1st timer shifter

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

1st timer shifter

Post by Mealfits »

Hello everyone. 1st of all let me say THANK GOD THIS Website is on the web. I'm a 1st time shifter....i just bought a honda civic LX and its a stick. I've been pretty good at shifting from 1 to 2 but having problems on everythin else. I have difficulties backin up out the driveway (it just sits there...even when i'm pushin the gas) it ussually takes me 2-3 tries.... my next problem is shifting to 3rd gear...it's like i cant find the damn thing!!!! i'll be drivin smooothly then i'll shift to 3rd sometimes and it wont go in...i know its not da car, its just that sometimes i'm not sure if its in gear lol....ok and last but not least.....going from a complete stop to pullin of smoothly...i was completly embarressed today when i was stuck at a stop sign for 3 whole minutes with 3 cars waiting on me lol....i need to be decent at this at least with the next 8 days cuz i gotta go to college in Boca Raton....HELP!!!!! lol
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

1. is the driveway at an angle or what? lets say its flat ground, reverse comes at you pretty quick so all you have to do really is feather the clutch at friction point and below adding a little gas if needed. you can simply modulate the clutch to get the car going backwards and use your right foot on the brake to slow down/stop.

2. when you shift into third from second gear all you have to do is push up and let the springs do the rest.

3. not really sure what your method of launching is but for beginners use the no-gas method at first to be familiar with your friction point. once you know where the FP is at practice getting the clutch to the FP and holding it for a split second as the car starts to creep forward while adding gas and letting up completely off the clutch.

the other method of launching would be to rev up (1000-1.5K more than enough) and at the same time holding the clutch at FP for a split second then add more gas and let off clutch in a very balanced and fluid motion.

oh and welcome to site! good luck
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Welcome to the boards. Good choice of a learning car. I have a 01' too. What year's your's?

It is good htat you have the 1-2 shift down since that is one of the most difficult shifts. To back out of your driveway, just shift into reverse and let the clutch out to the friction point. To ack out of the driveway, there is no need to fully release the clutch. Just modulate your speed by bringing the clutch to the friction point, then back out again. Rise and repeat until you're out.

To shift into 3rd gear, it is very simple. DO NOT wrap your fingers around the shifter for this shift. Simply use the palm on your hand and apply a slight upwards presure on the stick. The stick will naturally center itself and go into 3rd. Just give it a try ;)

And it seems like you have already experience the embarassment of stalling. Don't let it get to you. This happen to all of us at some point. What you should do is take a couple hours out of your day, go to an empty parking lot, and do nothing but no gas starts. This excersise will help you master your friction point. What you do is just release the clutch out to the friction point. When you feel the car start to vibrate, and the engine rpm start to dip, hold the clutch there. THe car wills tart moving by itself. After you got the friction point down, try bringing the clutch to the friction point again, but this time add a bit of gas (1000-1300rpm) as you are at the friction point. Now slowly release the rest of the clutch. You will notice it will be alot easier to get moving.

Good luck with your progress, and remember, we are here for ya'. Feel free to post up any more question, concerns, compliments, and stories. We won't bite ;)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: 1st timer shifter

Post by potownrob »

Mealfits wrote:Hello everyone. 1st of all let me say THANK GOD THIS Website is on the web. I'm a 1st time shifter....i just bought a honda civic LX and its a stick.
What year did you get? You picked a good car there, especially for gas mileage and reliability. Hondas are also easy to learn on.
I've been pretty good at shifting from 1 to 2 but having problems on everythin else. I have difficulties backin up out the driveway (it just sits there...even when i'm pushin the gas) it ussually takes me 2-3 tries....
Glad you're okay with the 1-2; that's not the easiest shift, to say the least... Reverse is a weird gear. You should still be able to let the clutch out to the friction point (point in clutch travel where the clutch grabs the engine and the rpms start to drop down) and then rest you right foot on the gas with slight pressure and then let out the clutch a drop more and then put a little more pressure on the gas. by now the car should be moving at least a little. if it isn't yet the engine is still running ( :lol: ), you have to let the clutch out a little more while keeping on the gas (this is for uphill, right?). at a certain point in the clutch travel not far from where you now are, the car should start to move pretty quickly back up the hill as long as you stay on the gas. You won't need as much gas for backing up on flat terrain, though. once you're toward the top of the driveway or otherwise need to slow down or control your speed, come off the gas and then push the clutch in and control the speed the car moves with the brake (light touches are key, as with all pedals). let out the clutch to the friction point again if you need to speed up. it'll take some time to get it all down, but it'll all come together one day.
my next problem is shifting to 3rd gear...it's like i cant find the damn thing!!!! i'll be drivin smooothly then i'll shift to 3rd sometimes and it wont go in...i know its not da car, its just that sometimes i'm not sure if its in gear lol....
okay, shifting to third is all about guiding the shifter straight up (forward) into the front middle gate. don't hold the shifter firmly, just push it forward with your palm. if you have a problem with this, do it in two small pushes: push gently so the shifter pops into neutral, and then push gently forward to get the shifter into the gate for 3rd gear. if it's grinding, you may want to try double clutching into 3rd. try the other two techniques and then come back if it's still a problem or if it's grinding, and we'll tell you how to double clutch :twisted: .
ok and last but not least.....going from a complete stop to pullin of smoothly...i was completly embarressed today when i was stuck at a stop sign for 3 whole minutes with 3 cars waiting on me lol....i need to be decent at this at least with the next 8 days cuz i gotta go to college in Boca Raton....HELP!!!!! lol
this just takes time and practice. aside from practicing in secluded areas or late at night/early in the morning, i recommend finding a secluded parking lot and doing nothing but no-gas starts in 1st and reverse (especially first if you need to be on the road right away). All no-gas starts are are starting without adding any gas. clutch into first (or reverse - but don't forget to push the clutch back in once you're moving if you start in reverse since it's a very jumpy gear), let out the clutch to the friction point and hold, let out the clutch very slowly and then, once the car is moving smoothly, let the clutch out all the way. you'll get quicker at this with practice. this is how i started teaching the girl who bought my old civic. she did a good 2 hours of no-gas starts before even seeing a road. i think it paid off since she had very few problems with stalling after that. once you get down the no-gas starts, it's cake to add gas on starts. it makes starts quicker since you can let out the clutch faster.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

