New guy here!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

papyrus wrote:
dklkse wrote:
Johnf514 wrote: Interesting . . .
Nah, there's no 'special' tool needed. The procedure just incorporates normal tools that you wouldn't normally have to use for DIY oil changes... Sorry, I don't know the specifics off hand.
Hmmm. That's what I was told. Maybe they didn't want to explain it further.
Who told you? The dealer 'techs'? If so, they probably wanted you to believe that, so that you would have to keep coming to them for your oil changes.
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

The MZR2.3 uses a cartridge type oil-filter, requiring a 6mm or 6.5mm allen key and a 76mm 14-notch oil-filter socket to remove. Mazda makes a conversion kit to convert to standard "spin-on" oil filters, saving you time and trouble by allowing you to use your oil filter of choice. However, according to some, it may void your warranty. It doesn't matter though. The cartridge type filter isn't that much more work to change.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

six wrote:The MZR2.3 uses a cartridge type oil-filter, requiring a 6mm or 6.5mm allen key and a 76mm 14-notch oil-filter socket to remove. Mazda makes a conversion kit to convert to standard "spin-on" oil filters, saving you time and trouble by allowing you to use your oil filter of choice. However, according to some, it may void your warranty. It doesn't matter though. The cartridge type filter isn't that much more work to change.
Cool. I was hoping there'd be a Mazda tech around to help out on this.
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
papyrus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Mazda3

Post by papyrus »

dklkse wrote:Who told you? The dealer 'techs'? If so, they probably wanted you to believe that, so that you would have to keep coming to them for your oil changes.
Actually it was someone at Valvoline - I was out of town when my car was due for its first oil change so my boyfriend took it there and that is what they told him. We both thought it sounded a little cracked, but like I said, I never looked any further than that...just sucked it up and took it to Mazda.
from now on, we'll take 'here' to mean 'here i am, rock you like a hurricane.' mooninites ftw!
papyrus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Mazda3

Post by papyrus »

So are those tools hard to come by? Why wouldn't a place like Valvoline have it? (my ignorance is blinding, isn't it? 8) )
from now on, we'll take 'here' to mean 'here i am, rock you like a hurricane.' mooninites ftw!
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

six wrote:The MZR2.3 uses a cartridge type oil-filter, requiring a 6mm or 6.5mm allen key and a 76mm 14-notch oil-filter socket to remove. Mazda makes a conversion kit to convert to standard "spin-on" oil filters, saving you time and trouble by allowing you to use your oil filter of choice. However, according to some, it may void your warranty. It doesn't matter though. The cartridge type filter isn't that much more work to change.
Yea I was just about to post this. You know where to find those tools and how much they cost? ALlso how much does a replacement cartridge cost? My cousin's thinking of doing his own oil changes on his 6.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

A replacement cartridge costs around $5-$10 depending on the dealer. Purolator also makes a cartridge filter for the MZR2.3, part number L15505. Around $6, I think. As for the tools, I don't know.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT