LastXdeth Aboard!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
LastXdeth
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Ford Focus SE

LastXdeth Aboard!

Post by LastXdeth »

Hey standard shifters! I found this site a couple of months ago from a YouTube video that was demonstrating the basics of driving a manual transmission car. I've read a lot of the FAQs and it was pretty nice, so I decided to join the forums.

I decided to learn how to drive a stick because a lot of my foreign relatives drive one. It would be a pain if I were to borrow one of their cars and have no idea what to do. Also, passing someone in a two-lane highway with an automatic is so slow. Automatics have a brain of their own when it comes to gear changing...

I am not very technically inclined when it comes to cars, so bear with me as I ask questions. Thanks!
2014 Ford Focus SE (Hatchback)
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: LastXdeth Aboard!

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome!

No worries, we like answering all sorts of questions. Lots of knowing folk around here.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

What's the deal with your username?

Automatics aren't as much fun as manuals but, with less effort/learning/practice than manuals, they can be just as effective...though it does take more effort/learning/practice than most people ever bother with. You could, for example, downshift ahead of time. If you have an American car then you can simple shove the gas pedal to the floor and it will downshift immediately to its lowest gear (I'm told by others here that Hondas and Toyotas do not behave that way though).

Anyway, I hope you master automatic and manual transmissions. Read existing posts, search for old ones, and post questions that you can't find answers to already...we'll set you straight.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

welcome!!!!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LastXdeth wrote:..... bear with me as I ask questions. Thanks!
In Soviet Russia, Bear with us!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
LastXdeth
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Ford Focus SE

Post by LastXdeth »

theholycow wrote:Image

What's the deal with your username?

Automatics aren't as much fun as manuals but, with less effort/learning/practice than manuals, they can be just as effective...though it does take more effort/learning/practice than most people ever bother with. You could, for example, downshift ahead of time. If you have an American car then you can simple shove the gas pedal to the floor and it will downshift immediately to its lowest gear (I'm told by others here that Hondas and Toyotas do not behave that way though).

Anyway, I hope you master automatic and manual transmissions. Read existing posts, search for old ones, and post questions that you can't find answers to already...we'll set you straight.
That's the username I used for online gaming for eons, so I used it universally with every of my online communities. I know it sounds weird.
2014 Ford Focus SE (Hatchback)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LastXdeth wrote:
theholycow wrote: What's the deal with your username?
That's the username I used for online gaming for eons, so I used it universally with every of my online communities. I know it sounds weird.
Get w/the program here. Everyone else has such logical, white-bread and bologna usernames and you come in here with this weirdness.

You DO know that TheHolyCow was a spiritual leader in India, before he heard his new herd calling and sailed on a rubber raft all the way to Rhode Island, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"