I got a 98...(i know it's old, but it runs, sounds,looks and feels great)....i have a question..what is friction point? (also, u guys are awesome, i didnt think i would get this many helpful replies this fast)
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how much of your hands do you have left lol..........

:lol:

I have the car below, and i can say that i may be a loyal honda owner for life. I love the cars they run good and with proper maintance they will run for many years. You have made a great choice in car you wont regret it, you will never regret learning to drive a stick.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D and +1 to what everybody else said.

the friction point is, IMO (and probably many other's) THE most imporatant part of driving a manual. it is where the clutch begins to engage with the flywheel. check out this thread for definitions of all the terms and stuff we use around here.

you will love driving stick. and don't worry if it takes you a while to get those starts down good, it's probably the most difficult part of driving stick to do well and consistently. i've had my car a little over 3 months, and while i almost never stall anymore, i still mess up at least a few launches per day, either by over-revving or almost stalling.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

Ok cool...thanx everyone.....I will totally keep u guys posted on my progress. I'm so happy i found this site because before speaking to u guys i was gettin reeeeaaaallly discouraged....now i feel like i gotta grip....also ur right the Honda is a great car, it runs really smooth (when i'm not stallin lol)....by the way the link with the terms was really helpful...i still got sum stuff to learn about reving and the flywheel...also one more question, if my car is parked on an incline do i just start it, put it in reverse and slowly release tha clutch without using any gas and it should go smoothly?
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

if it's parked on an incline where down is the way you want to go, you can just let gravity do the work ;) but when reversing down hill it's a good idea to still be in reverse, even if you are holding the clutch in (for a short period of time, too long will wear the throw out bearing) so that your reverse lights are on notifying others (believe, there are ppl too stupid to realize you are reversing just b/c your car is rolling backwards :roll:).

but yeah in general if you are reversing just slowly letting out the clutch should get you going. i almost never fully engage the clutch in reverse unless i'm reversing UPhill, which i haven't done very often so i still have issues with it.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

jomotopia wrote:if it's parked on an incline where down is the way you want to go, you can just let gravity do the work ;) but when reversing down hill it's a good idea to still be in reverse, even if you are holding the clutch in (for a short period of time, too long will wear the throw out bearing) so that your reverse lights are on notifying others (believe, there are ppl too stupid to realize you are reversing just b/c your car is rolling backwards :roll:).

but yeah in general if you are reversing just slowly letting out the clutch should get you going. i almost never fully engage the clutch in reverse unless i'm reversing UPhill, which i haven't done very often so i still have issues with it.
+1
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

okay today i did pretty well...thank u on the great advice about shiftin to 3rd, it worked perfectly, all i did was push it a little and it went right into gear! The only problem i have is reversing and having a smooth pull off from a complete stop....as far as reverse goes i've been tryin but its like the car just sits there...next thing is again takin off from a complete stop...i barely stall anymore but maaaan am i sloooooow lol
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

at least you're not stalling much anymore ;) you will get faster with time and practice.

now i don't really understand what you mean about the car just sits there when you try to reverse. first, are you reversing uphill, on level ground, or downhill? second, are you sure you're in reverse and not neutral? some cars have a reverse lockout where you have to do something special to get into reverse (like on mine there's a collar i have to lift). third, are you releasing the clutch to and/or past the friction point?
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

ummm i'm reversing downhill.....i usually go from nuetral to reverse...it takes about 3 -4 tries toget it moving.....i ussually start it, put it in reverse, and slowly release the clutch...i rev it a little when i see it's not moving.....also i prolly dont know when i've hit the friction point...how do i tell? (also am i supposed to do anythin different when i'm on a level ground and reversing?)
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

If you're just rolling backwards down a hill without anyone behind you, just shift to neutral and use the brakes to vary your speed. If it's busy, then you may need to hold in the clutch and shift into reverse.

Sometimes it's easier to shift into reverse if you shift into a forward gear first. Give it a try, see if it helps. :wink:
Last edited by Johnf514 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

hmm if you're reversing downhill then if you're off the brakes, parking brake is disengaged, and clutch is in (or you're in neutral) you should start rolling just from gravity. maybe your parking brake is still engaged or something is wrong with it?

to learn the friction point do no gas starts. the friction point is where the clutch starts to touch the flywheel, you should notice your rpms bobble a bit. see this thread: http://www.standardshift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3573

reversing downhill i usually just let gravity do the work. reversing on flat is just some clutch slip and playing with the clutch, usually not ever getting fully engaged and not using any gas. reversing uphill is the trickiest, depending on how steep it is this is when you might need to fully engage the clutch and use some gas.