hey guys~!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Aquiles
Senior Standardshifter

hey guys~!

Post by Aquiles »

hey standard shifters, just wanted to introduce myself.

a short history of me driving stick: i learned it back in driving school, right after my HS graduation; my practice car was a honda civic, 1994 model i think? but i was too lazy to practice it (i enjoyed public transportation :P), and so all those lessons were forgotten.

then i moved here in the states, and i have to start working, so time for me to "re-learn" some driving (not til i was in my 20's.. what a late bloomer :shock: ). first car i drove is a '02 Ford Mustang V6, and its an automatic. my dad bought that car for me, and i asked him more than once "why did you buy an automatic?", and he'd say "because you didnt practice driving". the car was great, decent power and torque, but the suspension sucks :twisted: .

so i saved some cash, and i bought my first manual car: my current 2002 Subaru WRX Impreza. I'd say that from day one till now, me and my car have this love-hate relationship; sometimes it wont do the things i wanted it to do, other times she cooperates (.. im pretty sure its all in my head, and my untrained left foot :oops: ). i really wanted to learn how to drive stick again, so i browsed around the Net and i came upon your forums. Everybody here seems cool and knowledgable, so after 3 days of lurking, i've decided to join up.

final story: after going home from work me and my dad were in the middle of a snow storm last year. we stepped out of the building, and he asked me: "you want to drive?". i've been practicing for the past 5 months or so, and i wanted to put myself to the test, so i said, "hmm sure." i took the keys, slipped in my initial D cd, and we're off.

it was pretty decent night, although 1st -> 2nd gear is kind of tough, i.e. it wont take 2nd gear immediately. im guessing its because of the cold climate, so what we usually do is:
-from 1st gear, press clutch
-release clutch
-throttle blip
-press clutch
-slip into 2nd gear
-release clutch

full stop intersection, and we have to do a left turn. anticipating the green light, i went in 1st gear, blipped the gas for a bit, then when the light went green, i released the clutch and pressed the accel. as i made my turn, i felt my rear slipping to the side, but its still under control, so i decided to have some fun.. i revved the engine to 2800, then 2nd gear, catching 2000 rpm. still sliding, so i shifted to third at 3000, then 4th gear. When i got to 5th gear, im sliding my rear a bit, but i managed control by putting some counter steer. i didnt mash my accel, just let the engine run at its maintained speed and RPM. when we finally have to take a straight, i released the gas fully, and the car corrected itself. i was grinning like an idiot the rest of the way. :twisted:

2 days later, my dad told me that the next time my car slides dont panic, and just do what he tells me. i told him, "dad, i slid that night on purpose." and he goes, "oh, ok~!"

btw, all of this happened at 3am in the morning, so there's virtually no traffic from any direction.

ok this must be the longest introduction here, so have fun guys~!
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

Welcome aboard 8)
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome! :D woot for WRX! go bugeye. :D

1-2 shift in these cars can be a bit tricky. it sounds like you said you're double clutching the upshift, but i'm wondering why you're blipping the throttle on an upshift? are you actually blipping it or are you just adding some gas as you bring up the clutch in 2nd gear? blipping and causing the revs to actually raise isn't what you want to do on an upshift, that's for downshifts.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Great car, great member! Welcome aboard! :mrgreen:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

jomotopia wrote:welcome! :D woot for WRX! go bugeye. :D

1-2 shift in these cars can be a bit tricky. it sounds like you said you're double clutching the upshift, but i'm wondering why you're blipping the throttle on an upshift? are you actually blipping it or are you just adding some gas as you bring up the clutch in 2nd gear? blipping and causing the revs to actually raise isn't what you want to do on an upshift, that's for downshifts.
maybe he's going really slow and by the time he drops the shifter down into second, he needs to rev-match into 2nd because the car is going at a constant speed but his revs are low because the clutch is engaged

that's the only reason i could think of

EDIT: welcome to the forum!
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Aquiles
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Aquiles »

thanks for the welcome~! :o
maybe he's going really slow and by the time he drops the shifter down into second, he needs to rev-match into 2nd because the car is going at a constant speed but his revs are low because the clutch is engaged
yeah thats pretty much it, since im going really slow and my 2nd wont go in. i release my clutch, and coast along while i blip the gas. the only reason i didnt call it as 'double clutching' is because the whole process is REALLY slow :lol:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

ah well there you go, gotta speed up that 1-2 shift. may be tricky to engage when cold, i know mine is, but i gotta get in gear and off the clutch very quickly or the revs drop too low and i almost always end up having to support the revs with the gas (but not blip). you probably have a little more time than me b/c my gears are closer together. don't worry though, you'll get the hang of it.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange