New NC 6-speed Driver

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Smith
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Smith »

Cool. I drive an '06 Matrix XR, 5 speed. I've heard the XRS has a higher redline
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

03MatrixXRS wrote:
scion_xA_gf wrote:hey, welcome! nice to have another girl aboard :-D
Hey, cool beans!

i know...except for the fact i drive auto...but i know how to drive stick...so i stick around.

there are a few other girls on here...they haven't been around lately
tobigooddog,
ironichumour
missesm
and a few otheres i forgot about :oops:
03MatrixXRS
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 03MatrixXRS »

jomotopia wrote:
03MatrixXRS wrote:Yeah, the premium gas was something I overlooked (unintentionally) while being so glad to have an import. I'm hoping the manual will make a difference in gas $$$?
a manual's fuel economy all depends on how you drive it. you can definitely eek out better mpg than an auto, but you could also burn a ton more gas if you rev it up a lot and cruise around at high rpms.

what kind of mileage does the xRS get? our xR gets good mileage but i'm not sure the numbers and it takes regular. just look at it this way though, at least you're spending less on gas than me. :lol: i avg 18mpg, require premium, and like to run the gears up to redline at WOT. :twisted:
The XRS is said to get something like 25 city/29 hwy, but I've read different numbers. I also believe I will become one who will rev it up before I learn not to. :roll:
03MatrixXRS
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 03MatrixXRS »

dklkse wrote:One cool thing about high-revving engines like the Toyota Celica/XRS engine is that you can choose to cruise around in low RPMs as a regular 4-banger, garnering decent MPG, I would imagine. 8)
(here's where I show my je n'sais crois) now, what exactly do you mean? :lol:
03MatrixXRS
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 03MatrixXRS »

Smith wrote:Cool. I drive an '06 Matrix XR, 5 speed. I've heard the XRS has a higher redline
Yeah, that's what my husband said about the redline (I guess being around 8100 as opposed to 6000 or something?) Though I have no idea what that means. Is that the long, solid red line at the top of the tachometer?
Give me a few days----I'll be much more educated at all this :lol:
03MatrixXRS
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 03MatrixXRS »

scion_xA_gf wrote:
03MatrixXRS wrote:
scion_xA_gf wrote:hey, welcome! nice to have another girl aboard :-D
Hey, cool beans!

i know...except for the fact i drive auto...but i know how to drive stick...so i stick around.

there are a few other girls on here...they haven't been around lately
tobigooddog,
ironichumour
missesm
and a few otheres i forgot about :oops:
Thanks. I'm digging your avatars, by the way!
03MatrixXRS
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 03MatrixXRS »

jory543 wrote:sweet ride, those are pretty nice cars. You can definately get better mileage out of a manual, but that requires shifting at low RPM's and taking it easy. When I shift at 2000-2500 RPM's and accelerate slowly the ride is much smoother and I get 25-30 MPG, and thats with a V6 so its not bad at all. When I drive spiritedly like accelerating crazy fast and shifting at 5-6k then I get about 18mpg. Your economy depends on how you drive it obviously.
Wow. Thanks for the info! Man, I'm so glad I found the info on this board!
I remember spending $38 to fill the tank up (13.2), and didn't have to refill it for nearly 2 weeks. From what I'm used to driving, I was shocked.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

03MatrixXRS wrote:
Smith wrote:Cool. I drive an '06 Matrix XR, 5 speed. I've heard the XRS has a higher redline
Yeah, that's what my husband said about the redline (I guess being around 8100 as opposed to 6000 or something?) Though I have no idea what that means. Is that the long, solid red line at the top of the tachometer?
Yep, pretty much. Redline is where the red zone starts, actually. That's why it's a number (8100 RPMs) versus a range. I believe it's a warning to the driver, to let them know the engine is being pushed harder than it was intended to, but the other guys here probably know more about it than I. :)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
03MatrixXRS
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 03MatrixXRS »

Nychold wrote:
03MatrixXRS wrote:
Yep, pretty much. Redline is where the red zone starts, actually. That's why it's a number (8100 RPMs) versus a range. I believe it's a warning to the driver, to let them know the engine is being pushed harder than it was intended to, but the other guys here probably know more about it than I. :)
ahh, thanks.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Smith - what's your impression of the XR? I'm considering getting a 2005 2WD 5-speed, any thoughts?
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

03MatrixXRS wrote:
dklkse wrote:One cool thing about high-revving engines like the Toyota Celica/XRS engine is that you can choose to cruise around in low RPMs as a regular 4-banger, garnering decent MPG, I would imagine. 8)
(here's where I show my je n'sais crois) now, what exactly do you mean? :lol:
Well, jomo basically covered it. With an engine like yours, you need to rev high (ie shift at higher RPMs) if you want to feel it's real power. However, it would be much more likely to soak up gas if you did it all the time.
The neat thing about an engine like that, is that since it's a 4-banger all the same, you should still get pretty good gas mileage if you shift at lower RPMs. It's a two-facer of an engine, I guess you could say.

And as for redline, you can get close, but try not to actually shift there a lot. Your max hp is at 7600rpm, so I would say try not to go higher than that when driving spiritedly.
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

Johnf514 wrote:
Smith - what's your impression of the XR? I'm considering getting a 2005 2WD 5-speed, any thoughts?
**coughcoughmazda3hatchcough**

Ahem. Excuse me. :oops:
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

ah we have a XRS matrix driver I see :D Those are great cars! They're fast yet practical being a wagon. Say, does th XRS Matrix have folable back seats or are they fixed? Reason I ask is because teh XRS Corolla has a fixed back seat to increase body rigidity
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

dklkse wrote: **coughcoughmazda3hatchcough**
Just exploring my options. I do like the 3 hatch much better in terms of styling and power, but I like the XR in terms of economy and reliability.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

Johnf514 wrote:
dklkse wrote: **coughcoughmazda3hatchcough**
Just exploring my options. I do like the 3 hatch much better in terms of styling and power, but I like the XR in terms of economy and reliability.
I hear ya. Sometimes I can't help but throw in a plug. :wink: