Greetings from Manitoba!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Atara
Junior Standardshifter

Greetings from Manitoba!

Post by Atara »

Hello!

My husband and I were looking for a list of new cars that are available with manual transmissions, and stumbled across this forum. What luck!

I've been driving sticks since my very first car, and it's pretty much a non-negotiable feature on any car that we're purchasing. We are retiring my 1996 Saturn SL1 with honours - that little car owes me nothing. :) A fifteen year old car with a factory clutch - can't ask for better than that. (The clutch is starting to show signs of wear, and since replacing the clutch would cost more than the car's worth we figured it's time to retire him.)

We currently have a 2008 VW Eos, so we're looking for another "utility" car for commuting, errands, hauling friends and family around, etc. We've narrowed it down to two main contenders: a VW Golf Sportwagen TDI (this is badged as the Jetta Sportwagen TDI in the US, but it's the same car) and a Subaru Outback.

Does anyone have any experience with either car? We'd love to hear your review. Thanks!
Current:
  • 2008 Volkswagen Eos
  • 1996 Saturn SL1
Dearly Departed:
  • 1993 Ford Probe GT
  • 1985 Toyota Tercel
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Re: Greetings from Manitoba!

Post by 4onthefloor »

My first suggestion was actually going to be a golf wagon, even before I read your ideas. However as a Subaru fanatic I have to go with the Outback.

Drive a bunch of cars and see what you like. I think you might like the AWD of the Subie for that Manitoba weather.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

VW Golf R??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

I think they're both great choices. Just choose whichever you like and what suits you and your family best. Either way, another member on the boards is a good thing :o . I have sadly not driven either, but I did drive a WRX wagon a while back, which I found to be pretty nice in terms of space and response.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The Sportwagen TDI ought to be a great choice.

It's a shame to retire that SL1 just because of the clutch replacement. Where are you located, what is its condition apart from the clutch issue, and how much are you looking to get for it? I'm on another forum with people who may want it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Atara
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Atara »

We test drove both cars today. We really liked the handling and acceleration of the VW, and the gas mileage on the TDI is hard to beat. On the other hand, the Outback has much higher clearance and better handling on loose gravel road, which would come in handy during our winters (since the city seems to think that plowing back lanes is the lowest thing on their priority list...)

We're going to think about it for a little while. There are pros and cons to both cars.
theholycow wrote:It's a shame to retire that SL1 just because of the clutch replacement. Where are you located, what is its condition apart from the clutch issue, and how much are you looking to get for it? I'm on another forum with people who may want it.
Actually, the thought of selling the Saturn hadn't even crossed our minds, mostly because we figured we'd get a pittance for it. We were going to donate it to a local charity, and would probably get a $900 tax receipt or so.

Aside from the clutch, one (or two?) of the front wheel bearings is going. This is the second time in two years they've been replaced. Also, the brake shoe mounting keeps coming loose and needs to be spot-welded every few years. Other than that, it's got the usual sorts of quirks that a car with 103,000 (mostly city) miles would have - stone chip in the windshield, wonky wiring in one of the taillights, etc. We're located in Winnipeg, MB Canada. The car was originally imported from the States, though, so the odometer and speedometer are in miles.
Current:
  • 2008 Volkswagen Eos
  • 1996 Saturn SL1
Dearly Departed:
  • 1993 Ford Probe GT
  • 1985 Toyota Tercel
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay. Its a tough choice between the subaru and TDi wagon. I think i would have gone the TDi route.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Welcome! And personally, I'd go with the TDI, though I'm partial to diesels (in most instances)...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome! My friend has a 2010 Subaru Outback 4 cylinder with the CVT, and it is HUGE. Apparently the seats are very uncomfortable for long journeys also. That said, around town and during winter it is a pretty nice car. Although personally I would take the TDI.
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Forester XT
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

I believe the TDi cars are much cheaper in Canada, compared to what they are sold for in the states. Even at US prices, it's a good car, so I vote for the Sportwagen.