Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
shottayute
Junior Standardshifter

Post by shottayute »

Hi i've been coming to this site a lot and i've been reading a lot of information about manual cars reading this information actually helped me 2 days ago when I was learning to drive a manual from my cousin in law i'm 14 years old and I live in FL and i get my permit in 4 months so i decided I wanted to learn how to drive a manual transmission before I actually start driving even though I first started driving when I was 8. But I just wanted to say that this is a great site and keep up the great work I usually check the site every week or sometimes a few times a week and I look forward to learning new information. :D
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

wow 14? man drivers are getting younger and younger :lol:

oh and welcome to the site
< N I C K >
Junior Standardshifter

Post by < N I C K > »

Welcome to the forum.

There is more to this forum than detailed info about manual transmissions. There are discussion about power'n torque and heaps of other things, it's great.

What age can you get your first licence in the States? I presume it may vary between states.
G4M3JUNKY
Senior Standardshifter

Post by G4M3JUNKY »

Sypher wrote:wow 14? man drivers are getting younger and younger :lol:

oh and welcome to the site
one there will be things like baby nascar and adolescent drifting!
2002 Honda Civic LX Coupe
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

i would say the P word, but i think hes too young :lol:
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Let's not go there this time, Paolo.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

< N I C K > wrote:What age can you get your first licence in the States? I presume it may vary between states.
i think it's the same for every state, 15 to get a learner's permit (have to have an adult, licensed driver in the passenger seat) and 16 to get the actual license. i could be wrong though, there may be some states that have a higher age limit.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

In NYC you have to be at least 16 to get a permit and be able to drive with an adult of 21 years or older.

Then you're allowed to take your road test. If you take your road test when you're before 18 years old, you'll get a "Juniors License" which will turn into a full License at 18. A Juniors LIcense is a lot like a permit, you still need an adult of 21 years in the car with you. When you're 18 you can drive alone.

I also think theres something stating that you have to be at least 18 years old to drive in Manhattan, no exceptions. Not sure on that one though.

Oh, and those who are really anxious to drive (like I was) can take a 4-month state certified DMV course and be able to get their full license a year early, at 17. Nobody ever is allowed to get a full license before 18 otherwise, even if coming from another state where the age is lower.
< N I C K >
Junior Standardshifter

Post by < N I C K > »

I think it's the same for every state, 15 to get a learner's permit (have to have an adult, licensed driver in the passenger seat) and 16 to get the actual license. i could be wrong though, there may be some states that have a higher age limit.
Sounds pretty much the same as in New Zealand. I've been driving since I was 15.
I also think there's something stating that you have to be at least 18 years old to drive in Manhattan, no exceptions. Not sure on that one though.
Who'd want to drive in Manhattan. I'd imagine it'd be chaos & not really the territory for a standard shift with a lot of grunt!
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Heh. I drive in manhattan all the time (mostly because I had a girlfriend in Manhattan). It's nothing special to me, but my friends are terrified of the city so whenever we drive in, I usually do the driving.
shottayute
Junior Standardshifter

Post by shottayute »

yea i heard there changing the law in new york again though I think they made it 17 this year to get your permit because they said a lot of teenage drivers are getting in to too many accidents
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

In massachusetts it's 16 to get permit (felt like I was 15 for about 8 years), then you can take the road test at 16.5, provided you've done ALL the hours of drivers ed class, driving instruction... ugh. You're issued a Junior Operator Licence, and basically you can't drive between 12AM and 5, and for the first 6 months you can't have anyone else in the car except licenced adults or immediate family. It's a bummer, or else I would be charging people for rides home :lol: $$$
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)