New, need help already!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
NoobWithCivic
Junior Standardshifter

New, need help already!

Post by NoobWithCivic »

Hi all. My names ernest and i come from SoCal. I enjoy driving and am still on my learners permit but ill be going for my driving test on the 19th. Wish me luck! Anyway, i drive a 1994 honda civic EX (its an auto though! :shock: ). Well the engine is getting to the point of dead so ill be getting a new engine soon along with a new tranny. Hopefully, it will be a 5 speed.

First, i wanted to know if there was any way to make paint looking like new(or at least close) when its starting to wear off and lost its polish. For some strange reason, half my car is like that. I wanted to know if there was a way to fix it and im willing to spend some money and time on it.

Also, i wanted some recommendations on engine conversions for my car. I've been looking at Honda b engines because of their displacement to hp ratio. If you guys have tried anything else on one of these, please tell me, i would like to hear. Thanks
hello
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :D i'm sure there are plenty of members that can help you with your questions.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
La Porta
Senior Standardshifter

Post by La Porta »

As far as the paint: if it is flaking off, and you are in SoCal...i'd suspect long days baking in the sun. Unfortunately there isn't all that much you can do about that...once the paint is toast, no amount of polishing, waxing, etc. will do any good.

As for the engine and trans...how much did you get this car for? You probably could have gotten one for the cost of the car + new engine + new trans that was better off to start. Just me 2 cents...

But welcome! Hope you do great on that road test :)
Before you get any ideas, i'm from NY...I don't have a southern accent.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I don't know the conditoin of your paint, but mine was faded because the person I bought it from took it to the airport all the time, so the sun baked outside several days a week.

if its coming off, not much you can do, but if its just faded, I suggest using a claybar, a polishing compound, and a good wax. along with washing, that will do wonders for your paint. You will spend a long time in order to do it right, but its well worth it.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NoobWithCivic
Junior Standardshifter

Post by NoobWithCivic »

thanks for the welcome guys. I think that its flaking. I don't really care much about the paint since i'll probably get a new paint job anyways.

I got the civic for about $1,800 so i don't know if i could've gotten a better deal since i got it from a guy i know. I still want some recommendations.

Also, i noticed i have a lot of calcium deposit on the windows and body. Any way to take that off? Thanks
hello
NoobWithCivic
Junior Standardshifter

Post by NoobWithCivic »

thanks paul. Ill try that out the next time i wash my car. It should be soon since it just rained.

Still no recommendations on an engine conversion? I guess ill just ask other parts of the forum.

Can anyone explain to me the differences in a coat of paint costing $400 and $1000? Im guessing quality but can you please advise me as to how?

TIA for your help to all my annoying questions.
hello
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

NoobWithCivic wrote:thanks paul. Ill try that out the next time i wash my car. It should be soon since it just rained.

Still no recommendations on an engine conversion? I guess ill just ask other parts of the forum.

Can anyone explain to me the differences in a coat of paint costing $400 and $1000? Im guessing quality but can you please advise me as to how?

TIA for your help to all my annoying questions.
A $400 paint job the people probably don't care as much about detail as the people that do the $1000+ paint jobs, examples : Taking off the doors to spray the door jams', Properly sanding down then priming and painting the car with multiple coats as well as clear coat, In general you don't want to paint on top of old paint just cause what ever is causing the paint to look bad (rust) is still underneath.

As for the engine, maybe a K20 crate w/ a 6 speed , im not sure really.