New member

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Post Reply
MazdaMetalhead
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Cars: Mazda 6, Dodge Daytona

New member

Post by MazdaMetalhead » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi all, I know this site is not very active, which is a shame. We all know that in the US, the automatic far outnumbers we enthusiasts. Personally, I'll drive a manual until I'm physically unable to (hopefully another 40+ years). Currently I have 3 manuals in the stable: 04 Mazda6 wagon, 88 Dodge Daytona 2.5L, and the newest addition is an 05 Mazda 3 2.3L.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7588
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: New member

Post by potownrob » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:14 am

Welcome to the SS!! :D :twisted:
Nice wheels you have there. Yes, the forum is slow most of the time, but people do come in here and post from time to time; it seems to come in waves. I once felt the same way as you, but have mellowed my views on manual or bust in recent years. i have a second car which is manual, but don't drive it much, maybe once or twice a week. to be young... :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

MazdaMetalhead
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Cars: Mazda 6, Dodge Daytona

Re: New member

Post by MazdaMetalhead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks for responding. I don't live anywhere near bumper to bumper traffic so I'd have very few reasons to give up a daily manual any time soon (knock on wood). I find driving overall pretty boring with most cars, and being forced to shift makes it much less so.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11067
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: New member

Post by Rope-Pusher » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 pm

MazdaMetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm
Thanks for responding. I don't live anywhere near bumper to bumper traffic so I'd have very few reasons to give up a daily manual any time soon (knock on wood). I find driving overall pretty boring with most cars, and being forced to shift makes it much less so.
I'll be mellow when I'm dead.

My idea of a productive evening is to go to a parking lot, crawl under the cars, and snip the trans cooler lines. Sure, once in a while you run across an Amish car with trans cooler lines, like a Hellcat or Viper, but mostly if you find cooler lines it's a slushbox.

Unfortunately, I've begun to think that I'm not really getting any Amish converts, but instead I am making transmission shops a little richer.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7588
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: New member

Post by potownrob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:24 am

MazdaMetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm
Thanks for responding. I don't live anywhere near bumper to bumper traffic so I'd have very few reasons to give up a daily manual any time soon (knock on wood). I find driving overall pretty boring with most cars, and being forced to shift makes it much less so.
believe me when eye say it has more to do with me than my environment. not too much heavy traffic here in general (dutchess county FTW), but my body is getting old. :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

MazdaMetalhead
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Cars: Mazda 6, Dodge Daytona

Re: New member

Post by MazdaMetalhead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 pm
MazdaMetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm
Thanks for responding. I don't live anywhere near bumper to bumper traffic so I'd have very few reasons to give up a daily manual any time soon (knock on wood). I find driving overall pretty boring with most cars, and being forced to shift makes it much less so.
I'll be mellow when I'm dead.

My idea of a productive evening is to go to a parking lot, crawl under the cars, and snip the trans cooler lines. Sure, once in a while you run across an Amish car with trans cooler lines, like a Hellcat or Viper, but mostly if you find cooler lines it's a slushbox.

Unfortunately, I've begun to think that I'm not really getting any Amish converts, but instead I am making transmission shops a little richer.
"Amish"?

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: New member

Post by IMBoring25 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:30 pm

The Amish are known most prominently for their rejection of modern technological conveniences (notwithstanding the special case of Rumspringa). Certain posters here have taken to using it as a shorthand for those who reject the modern technological convenience of a transmission that shifts itself.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7588
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: New member

Post by potownrob » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:28 am

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :twisted: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

MazdaMetalhead
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Cars: Mazda 6, Dodge Daytona

Re: New member

Post by MazdaMetalhead » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 am

Ok, so I forgot to post my cars. Here's my Daytona:
Image

And here's my Mazda 6 wagon:
Image

The Mazda 3, which is still very much a work in progress:
Image

Post Reply