Re-introduction, new daily driver

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
cls12vg30
Senior Standardshifter

Re-introduction, new daily driver

Post by cls12vg30 »

Hey all,
I frequented this board for awhile a few years ago. Since then, my 1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6 has been on and off the road, so I had extended periods where I exclusively drove my wife's 2006 Civic auto. In such times, being on this board simply caused me too much pain...it made my clutch foot ache. :lol:

Anyways, late last year we decided to rid ourselves of the '06 Civic, a.k.a The Car You Can't See Out Of, and replaced it with an '06 CR-V. My wife's work and school schedule was changing, she was going to be driving a lot more, and the forward visibility in a new-generation Civic really is awful. So I got the '88 200SX on the road one last time to get me through until I was in a position to get a new daily driver, which I have now done. The 230K-mile '88 still runs alright, but the tranny is going, other little things are starting to crop up, and my wife really wanted me to have a car with more modern safety features, and maybe a smoother ride (the '88 has a 1/2" spring drop all around. It can be bone-rattling at times.) So I recently pulled the S12 off the road for the foreseeable future, once I finish cleaning out my garage she's going in there for an extended refurbishment, and probably preparation for the track, or at least AutoX.

For my new DD, I managed to snap up the only B14 SE-R I could find for sale within 150 miles. Fortunately, it also happened to very close by, in excellent condition, low-mileage, and loaded. I bought it from a local performance dealer called Weaver Motorsports, who specialize in German cars, but the owner has always had a soft spot for Nissans and Datsuns, so they occasionally snap one up with the right one comes along.

I was considering mid-'90s Preludes and Integras as well, but I'm glad I decided on this car. It's a '96 200SX SE-R, with an SR20DE and a close-ratio 5-speed, loaded with every option except ABS, and just over 96K miles.

Front View (I had the deco plate made at a kiosk at the mall.)

Rear View:

Interior View:

Parked with the '88 200SX when I first brought home the SE-R:

The SE-R is going to stay pretty stock, since it's a DD and I already have a project car. The only thing I've done so far besides a good wash and wax was replace the original NGK Platinum plugs with NGK Copper V-powers. That made a huge difference in the performance and I expect the fuel economy as well. The old plugs obviously weren't working well anymore, the difference was so obvious. So my advice to anyone who might still have the original "100,000 mile" platinum plugs in their late-model car, and have anywhere NEAR 100K on the clock, is to get those things out of there ASAP.

Overall, the SE-R is a joy to drive. The SR20DE is has a nice even power delivery, the shifter is crisp, and it handles magnificently. I can actually hold higher speeds on exit ramps in this car than I can in the S12 with the lowering springs and upgraded shocks. I'll miss the RWD on the S12 for sure, but this is definitely the best-handling FWD car I've driven. I expected that, given that the previous car to hold that title was a '92 B13 Sentra SE that I used to have. And the SE-R has a sunroof, which I haven't had since my very first car (a 1982 Datsun 200SX!), and that was just a popup, this one powers all the way back into the ceiling. 8)

So I expect I'll be a more frequent visitor here at SS.com, now that I know I won't be banished to a PRND again anytime in the near future.
Christopher
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 1.4T 6MT
1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6 5MT
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: Re-introduction, new daily driver

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Sweet. Love the car and the custom front plate, very subtle but nice. Now go clean your headlights, it looks like someone smeared butter all over them :lol:

Welcome back!
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome to SS, I am the resident Porkchop.
Bemvindo a SS, eu sou o residente Porkchop.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

That should say welcome back to SS
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome back to SS, I am the resident Porkchop.
Bemvindo de volta a SS, eu sou o residente Porkchop.
cls12vg30
Senior Standardshifter

Post by cls12vg30 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Sweet. Love the car and the custom front plate, very subtle but nice. Now go clean your headlights, it looks like someone smeared butter all over them :lol:

Welcome back!
Thanks. I was really pleased with the way that plate came out. I took a close-up pic of the SE-R badge on the back, put it on a USB drive, and took it to the kiosk. They ran that image through their software to create a cutting template for their machine which was the exact font of the rear badge, and whipped it up in white-on-black, high-impact plastic, in about 30 minutes, for about $30. Well worth it if you ask me. What with the indent in the front bumper I had to put something there.

Do you have any advice about the best way to clean the lights? I have limited experience with rear-bulb halogens, as you can see I've been dealing with sealed beam lights like on the S12. I've seen the cleaning kits at the auto parts stores, but I've heard mixed review on how well they work. I know some shops also offer the service. What's the best way to go?

Thanks for the re-welcomes..it's really good to be back. I hope you all can understand why for awhile there I didn't want to read this forum. Can you imagine how much it hurt to read the posts here, then go out and slide into the driver's seat of the '06 Civic which I disliked for many reasons, but to look down at the PRND and sigh.......what made it even worse was that the 5-speed auto that lever was connected to was so STUPID. Never should have gotten the first year of a new design, with a new tranny, the first 5-speed auto Civic tranny ever.....

The CR-V, on the other hand, is hands down one of the overall best family vehicles I've ever experienced. It's an auto of course, but on a vehicle like that it's natural. But it handles like a car half its size, the 2.4-liter four pulls like a V6, and the interior is so practical and adaptable..I'm very pleased with it. I almost never drive it, but my wife is happy with it too, so it's all good.
Christopher
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 1.4T 6MT
1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6 5MT
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

welcome back :) i remember you from my days as scion_xA_gf....

nice car :)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Hey, glad to see you back around here! I recognized the avatar.

Nice new car, looks good. I'm sure you'll have a great time with it.

As for the headlights, I'd try some scratch remover polishing/rubbing compound... or some other minor abrasive... and then wax and buff them out.

Welcome back!
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Welcome! I'm not sure I can say re-welcome, since I wasn't here when you were first time around... but that's Neither here nor there.

Anyway, nice ride! I've owned a couple B13 and B14 Sentras in my day and have always loved the 200SX in that style.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

re-welcome back! nice looking DD you've got there. i hope it serves you well

i had the same ugly yellow headlight issue with my CL. i tried everything as far as chemicals are concerned.

this is the only thing that worked:
http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443784
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

Welcome back, dude! I was wondering when you'd pop back in here.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Congrats, nice car. It's rare to see one of those that isn't riced out.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Nice 200SX :). I've always liked them, but Warner pretty much summed up the condition of every single one I've seen here. Seeing one stock looks nice. Ha. I saw that saw FAQ for headlight cleaning on the same site. I need to do that too. But its only on one HL :?
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Have you tried the Meguiar's headlamp resto kit? I've seen good results with it.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

PlastX