Greetings from Southwest Ohio

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Subaru Outback

Greetings from Southwest Ohio

Post by mapman85 »

I've been reading this site for awhile but decided to join up in case I have a few questions. It has provided some of the most useful information from all my various Google searches. So thank you!

I'm in my mid/late 20s and decided back in September (2011) to finally say goodbye to the very reliable but aging car I had been driving since high school (2002 Toyota Corolla auto). Ever since my uncle had let me shift gears as a child in his Suzuki Samurai, and subsequently taught me to drive it one time after I got my license, I wanted a MT. Being that I currently live in a mid size town that is relatively flat, I thought now may be the best opportunity I have to "get used" to driving one. So I took the plunge on a 2009 Subaru Outback, base model with a 5MT, which had come off a lease with around 25,000 miles. Several of my friends when I lived in Utah enjoyed their Subarus, and it seemed practical for snow (not this year!) and for tossing my bike in the back without bothering with a rack. Plus I don't particularly care for the newer models, and the deal was hard to pass up.

After stalling/bucking several times on the way home for the dealership, I thought I had made the worse decision of my life! I have gotten to the point where it is mostly second nature and enjoyable, but I still get frustrated with my lack of consistency being smooth (and/or the car's quirks) and still get a little nervous with hills/traffic.

My dad has driven manuals so he can answer some of my questions, but it is still nice to find a place to seek expert opinions. I look forward to the continued helpful dialogue!

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5MT
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Re: Greetings from Southwest Ohio

Post by Warner »

Welcome and nice Subie! Buying that car before you knew how to drive a manual was a ballsy move! No worries, though; the more you get used to driving a manual, the more you'll be happy you bought one. Anyway, feel free to ask any questions you have.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Welcome!
We like us some SuperPoos around here
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Great choice on the car. Welcome!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mapman85 »

Thanks all. Love the car so far, just had (have) to deal with the learning curve.
Warner wrote:Buying that car before you knew how to drive a manual was a ballsy move!
Well, I "knew" how to drive a manual, but only had very limited experience with the footwork. A good test drive (I had the salesman take me to a quiet area :) ) probably artificially boosted my confidence as well. So yes, it was very ballsy and completely against my normal personality. In the end, I think I would have regretted passing it up more than buying it. Sometimes I almost have to pinch myself that I actually have a MT car after always wanting one. I'd say that's good!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

mapman85 wrote:Well, I "knew" how to drive a manual, but only had very limited experience with the footwork. A good test drive (I had the salesman take me to a quiet area :) ) probably artificially boosted my confidence as well. So yes, it was very ballsy and completely against my normal personality. In the end, I think I would have regretted passing it up more than buying it. Sometimes I almost have to pinch myself that I actually have a MT car after always wanting one. I'd say that's good!
Image Just like my story.

Welcome.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome! I also didn't "know" how to drive manual when I bought my first car. I had learned the academic part of it, and had driven a friend's manual a few months prior for all of 5 minutes, but other than that, I was green around the gills. It was scary at first, but it was a worthy decision.
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Welcome: I am also from S.W. Ohio, in the Cincinnati area. If you pull up to behind a Grey Honda Element with a 5-Speed emblem on the back, then that would most likely be me shifting through the gears.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Welcome to the club and nice Subaru!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Welcome! I also didn't "know" how to drive manual when I bought my first car. I had learned the academic part of it, and had driven a friend's manual a few months prior for all of 5 minutes, but other than that, I was green around the gills. It was scary at first, but it was a worthy decision.
WERD!!!

This is my story too. I'd driven around in my friend's Mustang previously, but it was piped (as in not exactly legal) and I only ever had a chance to drive it at 2 in the morning. Was always nervous, but had some fun.

13 months after buying my Banshee, after having taken much advice from the peeps over here, I'm having a great time.

Welcome to the board, OP!!!

You're in a good place if you're a n00b, like me. :D
94Corolla5Speed wrote:green around the gills
You puked a lot?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Welcome! I'd driven my wife's vehicle (5-MT) some but not often before we ended up replacing it with the Fiesta 5-speed. No regrets at all.

Just don't be nervous if you stall. To put it in church latin: excrementus occurrus. It's no big deal, just have fun driving :D
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

tankinbeans wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:green around the gills
You puked a lot?
D'oh! I meant green behind the ears! :lol:
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mapman85 »

Thanks all for the kind welcomes.

I imagine there are quite a few people who share similar stories. One of my friends bought a MT Impreza with little previous experience. When I bought my car, the salesman told me a story of a girl who was dead set on buying a car with a MT, but had no experience driving one. He had to subsequently suffer through bad driving and this girl and her boyfriend arguing about driving techniques. So I took some solace that at least I basically knew what I was doing. :)
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

HOLY SHIT ANOTHER OHIOAN!
Head to the bunker, the apocalypse is at hand!
(J/K) What part of SW OH? Pardon my prying, just curious.
One more Ohioan to combat the Michigan we got goin' on here.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mapman85 »

Wilmington. And don't get too excited, I'm not a native Ohioan. I've only lived here 2 years and won't be living here forever. So I don't know if I have any credibility fighting the Michigan battle.