New from Jersey

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
threeseven
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Mustang

New from Jersey

Post by threeseven »

Hey guys, just found this forum and figured I'd sign up. I've been driving stick for years and don't plan on changing. My car is a 2012 Mustang v6. It's a completely base model, no extras and I love it. I look forward to learning more and hopefully helping out on here. Thanks!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: New from Jersey

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

threeseven wrote:Hey guys, just found this forum and figured I'd sign up. I've been driving stick for years and don't plan on changing. My car is a 2012 Mustang v6. It's a completely base model, no extras and I love it. I look forward to learning more and hopefully helping out on here. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Those new V6 Mustangs are pretty fast now...not like the old days when the V6 Mustang was a slug.

There's a guy on YouTube who posted a video of himself racing his 4.6 V8 Mustang against the updated V6 Mustang and it was surprisingly close. So yeah, those new V6 Mustangs are runners now....
threeseven
Junior Standardshifter

Post by threeseven »

yeah, it is quick, I love it. Doesn't have the low-end torque of the old V8 but keep it above 3k and it hauls. Plus with a 7k redline theres room to run.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Now I have a serious question. Would you have rather bought the v8?

I don't mean to imply on financial difficulties or come off as a snob. I have discovered that in the case of the new stang and camaro, not everyone actually wants the v8 due to good performance of the 6.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
threeseven
Junior Standardshifter

Post by threeseven »

Honestly, even if I had the money at the time to buy the 5.0, I would not have if every other facet of my finances were the same. Meaning, if the 5.0 had been the same price for some reason on that day but nothing else was different I would have still bought my 6. This car is my daily driver, and it has more than enough power to entertain me everyday, while still getting good mileage and much lower insurance rates. No one can deny that the 5.0 is a MONSTER but I just don't need that kind of performance.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome! I've heard some videos of the new V6 Mustang with an exhaust and it really does sound damn good and now with 305 HP it's really got the beans to back it up. Congrats!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

threeseven wrote:Honestly, even if I had the money at the time to buy the 5.0, I would not have if every other facet of my finances were the same. Meaning, if the 5.0 had been the same price for some reason on that day but nothing else was different I would have still bought my 6. This car is my daily driver, and it has more than enough power to entertain me everyday, while still getting good mileage and much lower insurance rates. No one can deny that the 5.0 is a MONSTER but I just don't need that kind of performance.
Yeah, people are starting to realize that you still get very good performance with the new V6 engine. The V8 power is nice, but in all honestly it is beyond what anyone really needs (not wants) for a street driven car. If I were to buy a new Mustang tomorrow, I'd have a really hard time justifying the V8 engine if the car was my daily driver. If it was a weekend car or just a track car, the decision would be much easier. For a daily driver, I think the combination of power & economy just makes the V6 a better choice for most people.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I could only buy the V8 Stang. If I bought the V6, I'd always have the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" nag in the back of my head.

Oddly enough, I have realized that I dislike owning a lesser trim of a given vehicle. The reason isn't, again, snobby or whatever, but simple: I like the car, that's why I have it in the first place, thus I would like it that much more with a bigger motor, more gadgets, better this and that. Thus getting a lowe trim doesn't make too much sense.

Rubi's story is a bit different. I specifically wanted the Rubi axles, diff locks and t-case that you can't get on a Wrangler of any other trim.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:
Oddly enough, I have realized that I dislike owning a lesser trim of a given vehicle. The reason isn't, again, snobby or whatever, but simple: I like the car, that's why I have it in the first place, thus I would like it that much more with a bigger motor, more gadgets, better this and that. Thus getting a lowe trim doesn't make too much sense.
Well, my A5 can be considered the "lower" model next to the S5, but I actually prefer the A5 for several reasons. The S5 has a V8, but its not really all that powerful. Lots of A5 guys bolt on an upgraded turbo & a tune to run just as fast (or faster) than the V8 S5. So it's pretty inexpensive and easy to make an A5 as fast as an S5. On the other hand, the naturally aspirated V8 engine just can't easily get any real power gains without major mods and lots of $$$.

And if you're not a power junkie, the A5 is a better balanced car. It is close to a 50/50 weight distribution, thanks to the smaller & lighter engine. The lower curb weight makes the car handle and brake better too if you have the sports package on the car like I do. Basically, the sports pkg gives the car the same suspension, same size wheels and tires, etc as the S5. It really makes the A5 into an S5 without the V8.

Finally, I prefer the trim details of the A5 over the S5. To most people, the cars appear completly identical, but there are small differences in appearance, such as wheel design, the front grille, and other small trim pieces. The only thing I like better on the S5 is the quad exhaust tips. But overall, the A5 was the much more appealing choice and te car I ended up purchasing.
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

Welcome threeseven and congrats on the new car! Bet it is a beauty. Pix?
2012 Honda Fit 5MT!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Good point. I'll take my banter elsewhere.

Let's see some pics!
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

Shadow wrote:
Well, my A5 can be considered the "lower" model next to the S5, but I actually prefer the A5 for several reasons. The S5 has a V8, but its not really all that powerful. Lots of A5 guys bolt on an upgraded turbo & a tune to run just as fast (or faster) than the V8 S5. So it's pretty inexpensive and easy to make an A5 as fast as an S5. On the other hand, the naturally aspirated V8 engine just can't easily get any real power gains without major mods and lots of $$$.
Yes, but

Anyways to the OP - welcome to the site. That you enjoy your car is the most important thing. Most folks with insanely powerful cars don't ever use more than 50% of their car's potential anyway.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
threeseven
Junior Standardshifter

Post by threeseven »

hmmm. it won't let me upload a picture
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Welcome.

Uploading pictures to forums is hit-or-miss...maybe more miss than hit. It's much easier to just upload to a photo hosting site like Photobucket.com or Tinypic.com and embed your images in a post by pasting the [IMG] codes provided by the hosting site.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD