Hello all

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Lboogs
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '02 Mazda Protege

Hello all

Post by Lboogs »

semi new member here, been lurking since '08, but forgot username and old email address. I must say this site has been very helpful when I first started driving stick. I just had a question that has been bugging me lately. It is regarding SCTH downshifts/rev matching.

I'm trying to get a handle on bliping the throttle. To me a blip seems like something that makes a quick appearance then goes. So I assumed you just tap the throttle. When I watch vids online it sounds like they rev the engine pretty high. I find if I do blip/tap to match the revs it isn't high enough and I end up jerking the car. If I go by what I hear on the vids I feel like I am doing more harm than good reving so high {4.5k - 5k}. Ex. 4th gear doing 40 +mph, traffic ahead but moving slowly, clutch in shift to 3rd while adding gas and raising rpm/rev matching. should my foot stay on gas until I let up clutch? Or should I clutch in tap/blip throttle then shift to 3rd?

Also I don't know if this is bad or not. I was told you don't burn the clutch while completely depressed to the floor. Is this true? When entering my complex coming off a long stretch of road doing 45-50, I have to make a right turn. What I've been doing is clutch in shift to 2nd, start braking still holding in the clutch till I complete the turn and the vehicle is at an appropriate speed for 2nd gear. Then I let up the clutch and add small amount of gas to continue the turn. Is that bad to do? Should I just start braking while in 4th, then slow speed and shift to 2nd and complete the turn?
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Re: Hello all

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome to SS, I am the resident Porkchop.
Bemvindo a SS, eu sou o residente Porkchop.

I might answer your questions later.
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

Welcome to the site.
Lboogs wrote: I'm trying to get a handle on bliping the throttle. To me a blip seems like something that makes a quick appearance then goes. So I assumed you just tap the throttle. When I watch vids online it sounds like they rev the engine pretty high. I find if I do blip/tap to match the revs it isn't high enough and I end up jerking the car. If I go by what I hear on the vids I feel like I am doing more harm than good reving so high {4.5k - 5k}. Ex. 4th gear doing 40 +mph, traffic ahead but moving slowly, clutch in shift to 3rd while adding gas and raising rpm/rev matching. should my foot stay on gas until I let up clutch? Or should I clutch in tap/blip throttle then shift to 3rd?
My technique currently is to blip the throttle to the desired RPM, go completely off the gas and let out the clutch. Last 2 happen almost simultaneously. Which is what it sounds like you've been doing. If you find your blip doesn't raise the rpm enough, be more agressive with it. You probably have DBW throttle, and with that you sometimes have to tap it to the floor to get the rpms where you want them. The way some systems are calibrated, you have to hold the gas down a little bit longer until the rpms come up. In any case, I think you should be completely off the gas when you clutch out.
Lboogs wrote:Also I don't know if this is bad or not. I was told you don't burn the clutch while completely depressed to the floor. Is this true? When entering my complex coming off a long stretch of road doing 45-50, I have to make a right turn. What I've been doing is clutch in shift to 2nd, start braking still holding in the clutch till I complete the turn and the vehicle is at an appropriate speed for 2nd gear. Then I let up the clutch and add small amount of gas to continue the turn. Is that bad to do? Should I just start braking while in 4th, then slow speed and shift to 2nd and complete the turn?
When you hold the clutch down there is a little bit of wear on the throwout bearing. Which may wear it out a little quicker a long long time from now. This is when you sit at lights in gear with clutch down. What you are doing won't hurt anything, although to me it seems a little awkward. I'd stay in gear a bit longer, until right before the turn, and then do as you've been doing.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

On blipping: It's entirely up to you, whatever works for you is fine. I think that most people on this forum prefer to really jab the pedal hard and let it exceed their target RPM. I like to come in just right or slightly low. I too just give it a quick jab, and with much practice my foot has calibrated to my car so that I can jab for my target RPM. I dump the clutch as the RPM is rising and I catch it at exactly the right time.

However, if you would prefer to feather the throttle and hold it at the right RPM, you're welcome to do that...it's just more difficult and takes longer.

As far as comparing to the videos: In the videos you're watching, if they're blipping up to 4500RPM then they're probably doing an aggressive downshift for aggressive acceleration (with the possible exception of a Honda). If you plan on being aggressive then you'll need to choose a gear that will give you that RPM and blip right up to there. Yes, it's a little more wear on the car than a smaller blip and a taller gear, but that's the cost to drive fast.

On flooring the clutch through the turn: It's absolutely 100% fine. Enjoy doing it the way you like.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Lboogs
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '02 Mazda Protege

Post by Lboogs »

^^^^^

Thank you both for your responses, very insightful. I will just have to practice till I get just right.

THanks
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey, welcome!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 2SS Camaro

Post by beowulf80 »

Welcome to SS!

Not exactly a response to your question, but here's what I've been doing for a similar situation. Going home I take a LH turn from a 50mph. What I've been doing instead of a SCHT downshift is a normal downshift a bit early before I would start breaking. I can do this because I know the turn is coming, so I have plenty of time. So I downshift from 5th-6th gear down to 3rd. Its requires about a 2K "blip" up to 3K rpm on my car. Yours will differ. Since my right foot is already lightly resting on the gas I basically only have to clutch in quickly and let the rpms raise. I clutch out once the rpms match my target for 3rd gear at speed. The reason I'm liking this is now the engine is running at 3K, a relatively high speed. I can now take advantage of engine breaking, saving some wear on my brakes. I'll then pull through the turn in 3rd gear @~20mph and accelerate away. Its nice that you are not having to do a balance of clutch, gas and steering this way. If there's traffic and I have to slow down even more I will do a SCHT downshift to 2nd from 3rd. But with gears that close in ratio it doesn't take too much of a blip. Try it out, its nice to be in your final gear before you start the turn, I'm digging it.

EDITED to fix some terrible grammar mistakes.
Last edited by beowulf80 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.