Hi! A n00b here... On a learners permit

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
christian_piper
Junior Standardshifter

Hi! A n00b here... On a learners permit

Post by christian_piper »

Hi! I am 15, and have become extremely proficient at driving my parents slushies... Driving bores me, and sticks always looked fun, so my first car will be a stick. This June actually..

Anyway, I am 90% sure I am getting a 07 Civic Sedan Stick.. Cause the 06s USED are not much cheaper at all.. And if my parents will go for new car, who am I to complain?

Anyway, I love reading these forums, and decided to register. Hi!
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

Welcome to SS.com! Don't think it'll be all fun and candy the first few weeks.
christian_piper
Junior Standardshifter

I dont :shock: At least my parents used to drive sticks.. And my small group leader drives an 03 stick civic.. 8)

Yea.. At least Im gettin the car in the summer when I have TIME to learn.. 8)
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Welcome! And, not to pimp my own car, but for about the same price, you could also get a Scion tC, and I think you'd have more fun with it. ;) But either way, any stick is better than almost any auto. :)

Anyway, like Nervous said, be prepared for frustration, embarassment, and a little dash of paranoia. But it only lasts for a few weeks.

Enjoy the stick, when you get it!
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
frank723
Junior Standardshifter

Post by frank723 »

I just noticed that both the new civic and the scion tc are around 2900 pounds .. geez where did all the weight come from? I thought these were supposed to be sporty/economy sedans ...

It took me about a week to get good enough to drive on regular roads and another two weeks to get to the point where i can make smooth upshifts and rev matched downshifts and fast starts and all without much thinking

i guess what really helped is that i always knew what i was supposed to do, it was just a matter of getting the clutching right... so read up! learn how the transmission works, not just what it does - that is, the clutch, the flywheel, the different gears and how they mesh, synchros, etc ... and get a basic idea about torque.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
microchip13
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '94 Celica GT

Post by microchip13 »

Bienvinido.

Welcome.
Celica = Awesome.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

frank723 wrote:I just noticed that both the new civic and the scion tc are around 2900 pounds .. geez where did all the weight come from? I thought these were supposed to be sporty/economy sedans ...
you can blame health and safety for that.... although stronger materials are used now, I dont see where all the strength is going since in even teh smallest of accidents, most cars becomes pop cans.... If it was up to me, get rid of the airbags, use more carbon fiber (or carbon steel) (more stronger and lighter than steel/aluminum), and install full roll cages with 4point harnesses :lol:
Chadzilla
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Chadzilla »

I picked it up in a matter of days. What worked for me was, once you get the concept down, try and practice alone. That way you have no pressure of someone looking over your shoulder. That for me was the worst.
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L 5 spd
18x9 Black Saleen Rims
Cold Air Intake
Underdrive Pullies
Limo Tint
G4M3JUNKY
Senior Standardshifter

Post by G4M3JUNKY »

To the original poster:

Get a used car. You will appreciate it more and your parents wont have to worry about payments. and if you say you are paying for it, its not worth throwing away all your money into a car. just get a used car all paid for a drive it and finish college and when you get a real job then buy a new car. i got a new car (i paid for it with my own paychecks) and well i was tired of paying for it and so i had my parents pay for it but then i felt bad for them so i gave the car to my mom and got my used civic and i love it! well anyways thats what i think.
2002 Honda Civic LX Coupe
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Welcome to SS.com! :mrgreen:

Go used - you'll be happy you did. As a new driver, you're bound to bump a few things (everyone does, don't worry about it), and a used car will help "absorb" those bumps.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
christian_piper
Junior Standardshifter

Thank you all! I am lookin forward to this- And I am SURE you can help if I run into problems..

Civic why? Its a sedan..
G4M3JUNKY wrote:To the original poster:

Get a used car. You will appreciate it more and your parents wont have to worry about payments. and if you say you are paying for it, its not worth throwing away all your money into a car. just get a used car all paid for a drive it and finish college and when you get a real job then buy a new car. i got a new car (i paid for it with my own paychecks) and well i was tired of paying for it and so i had my parents pay for it but then i felt bad for them so i gave the car to my mom and got my used civic and i love it! well anyways thats what i think.
One thing. I have a slightly unusual situation- Invlolving an inheritance and a trust fund.. Of which $20,000 would be withdrawn for the car and the rest used for college...

And I AM a cautious driver- My parents basically sleep while I drive- my dad trusts me to drive him in his pacifica on the highway while he sleeps.. And I have over 120 hours.. I will be EXTRA careful with a new car too...

Yea. And my mom wants me to get an 05 or newer because of newer generation airbags... An 06 civic really doesnt save much at all....

Which is why Im gettin a new car :? Make sense? :)

If you have a good used car suggestion, that is as safe as a new civic, and actually saves money, I am very interested to hear it...
Last edited by christian_piper on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

still get a used car and put the rest of that 20000 away for college beer
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

$20k? Man, that's not going to buy much. The sticker may say $16k, but trust me, out the door, it's more like $22k.

I'd definitely look at used, and not to undermine your mom, but 05 or over will cost you almost the same as a new car. I'd look at something like a 2000-2002. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck, and still have money left over for repairs, upgrades, whatever. As as long as it wasn't beaten to a pulp, a 2000 should still run great.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
christian_piper
Junior Standardshifter

Nychold wrote:$20k? Man, that's not going to buy much. The sticker may say $16k, but trust me, out the door, it's more like $22k.

I'd definitely look at used, and not to undermine your mom, but 05 or over will cost you almost the same as a new car. I'd look at something like a 2000-2002. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck, and still have money left over for repairs, upgrades, whatever. As as long as it wasn't beaten to a pulp, a 2000 should still run great.
$20,000 is a nice round number... lol. And the 05 "limit" is my reasoning for a new car.. She wants me to have the side curtain airbags etc.. As I said, any non civic car suggestions in the 00-02 range? That are fairly safe?