mr. bad luck with stick shift

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
taktics
Junior Standardshifter

mr. bad luck with stick shift

Post by taktics »

Hey everyone here at Standard Shift I am relatively new at the art of stick shifting, but i did have a 300zx for a week. I bought it not being experienced on how to drive a stick shift, and i had him drive it to my apartment so i could practice. Well A day later I couldn't get the shifter to move in or out of gear when the car was running, but it switched gears fine when engine was off. The car then did not start for some reason, not due to bad engine but probably some security feature. I wasn't having a good time with the car so i sold it.

I realized that I was stupid for buying the car but now I want to start things off the right way. That was a year ago and now im 19, currently drive a grand am automatic and I am on a quest to learn everything I possibly can before buying another stick shift.

I really want one but i need to do it the right way this time.

Thank you for all those who took the time to read.

oh i forgot my name is Patrick
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Re: mr. bad luck with stick shift

Post by Leedeth »

How did you manage to sell a car that wouldn't even start? You really should've tried to fix that problem. I don't even know how you could've sold a car with those problems unless you sold it dirt cheap.

Anyway, welcome back to standard shifting. If possible you should learn to drive standard on a friend's car before you buy your own. Unless you're a quick learner and you're confident in your abilities...

Are you set on getting another 300ZX? We got a few members here who can point you in the right direction.
taktics
Junior Standardshifter

Post by taktics »

oh yeah it was able to start back up.. i just waited for my dad to come home then we both tried it again worked for him but not for me. it just wasn't for me =[

the shifter not being able to get into gear problem was very weird.. Everytime i seeked help and let someone else check it out it seem to work fine for them, but when it came to me it would always happen so i just don't know. fate is the only answer i can come up with.

Im planning on acura integra for my next vehicle once i save up.

anyways thanks!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Hello, and welcome
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Integra? Bleh. :evil:

300ZX is far better IMO. Even in NA form. Because it's RWD and has a V6.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

lol. get a type r. vtec teg would own zeds all day 8)
<3 fwd
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome to SS! If you're going for a teg, at the VERY least, get a GS. GS-R and Type-R are what you want to shoot for.

Good luck!
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

for all those with fwd cars that insult honda.... the teg type r is better than your car.

The Integra Type-R (DC2) was named as the best front-wheel-drive drivers' car ever by Evo Magazine in 2006.
<3 fwd
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I wonder if you weren't pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor? That would explain the shifting problem AND the starting problem.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

theholycow wrote:I wonder if you weren't pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor? That would explain the shifting problem AND the starting problem.
I was wondering the same, but I didn't want to seem mean...
taktics
Junior Standardshifter

Post by taktics »

Thanks guys for the welcoming, yeah im still pretty new with cars.. 300zx seemed a little bit too much for me, and I always liked the integra. I did press the clutch all the way down, the problems were just sometimes, the starting thing seemed to be some type of security mechanism. But yeah..anyways.. i was a noob back then and still a noob now

hopefully i can get out of my noob status thanks to standard shift!

I probably want to get a GSR .. type R seems too rare/expensive for me.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

^ Yea i think the others may be right, when going from auto to manual most people have to move their seat closer to the steering wheel so that they can fully depress the clutch without fully extending their leg. And tbh dude the 300zx having a v6 would have a decent helping of torque down low which would make launching easier.... fark i def would of kept it. I froff over zeds
<3 fwd
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

You're onto something, Bawked.

Driving a manual generally forces you into the correct seating position rather than the reclined, lazy auto driving position. There are too many average height people sitting in their cars with their head in the back passenger window.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:You're onto something, Bawked.

Driving a manual generally forces you into the correct seating position rather than the reclined, lazy auto driving position. There are too many average height people sitting in their cars with their head in the back passenger window.
Dude, when I drive an autotragic, people go "Why are you sitting so close?"
I just roll my eyes and explain to them if they're persistent.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

taktics wrote:Hey everyone here at Standard Shift I am relatively new at the art of stick shifting, but i did have a 300zx for a week. I bought it not being experienced on how to drive a stick shift, and i had him drive it to my apartment so i could practice. Well A day later I couldn't get the shifter to move in or out of gear when the car was running, but it switched gears fine when engine was off. The car then did not start for some reason, not due to bad engine but probably some security feature. I wasn't having a good time with the car so i sold it.

I realized that I was stupid for buying the car but now I want to start things off the right way. That was a year ago and now im 19, currently drive a grand am automatic and I am on a quest to learn everything I possibly can before buying another stick shift.

I really want one but i need to do it the right way this time.

Thank you for all those who took the time to read.

oh i forgot my name is Patrick
welcome to the board!

anyway yeah if your dad or a friend has a manual see if they can teach you once you figure it out its second nature really.
i'm not very good at stick either at the moment as mine is an auto but i plan on swapping it sometime.

oh and if you got pics of your cars you should post them in the members car section