Amish Transmission Engineer Joins the Forum

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Amish Transmission Engineer Joins the Forum

Post by PILL »

Leedeth wrote:Welcome to the forums.

Lol, Amish transmission.
I drive a Jeep with a Muslim transmission. I would continue with a witty joke, but i don't want to piss too many people off :mrgreen:
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

This took a while to understand.

Are you just trying to be sarcastic, or insulting stick-shifters by going MT -> Amish transmission -> Luddite transmission?
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Well it was sunny in southeastern Michigan earlier this week. I sat on a picnic table on the bank of Paint Creek and downed some Guiness and coney dogs with my gearhead friends on St. Patrick's day.

Yes, manual transmissions are not generally noted as hosting cutting-edge technology and they require manual labor to operate, so I think describing them as being "Amish" is fairly accurate. I don't worry about Amish folk being offended. They have such slow internet connections that I'm sure they haven't seen my forum posts yet. Heck, they might even be proud to lend their moniker to such a noble piece of machinery.

While there have been some advances in the use of multi-cone synchronizers, "Paper" friction materials, special trans fluid additives for improved shift quality and, of course, an increase in the number of gear ratios offered, the technology hasn't advanced as much as it could have because the return on investment is so low. In most cases, a manual transmission is only offered begrudgingly, so that extra money can be made by keeping the automatic transmission optional and not “Standard” equipment. It is really difficult to justify investing much engineering time or production tooling to make changes to manual transmission designs, with production volumes being very low as they are in most of the world markets. In the North American market, the rise in automatic transmission sales stifled further improvements in manual transmissions. Europe is perhaps the only remaining major marketplace where manual transmissions still account for 85% of vehicle sales. Some of that can be attributed to fuel costs and driving patterns, but there seems to be a culture of personal responsibility and professionalism among European drivers that makes them eschew cupholders and automatic transmissions. They don’t mind, no, they are PROUD to be actively involved in the act of driving their automobiles.

I fear that here in the US of A we have lost the critical mass necessary to sustain manual transmissions in our marketplace. How many of the American population could learn to shift from their parents any more? ....could find a friend with a manual car to teach us? ....could find a manual car on a car dealer's sales lot? I think "leasing" accelerated this last trend. Dealers look at manual cars as being difficult to sell, and even more so to resell after coming off of a lease contract, since the percentage of the potential buyers that can drive a manual vehicle is at an all-time low. Enjoy them while you can!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

FWIW, there was no difficulty leasing my manual transmission car (and yes, I am fully aware of the nature and consequences of leasing and sometimes it DOES make sense for certain conditions).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

damnit...rom-pirate...ur from detroit area....noob5m is from stearling heights...i'm all alone in west michigan..

we should have ameet in lansing some time..
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Everybody should be at this year's meet!
</plug>
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200