Official unofficial intro post

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Slicky
Junior Standardshifter

Official unofficial intro post

Post by Slicky »

Hi all. Im new to this board and the manual world as well. Currently driving a 'slushy'. First and current car. Great to learn on and has been reliable. Now that I've become well aquainted with driving, I'd like to try out, and eventually convert over to manual. From what I've heard and seen, they look very fun to drive. I've also gotten tired of having a boring vehicle, and want something that doesnt waste power and can make me look cooler 8) assuming I can find a decent one to begin with...no one ever lists cars as manual, but they'll always list auto on it =/ any search engines out there that just return you vehicles that are sticks only? :D
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

Welcome to the site. This should help. Put manual in the "optional search words" field. It's to the advanced search at cars.com.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

I don't know of any search engines, but really, the best way to find a good car is to get out there, and fight your way through the blood sucking leeches (aka car salesmen). Just tell them you're just looking, but if they could point you to some manual transmission cars, you'd appreciate it.

Searching online is nice because you can do it in the comfort of your own home, but like you said...it's hard to find manual cars. The keyword manual will find you all the cars with manual door locks, manual windows, and manual mirrors, standard is just an awful word, and 5 speed or 6 speed will return all the idiots who said "this car has some amazing speed" You're pretty much reduced to looking through every single entry for a manual, although Yahoo! autos does list whether it's a manual or automatic transmission.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :D there's a manual transmission buying guide on this site but it's a little out of date and might not be complete, but it will help you get started getting an idea of what cars are available in manual: http://www.standardshift.com/buyingguide.html

may i recommend a Subaru? :lol: 8)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Welcome to SS.com! :mrgreen:

Jomo covered the basics - ask away with those questions!

OT: Jomo - I was walking to class yesterday and heard a car coming up behind me. Without looking, I said to myself "that sounds like a a WRX, but not the STi."

I was dead on. :D
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

^^ nice. :D yeah that boxer rumble is nice and distinct.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange