handling, straight-line performance, practicality, gas mileage, reliability, luxury, price, etc.
I guess my priorities lie more with practicality and reliability, but I still want a little fun. I would love to have a 350z or Solstice, but those are all too expensive. Looks like to get the right mix of performance, reliability, and fun, I will be sticking with economy cars.

On top of that, my commute to school is going to go from about 10 minutes to 35 minutes next quarter, so gas mileage is a must, which probably rules out a mustang or RX-8.

A used RSX-S is sounding better and better, seems to have a good mix of fun, practicality, and reliability. I have not ruled out a new civic either, but I am still split on the looks.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i know i sound like a broken record when people ask for car recommendations, but what about a WRX? great performance and reliability, good practicality being a sedan, only draw back might be the gas mileage.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Mikeys2k5
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mikeys2k5 »

jomotopia wrote:i know i sound like a broken record when people ask for car recommendations, but what about a WRX? great performance and reliability, good practicality being a sedan, only draw back might be the gas mileage.
I don't know if I could afford one (gas, insurance wise). I am going test driving this weekend, and a local dealer has two nice off lease used WRX wagons in stock, one auto (which will probably be the ond I test drive) and one manual (the salesman would laugh at me :lol: ). What kind of gas milage do the WRX's get in real life (I think they are rated at around 22 city/ 28 highway, but the window sticker ratings are always off)

I am also still looking at an RSX Type-S, just because I am used to driving my auto RSX. The one I was looking at sold, but my friend took me out in it before it did, and that thing can move! I do not drive like he does, but he got it up to 90mph in no time, and it still had more in it. It suprised me how much power it made from a 2.0l engine. I would look for a newer (04+), one owner off lease one. I still see this as the most practical, if I can find the right one in excellent condition.

The other car I am still considering is a new Mazda3 with the 2.3 and the 5spd. I will try to test drive one of those soon too.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I am still looking at the new civics, but I will have to take a look at one up close. I still do not know if I am sold on the looks.