Returning to the fold

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Returning to the fold

Post by Prodigal Son »

Just joined. My story with standard shifts:

First four cars were standards -- Chevy Vega, Dodge Colt, Toyota Corolla, Saturn SL. Then ten years in a automatic. I had come to think that I hated driving. Time for a new car though, and just as I was nearing the end of my search, I was asked to drive a friend's car. Said yes before I even looked at the shifter. Sat down in the driver's seat. Looked at the knob. Thought -- I wonder if I still know how to do this? Well, I over-revved the launch the first few times (better that than stall it!), but the rest all came back. Even found that my feet still knew how to double clutch after ten years (loaded car, small engine, hilly road -- necessary skill!). And I enjoyed myself.

So next week back the the VW dealer. I had already at least three different combinations of Jetta, but they happily set me up with a manual 5 and a tiptronic 6 and I drove both of them -- admired the tiptronic as a piece of technology -- bought the manual.

Been driving it for a month now and have adjusted to the fact the the 2.5 five cylinder will happily shift at much lower revs than the four-bangers I drove before.

So, the user name says it all, a prodigal son returns to the fold.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

Glad to have you on board, welcome to standardshift! Hell, i wouldnt have even test drove the "auto", i woulda went straight for the MT. heh 8). its good to know that you remembered the how to's and it all came back to you.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D glad you have returned from the dark side ;)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Welcome back to the team!
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Good choice ;) . Welcome aboard!

Which area of Ottawa might I add (Its alwys great to see another one from Ottawa... hear that Torontonians, we're catching up!)