hey, new here

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

hey, new here

Post by Coupe31705 »

Hey, i'm going to be driving in under a year...and now might be a good time to buy the car...my parents are paying for it...mainly my mom, wich is great :D but, mom says no MT.

I'm getting a better car than i deserve either way...but her main concern on MT isnt whether i'll b safe or not, she thinks that she might have to drive it at some point. She has only driven a MT car once or twice before, and she hated it.

How can i convince her she'll love it as much as me??...(off topic)-and how do i put up an avatar?
Wanna give me insurance $$$?
ToyotaGuy88
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ToyotaGuy88 »

Have you tried telling her that they are better on gas that autos? Also tell her that MT drivers pay more attention to the road that AT drivers. Umm I cant really think of much else but im sure some of the others can come up with wonderful excuses for you to own a MT. :D Oh yeah and welcome to the site! :D
1989 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 V6 5spd Stock
236,000+ miles 150hp 180ft-lbs 4x4
Lift kit and 31's soon!!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D

if your mom hates MT b/c she doesn't really know how to drive it well/properly, you can tell her to look at it as a chance for you guys to learn something new together, and discover how much fun driving stick really is. but some people can't be convinced, and just be glad you're getting a car either way ;)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Re: hey, new here

Post by Prodigal Son »

Coupe31705 wrote:How can i convince her she'll love it as much as me??...(off topic)-and how do i put up an avatar?
I'm not sure that you can. You could try persuading her that it would be good for her. Maintaining physical agility is important to maintaining physical health and mental agility. In a world where machines increasingly do everything for us, the opportunities we have to maintain physical skills during the our busy days are increasingly few and far between. Driving a manual transmission gives you the opportunity to practice and maintain your physical and mental agility while driving -- something you have to do anyway.

Of course, not knowing your mother it is impossible to guess if that will make any impression on her. But it mught be worth a try.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Coupe31705 »

Well...she might go for the fact that you have to use two hands (i.e. no phone)...but i dont know what she'll say...i might have AT...but its fine since its free :) minus gas+insurance of course
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Manuals make you concentrate more on the road. With an automatic, you feel as if you're just along for the ride. All you have to do is push one pedal, and the car starts moving. With a manual, you have to keep your eyes wide open, and anticipate things.

This has been stated quite often: automatics are about reaction, and manuals are about anticipation. If you're anticipating an accident instead of reacting to it, you're much more likely to be able to avoid it in time.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I'm having the same problem, I've been working on my parents, havent gotten anywhere really, because they don't want to talk about a car with me, let alone let me drive, but just don't be too pushy, or she will lock up and there will be no chance.
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Coupe31705 »

eaglecatcher wrote:but just don't be too pushy, or she will lock up and there will be no chance.
yea...she does that...i'll explain the anticipation thing screenname, it might help
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

good luck, I hope it goes better for you than its goin for me right now.
ptcroozer
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ptcroozer »

lol when I was looking for my first car, my dad, who likes manual shifts, warned me against getting one because his mechanic friend told him that the expense of replacing a clutch was excessive. I still wanted to get one and was pretty psyched from having been a longtime lurker of this site. But I didn't have money and needed a car to get to work, so I took the slushie that my dad's mechanic friend had for sale.

Then after about 1/2 year, the tranny completely died. Even before it died it was the worst part of the car.

With the stick, you have reliability working in your favor. If you are looking at older cars, this is a big +.

$post_count += 1;
this is my regularly scheduled monthly post.
midgetkiller
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: rx8

Post by midgetkiller »

ptcroozer wrote:lol when I was looking for my first car, my dad, who likes manual shifts, warned me against getting one because his mechanic friend told him that the expense of replacing a clutch was excessive. I still wanted to get one and was pretty psyched from having been a longtime lurker of this site. But I didn't have money and needed a car to get to work, so I took the slushie that my dad's mechanic friend had for sale.

Then after about 1/2 year, the tranny completely died. Even before it died it was the worst part of the car.

With the stick, you have reliability working in your favor. If you are looking at older cars, this is a big +.

$post_count += 1;
Ive always thought that a maunal would be cheaper in every way and that the expense of replacing a clutch wasn't a very big deal when you consider the time and price difference in MT and AT
Last edited by midgetkiller on Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

yeah, except that you have to replace clutch plates and junk, and sometimes other part depending on how hard you are on the tranny etc.
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Coupe31705 »

This car might possibly need to last for 7+ years, and by the time i let it go i'll be up there on miles...which makes me wonder...do torque converters wear? MT clutches need to be replaced eventually, is there a slushy counterpart that needs to be replaced about as often? :?:
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

uhhh, I know that if they are not well kept and maintained/serviced on schedule, you will have to put a whole new tranny in, and that is certainly much more expensive than a clutch every couple years.
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Coupe31705 »

eaglecatcher wrote:uhhh, I know that if they are not well kept and maintained/serviced on schedule, you will have to put a whole new tranny in, and that is certainly much more expensive than a clutch every couple years.
Thats true...but im the kind of person to take care of my car/get it serviced on schedule...any car breaks somewhere if u treat it like crap