Hello Everyone!!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
-Zoso-
Junior Standardshifter

Hello Everyone!!

Post by -Zoso- »

First of all, hell of a nice site :D
Anyway, yeah I'm new to the forum and to stick, and I just got my beautiful 94 5spd 300zx about a week ago. Its killing me not knowing how to shift her perfectly though :x With a lot of reading on the site, I decided to spent a whole night practicing how to get her going on first, which is the hardest thing for me still right now, but when I do have her going, its pretty easy to shift up rather smooth, occasionnally I get a slight bump, but not much. It's that first gear that kills me!! lol. Thats pretty much all I have practice so far, and in this holiday weekend, since there is no school or work on monday, I'm gonna go another straight night, which helped me a lot the first time around.

Ohhhh man, only one week with the z and already had a couple emberrassing moments :oops: :oops: . The worst one being at a light waiting for the green, when this truck pulls in aside of me, revving, and slightly moving forward at the same time, I'm thinking, no way in hell I'm racing this guy. Light turns green, truck takes off, I step on the clutch, put it in first, let go of the clutch... and stall :oops: Ok, it's alright, so I stalled no big deal, turn on the z again and try it again, stall :x :x
Turn her on again, but this time the light turns yellow :cry: I'm stuck with the red again. Good thing it was pretty late, around 10 pm and there wasn't any cars behind us, just a couple of spectating cars on the crossing street, but non the less it sucked, like i said, first gear kills me!! Eventually I made it home, I just can't wait for the next night I go practice. After I get better, I'm gonna go practice on some hills.
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

Welcome to the site. I think my friend used to have the same car as you. Very nice car. Can't wait for pics though :D .

I started in Aug-06 and I find that light pressure on the gas, around double your idle RPMs, and a slow clutch lift works for me. It might be easier to start higher since you are still learning. Then when you get a better feel you'll start to launch at lower RPMs.

It actually took me a bit to get my launches I actually started with 2500 RPM lauches, with a 750 idle RPM. I had a heavy foot from driving an auto for 8 years heh. I now launch about 1200 RPM, most of the time. Sometimes 1500 - 2000 on accident. :?

I am sure there are a good amount of threads on launching. I am sure the more experienced people here will provide better info. :)
Last edited by Draklen on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Welcome to the site!

Paolo300zx and eaglecatcher will be all over you because of your car.
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

sick car, and don't worry we all have stories to tell
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

Welcome zoso... a Zeppelin fan I see 8)
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :D launching well and consistently was the hardest part for me, just takes practice.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Welcome to the site. A good tip that we all use here is watch the opposing lights. When they go yellow, and this is good for newbies, shift into 1st and start to find your friction point. By the time you find it, you should be able to go as your light goes green. Now as you get better, you will be able to delay your shifts into first. I now shift into first when the other lights go red and am able to get a good "head start" on everyone else as my light goes green
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

Don't worry about it, it gets better as time goes by ... I stalled today for the first time in 2 months, get this, GOING OVER A SPEED BUMP.

I came up to it in 2nd, almost stopped, put it in first and I was gonna crawl over it, slipping the clutch a bit, and bam, not enough gas, stalled right on the speedbump. :?
5 speed
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Hello Everyone!!

Post by 5 speed »

-Zoso- wrote:First of all, hell of a nice site :D
Anyway, yeah I'm new to the forum and to stick, and I just got my beautiful 94 5spd 300zx about a week ago. Its killing me not knowing how to shift her perfectly though :x With a lot of reading on the site, I decided to spent a whole night practicing how to get her going on first, which is the hardest thing for me still right now, but when I do have her going, its pretty easy to shift up rather smooth, occasionnally I get a slight bump, but not much. It's that first gear that kills me!! lol. Thats pretty much all I have practice so far, and in this holiday weekend, since there is no school or work on monday, I'm gonna go another straight night, which helped me a lot the first time around.

Ohhhh man, only one week with the z and already had a couple emberrassing moments :oops: :oops: . The worst one being at a light waiting for the green, when this truck pulls in aside of me, revving, and slightly moving forward at the same time, I'm thinking, no way in hell I'm racing this guy. Light turns green, truck takes off, I step on the clutch, put it in first, let go of the clutch... and stall :oops: Ok, it's alright, so I stalled no big deal, turn on the z again and try it again, stall :x :x
Turn her on again, but this time the light turns yellow :cry: I'm stuck with the red again. Good thing it was pretty late, around 10 pm and there wasn't any cars behind us, just a couple of spectating cars on the crossing street, but non the less it sucked, like i said, first gear kills me!! Eventually I made it home, I just can't wait for the next night I go practice. After I get better, I'm gonna go practice on some hills.
I was the same way when I learned. It does hurt your pride, then it clicks and your driving much better. Welcome.
I have turned to the Dark Side!!! (Stick Shift)
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

Welcome to the site my new... yet very good friend. My name is Paolo and i live in Vancouver Canada. I own a 1990 Silver 300zx TT. is yours a TT? the 300zx has (by far) the hardest clutch i have ever driven... so dont worry, you'll get the hang of it. anyways... if you have anyother questions please feel free to PM me on contact me Via msn TTZD44@hotmail.com

(look guys i didnt say penis once :D ... thinks for a few seconds... DAMN! :( )
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

Paolo, you forgot to give your phone and street address dude. :P
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

Hatchman wrote:Paolo, you forgot to give your phone and street address dude. :P

my mommy always told me to never give my information to strangers :lol:
-Zoso-
Junior Standardshifter

Post by -Zoso- »

lol

My Z is simple, 94 2+2 NA, but I love her, she only has 55 K miles on her.
I'll try getting some pics later on.

Hard clutch? I wouldn't know, it's the first stick I drive. :D
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I'm officially uber jealous of you. I wanted one of those cars sooo freaking bad, but my dad said the rear visibility was just too bad.

Is it an NA or a TT?

either way, still an uber cool car.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

eaglecatcher wrote: my dad said the rear visibility was just too bad.
Tell him for the amount of time you'll be reversing compared to total driving time, you should be alright. :lol:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar