Hello. I drive Saabs.

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
cactusleaf
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1997 Saab 900SE Turbo

Hello. I drive Saabs.

Post by cactusleaf »

Hello. I drive Saabs. I learned to drive stick on an old Saab 900.. which, incidentally, had an amazing clutch.

I've owned three cars.. well, 5 if you count my wife's car, and the car I bought and returned within a week once. It took months to get my money back. Anyway, they've all been old Saabs. The first was an automatic. As soon as I bought it, I kept hearing about how fun it was to drive a Saab 900 stick shift.. from uncles, friends, random people at Target. So I lusted after a stick.

Then I decided to just buy one. I found a red hatchback, stick shift and everything. 640 bucks. The previous owner drove it home for me, since I didn't have a clue how to drive it. But being who I am, I just hopped right in and taught myself how to drive stick then and there. That first drive was a little scary.. but somehow I didn't even stall. It took me about 3 minutes to fall in love with the intimacy I now felt with the car, now that I had control over the transmission and could feel the engine under my left foot. That hydraulic clutch was so smooth and so forgiving. I drove it out to my girlfriend's house just to see if I could. I learned pretty quick.

My current automovehicle is a 1997 Saab 900SE Turbo, stick shift. This is a different beast.. the new body style, and a cable clutch. I haven't gotten used to it yet, but it sure beats my wife's 1996 Saab 900SE Turbo automatic!

So, hi everybody! I'm passionate about driving stick! Incidentally I'll try to keep my posts less rambling than this one.
I miss my hydraulic clutch.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Hello. I drive Saabs.

Post by LHOswald »

don't worry about your post. thats how we all felt when he first drove stick. hence the reason we're here. welcome brother. you are now home
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Welcome, fellow Saaber!
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome to SS, I am the resident Porkchop.
Bemvindo a SS, eu sou o residente Porkchop.

Pictures are manditory.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome to SS! I had a brief stint (kinda still do) where I lusted over old 900's
cactusleaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cactusleaf »

I already love this forum. Thanks for the warm welcomes. As soon as I have time I'll get a picture up here and a sweet avatar and whatnot, so I fit in.

Watkins I was already a fan of yours as a lurker, what with your Saabish nature and all. Any experience with NG900 clutches? I'm having a small crisis with mine right now which I'll inquire about soon.

Corolla.. at some point you're going to have to bite the bullet and buy one. The urge will never die. Those old ones are a standardshifter's left foot's dream come true (as far as I'm concerned). Here: http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/1234811578.html Come on.. you know you wanna!
Last edited by cactusleaf on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Haha, this is for sale near me, I really want to go get it :lol:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/1234811578.html

looks awesome
cactusleaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cactusleaf »

HA I just edited my post once I saw where you were and put in that same link! Looks a little funky but those things are better when they're quirky. I say go for it.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

I would absolutely love to, I fell in love with the 900's because of their quirkiness, but alas, I have parents and there is not a chance in hell they would let me trade the Corolla for an old Saab...plus my dad hates the design :o :x
cactusleaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cactusleaf »

Aw man, screw that. My dad actually almost bought an old Saab once.. but he still thought I was crazy for buying one as my first car. He now drives.. get this.. a Toyota. Not a Corolla, but still. Anyway make it a point to buy one the second they don't have that kind of influence in your life. They'll think you're insane.

Incidentally, the time he almost bought the Saab he ended up with a Geo Storm hatchback, manual. Drove a Yugo too for a while. He drives complete junk piles.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

You on any of the Saab forums?
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

You're from westchester PA?!?! That was my first US home.
cactusleaf
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cactusleaf »

watkins wrote:You on any of the Saab forums?
Just saabcentral.. I've been posting a lot lately, but usually I have more of a life than as of late. I'm sort of having some seat-comfort-clutch-reaching issues so I'm all over the internets about it. You on there?

ColJessip, no Westechester county NY! Sorry to get your hopes up. But I did look at a Saab in King of Prussia, and bought my current car in Easton.
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Ah oh well. Close enough.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Welcome cactusleaf! We're glad to have you.

Jessip - That's funny, Bam Margera used to live in West Chester. I hung with him and some of the gang once when they were in Portland. Crazy bunch.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750